Twitter: Archer: Keep an eye on Bobby Johnson for new TE Coach

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I know...still a who for me. Not even someones name I recognize as a former player. You're right build on the Linehan coaching tree only makes sense.
Former players as coaches are not always the way to go. Some say they relate better, I don't see a consistent pattern that says that is the case.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Former players as coaches are not always the way to go. Some say they relate better, I don't see a consistent pattern that says that is the case.
I agree but in some cases they can be. My comment on that was centered around a name I would recognize. I thought one of the guys who they had interest in was a former player in the 90s. The current guy I just haven't heard of as either a former player or a coach anywhere.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you don't. Linny isn't all world but this isn't his offense. This is a version, but is clearly JG's offense we've been running. Go look at the tape from Detroit and the Rams. We are not running his offense.

Linehan was a much more pass heavy coach with the Lions. That's really why he didn't make sense with Dallas. He had to adjust to run a more balanced offense.

khiladi

Reaction score
I was kind of hoping this read Bobby Carpenter to complete our council of greatness..

khiladi

Reaction score
No, you don't. Linny isn't all world but this isn't his offense. This is a version, but is clearly JG's offense we've been running. Go look at the tape from Detroit and the Rams. We are not running his offense.

Linehan was brought here specifically because Jerr didn’t want to change the play-book. He said with this move the terminology stays the same, but Linehan will be calling the plays. This was after Jason sabotaged efforts of Callahan to actually change the offense philosophically.

Jerry emphasized two points as a result of this change as opposed to Garrett:

1. He will get the ball to Dez, like he did with Calvin Johnson

2. He will run the ball, like he did with Bush who was a 1000/1000 rusher and receiver in the scoring offense

The main problem from a personnel
standpoint now is Dak is the QB, who isn’t suited for this offense. They even drafted him as a situational guy to run ‘read/option’ in certain scenarios.

This basically creates a huge problem with Jerry’s continuity statements... keepzing Linehan around makes sense if you don’t want to completely change the offense, but Linehan would have to tailor his offense away from the Coryell that both he and Garrett, nobody the playbooks, call philosophically under.
With Romo you had a deep-arm aggressive QB.. with Dak you do not..
So I don’t see any real change..

So in reality, by continuity Jerry just probably means looking for any excuse to keep Garrett around while making token changes on the position coach level to make it appear there is going to be real change.