Twitter: Archer: Quinn is the favorite for DC

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
As far his scheme going back to marinelli days, they are real. That’s true but IMO what doomed the marinelli regime more than anything is that the cowboys let him have such a voice in the draft room because he was so respected. He insisted on fit instead of overall talent.

I don’t think that will happen again, I think McCarthy won’t draft like that and won’t give Dan Quinn that much authority like Garrett did to rod who was also given power by the Jones’s. If Quinn can come in implementing his scheme which is similiar to rod’s but work with the guys he’s dealt instead of forcing the team to draft fit I think he’ll be fine

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I like this. He’s led great Ds before. He’s what I was talking about earlier today..has street cred, has some skins on the wall and is fiery. If we got a young coordinator people would wonder why. I’m not sure where people expect to find a top D coordinator that isn’t already hired. At least this guy had a top D and went to the SB with them

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I like this (potential) hire. Most of the guys we have on defense now were drafted to play Quinn's style of defense. And I assume he'll bring more to the table than the old Rod Marinelli version.

A big problem in 2020 (besides the fact Mike Nolan should have never gotten the DC job given his past failures) was the players really didn't fit the scheme. My hope is Quinn gets the best out of these guys. Let's face it, they can't be much worse.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I like this. He’s led great Ds before. He’s what I was talking about earlier today..has street cred, has some skins on the wall and is fiery. If we got a young coordinator people would wonder why. I’m not sure where people expect to find a top D coordinator that isn’t already hired. At least this guy had a top D and went to the SB with them

Meh. Marinelli was the DL coach and assistant HC one the Super Bowl Bucs team from 2002. One of the best defenses the league as seen. He was the DC of Chicago's great defense that went to the NFC championship game and was a top seed in 2010. And we saw what he did here.

Seattle's defense he coached was light years away in terms of NFL time. Ancient. He will be another retread hire like Nolan, Marinelli and McCarthy.
"Safe" hires that don't rock the boat and boring. And won't progress anything.

Miller

Reaction score
Meh. Marinelli was the DL coach and assistant HC one the Super Bowl Bucs team from 2002. One of the best defenses the league as seen. He was the DC of Chicago's great defense that went to the NFC championship game and was a top seed in 2010. And we saw what he did here.

Seattle's defense he coached was light years away in terms of NFL time. Ancient. He will be another retread hire like Nolan, Marinelli and McCarthy.

Ok! I’ll bite then. Who do you want that is out there then? I’m meaning that in a gentle tone. I get where you’re coming from but I just don’t think there is a perfect guy out there or a stud in waiting that I’ve seen...unless a top D team has a young LB/secondary coordinator

32BellyOption

Reaction score

So would you rather hire a guy without a successful past? Who’s your guy?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Ok! I’ll bite then. Who do you want that is out there then? I’m meaning that in a gentle tone. I get where you’re coming from but I just don’t think there is a perfect guy out there or a stud in waiting that I’ve seen...unless a top D team has a young LB/secondary coordinator

The boat has already sailed but would have loved to hand the keys to Richard but we let him go for Nolan. See what he can do. All he did here was call plays from Marinelli's scheme and oversight. This wasn't his defense and control, though.

Miller

Reaction score
The boat has already sailed but would have loved to hand the keys to Richard but we let him go for Nolan. See what he can do. All he did here was call plays from Marinelli's scheme and oversight. This wasn't his defense and control, though.

But wouldn’t he be running a similar scheme as Quinn or the old Seattle system? I just wasn’t sure about him either. I just think you roll with one of these guys and they hit or you get lucky with say a young guy from Saints/Rams/Colts etc that are running a great D now

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yes, Quinn is getting a 2nd interview, although, that's no guarantee he'll be hired as our DC.

It's quite possible that some very tough questions are still likely to be asked and settled. o_O

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
One thing that worries me is how much of Seattle's defensive success is because Carroll has a specialty in defensive coordinating and coaching the secondary.

It's kind of like the dynamic of belichick's defensive coaches who continually flop when they leave from working under him.

If Quinn is hired I am willing to keep an open mind but it does concern me.