Archer: Sam LaPorta was the top TE on Cowboys board

JBS

Reaction score
3:15 mark of the video. LaPorta, Kincaid, Mayer. In that order.

Also at 6:30 he says Aidan O'Connell was a consideration in the 4th round with the pick they used on Fehoko.

Are you buying this or is the FO feeding the media bs?

DFWJC

Reaction score
He did end up going fairly early, but thats still surprising.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We liked laporta the predraft report was true, but that didn't mean they liked him at 26. If they did, he would have been the pick. They let that leak out 3 hours before that draft began. They didn't want to risk losing Mazi or bergeron at 26. It's not clever,or lying...it's just how teams maneuver on draft day. It's nothing new. We did the right thing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Which means the Bills traded up for no reason yet the story is set around the NFL world that they leapfrogged Dallas for Dalton Kincaid.
It's kind of funny. We bled all that information out about tight end but appear to have had no inclination to take one at 26. But the Bills apparently bought into it ... and even took the wrong one.

I wonder if Kincaid's back was the reason we had LaPorta higher. Back injuries are worrisome even if a player is able to pass a physical.

JBS

Reaction score
It's kind of funny. We bled all that information out about tight end but appear to have had no inclination to take one at 26. But the Bills apparently bought into it ... and even took the wrong one.

I wonder if Kincaid's back was the reason we had LaPorta higher. Back injuries are worrisome even if a player is able to pass a physical.
Yes. This franchise is so clever. That’s what they known for.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yes. This franchise is so clever. That’s what they known for.
Jerry's usually too open about what the Cowboys are going to do. They did a good job of keeping it under wraps this year, and even throwing in a misdirect. Credit where credit is due. Early predictions were right that we were looking at tight ends, though, just not quite as early as everyone thought.

Last year, they telegraphed the Tyler pick, but no one believed them. They were like, Nah, that can't be who they are targeting. Kind of telegraphed Williams, too.

JBS

Reaction score
Jerry's usually too open about what the Cowboys are going to do. They did a good job of keeping it under wraps this year, and even throwing in a misdirect. Credit where credit is due. Early predictions were right that we were looking at tight ends, though, just not quite as early as everyone thought.

Last year, they telegraphed the Tyler pick, but no one believed them. They were like, Nah, that can't be who they are targeting. Kind of telegraphed Williams, too.
Yes and they telegraphed Te this year and lost their guy

RS12

Reaction score

Archer: Sam LaPorta was the top TE on Cowboys board​

Odd in that he is not renowned for his blocking ability. Then again neither was Kincaid.

JBS

Reaction score

Archer: Sam LaPorta was the top TE on Cowboys board​

Odd in that he is not renowned for his blocking ability. Then again neither was Kincaid.
Correct. Very hard to know what the truth here is

I believe Kincaid was their top te target. Bills leapt them for a reason and took their guy. It was my gut feeling the entire pre draft process

fivetwos

Reaction score
If they didn’t want someone who couldn’t run block these rankings make little sense.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yes and they telegraphed Te this year and lost their guy
LaPorta? I think they lost him once they decided to take Mazi. I don't think he was making it to 58. The draft talking heads were saying they were hearing reports that other teams had him as their third-best tight end, and he was the second one taken (at 34), which kind of supports Dallas' evaluation.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Correct. Very hard to know what the truth here is

I believe Kincaid was their top te target. Bills leapt them for a reason and took their guy. It was my gut feeling the entire pre draft process
Multiple reports indicated that Dallas liked LaPorta best, even before Kincaid was taken. Could have been smoke, but that would be just speculation.