Archer: Sam LaPorta was the top TE on Cowboys board

MikeT22

Reaction score
Some teams trade up not because the team they are jumping in front of may take their guy, but due to the fear the team they are trading with may make a trade with another team looking to take the same player.

John813

Reaction score
Wonder what the issue with Hockenson was with the Lions. Traded him for a 2nd, then drafted at TE in the 2nd.
He was just starting to blossom too. Unless he wanted out/team didn't want a disruption in the locker room.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
3:15 mark of the video. LaPorta, Kincaid, Mayer. In that order.

Also at 6:30 he says Aidan O'Connell was a consideration in the 4th round with the pick they used on Fehoko.

A legit DE and legit TE in rounds 1 and 2. Solid draft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Also at 6:30 he says Aidan O'Connell was a consideration in the 4th round with the pick they used on Fehoko.

Love Laporta but that list makes little sense to me. Cowboys wanted a TE that could also block Laporta and KIncaid arent that.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I would love to see the Cowboys draft board. Mazi at 14 with a 2nd round grade Jerry said I am sure Kincaid was sitting at 10-11 with a first round grade. If Buffalo didn't jump that is all Jerry would be feeding us Im certain.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

He was the best overall fit for what we had going on on our team. Him, Mayer, and Schoonmaker. All great prospects, really. In today's NFL, nobody knows who will be better, who will be great out of that group. The talent out of this class was insane, but really cool to see. I hope that brings another element to the NFL. Of the group, . the easy answer is Mayer, but wouldn't be so fast. 4.6 40 is not bad for a TE, and you can improve on that to get to 4.5 if that's all you do for your job, and get paid for it, even if you are 25. There are ways he can get bigger, faster, stronger.. he just has to put in the work, and survive without having to do errands, like show up for a job, instead of focusing on it.. some of these guys just need to get paid.. The key is figuring out who will put in the work, and who won't.

You can play until 33-34 is, a lot of these guys, eventually. A lot depends on their drive, and a little luck.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
if anyone understands Jerry, if we truly wanted Kincaid, he would have traded up and overpaid for him during the draft. When he wants something, he goes and gets it, even if its wrong. See Mo Claiborne. The Kincaid narrative is funny because we never were in on taking him at 26, or La porta. We were enamored all along with finding a stud DT and from the jump, we were in on Mazi Smith. The fall back if he was gone was Bergeron, as we would have started him day 1 at LG. I always thought it was Mazi or Avila at 26..but word is it was Mazi AND Bergeron. So we had a plan.Buffalo overreacted and drafted a guy that wont do much year 1. Its a high price to pay to be wrong.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Love Laporta but that list makes little sense to me. Cowboys wanted a TE that could also block Laporta and KIncaid arent that.
What you want and what your draft board looks like aren't necessarily the same. They could have felt LaPorta and Kincaid were simply better players (higher on the draft board) than the other guys even if they would have preferred to find someone with a different skill set.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
if anyone understands Jerry, if we truly wanted Kincaid, he would have traded up and overpaid for him during the draft. When he wants something, he goes and gets it, even if its wrong. See Mo Claiborne. The Kincaid narrative is funny because we never were in on taking him at 26, or La porta. We were enamored all along with finding a stud DT and from the jump, we were in on Mazi Smith. The fall back if he was gone was Bergeron, as we would have started him day 1 at LG. I always thought it was Mazi or Avila at 26..but word is it was Mazi AND Bergeron. So we had a plan.Buffalo overreacted and drafted a guy that wont do much year 1. Its a high price to pay to be wrong.
You had to go back over a decade to find the last time Dallas traded up in the first. That's not how Jerry operates or has for a long time. We also know he wanted Manziel but they didn't take him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You had to go back over a decade to find the last time Dallas traded up in the first. That's not how Jerry operates or has for a long time. We also know he wanted Manziel but they didn't take him.
it is if he wants a guy. We clearly didn't see a guy. We waited for Mazi and it fell right.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Kincaid will be lucky to have 400 yards this year. Dawson Knox stands in his way and I'm sure they have another TE there as well. Thats why teams dnt draft TE's early. Kincaid was a massive reach at 25 .

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You’re limiting the possible scenarios.

The Cowboys could have valued LaPorta and Kincaid as one tier of receiving TEs and guys like Mayer and Schoonmaker as more traditional TEs on a second tier. That would be consistent with what Archer reported.

It’s clear they valued Mazi and the OL (Bergeron) as higher rated prospects on their board than any of the available TEs, so when both of those guys were available at #26, TE was no longer a consideration. They went with the highest rated prospect at a position of need…Mazi.

When LaPorta went off the board early in R2, they shifted their focus on the remaining tier 2 TE prospects.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Wonder what the issue with Hockenson was with the Lions. Traded him for a 2nd, then drafted at TE in the 2nd.
He was just starting to blossom too. Unless he wanted out/team didn't want a disruption in the locker room.
He's not special and so they didn't want to pay him. No different than Dalton Schultz.

It's why you never take a TE in the first round unless you think they are a special, special receiver.