Archer: Sam LaPorta was the top TE on Cowboys board

rambo2

Reaction score
He's not special and so they didn't want to pay him. No different than Dalton Schultz.

It's why you never take a TE in the first round unless you think they are a special, special receiver.
The back injury scares me about Kincaid.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You’re limiting the possible scenarios.

The Cowboys could have valued LaPorta and Kincaid as one tier of receiving TEs and guys like Mayer and Schoonmaker as more traditional TEs on a second tier. That would be consistent with what Archer reported.

It’s clear they valued Mazi and the OL (Bergeron) as higher rated prospects on their board than any of the available TEs, so when both of those guys were available at #26, TE was no longer a consideration. They went with the highest rated prospect at a position of need…Mazi.

When LaPorta went off the board early in R2, they shifted their focus on the remaining tier 2 TE prospects.
Why would they want Laporta when its clear they wanted an all around TE that could block?

Unless they dont care that he could block. But there were other TE's after Shoon that had showed better recieving skills that they passed on.

I would think that Mayer would have been more of a target as he was another well rounded TE. But we may never know.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Mazi was your top ranked DE.
I never heard of Mazi before. I told you, I don’t do mocks. What do I, or any of us, know about these players and if they’ll become good or great or a bust. Nothing. It’s why you were so wrong about Wentz and he became a bust.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never heard of Mazi before. I told you, I don’t do mocks. What do I, or any of us, know about these players and if they’ll become good or great or a bust. Nothing. It’s why you were so wrong about Wentz and he became a bust.
Kiper didn't have Mazi in his top 20 DEs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying.

I had Mazi my #2 DE behind Jalen Carter.

Carter, Mazi, Bresee, Witherspoon and Zay Flowers were my top 5.

IMG-1300.gif

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Wonder what the issue with Hockenson was with the Lions. Traded him for a 2nd, then drafted at TE in the 2nd.
He was just starting to blossom too. Unless he wanted out/team didn't want a disruption in the locker room.
My guess is they didn't want to pay Hock. His 5th year option was worth $10M, and then you have to start talking about a big second contract.

His production in Detroit that point had been pretty Schultz-ian, so I think they came to the same conclusion that Dallas did with Schultz. Just let him walk and draft his replacement.

The Vikings are different... TE is a key piece of their offense. McVay-style TEs see tons of targets in the passing game, but they also need to be good blockers so the offense can run out of light 11 fronts. Hock is the rare two-way TE these days who can handle both. Meanwhile, in Detroit he was just kind of a checkdown guy. I think it's a case where a player is simply more valuable to one team than another.

DanA

Reaction score
it is if he wants a guy. We clearly didn't see a guy. We waited for Mazi and it fell right.
I think we want that QB Paxton Lynch quite a bit but Jerry didn’t want to pay the price.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Why would they want Laporta when its clear they wanted an all around TE that could block?

Unless they dont care that he could block. But there were other TE's after Shoon that had showed better recieving skills that they passed on.

I would think that Mayer would have been more of a target as he was another well rounded TE. But we may never know.
How is it clear?

What receiving TE in the mold of LaPorta or Kincaid was available at #58?