News: Archer: Why Jerry Jones put Jimmy Johnson in Cowboys Ring of Honor (long)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
Dec 27, 2023, 06:00 AM ET

FRISCO, Texas -- Jerry and Jimmy. Jimmy and Jerry.

In 1989, when Jones bought the Cowboys and Texas Stadium for $140 million, he immediately fired Tom Landry and named Johnson coach. After winning one game that first season, the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in 1992. A year later, they won another.

And then it was over. Egos. Hurt feelings. Perceived disloyalty. A $2 million goodbye. Just like that.

One physical barrier has remained between them: the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor.

That changes Saturday at halftime of the Cowboys' game against the Detroit Lions (8:15 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN).

"Finally, that's all I can say," said Johnson's longtime assistant and close friend Dave Wannstedt.

Read the rest: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-put-jimmy-johnson-dallas-cowboys-ring-honor

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It took one final meeting for it to all come together. In late October, Cowboys executive vice president Charlotte Jones, Jerry's daughter, and Aikman, who has known Johnson since he was 14 years old, helped facilitate the two-hour conversation between Johnson and Jones at The Star.
Johnson was back in the Cowboys' fold. Jones was doing what so many wanted to be done a lot sooner.

"Terry Bradshaw made mention to me when we were together at the Hall of Fame, every time I'm with Jerry, we tell old stories and laugh and cut up and have great, great memories because both of us are extremely proud of what we were able to do," Johnson said.

"And Bradshaw told me, 'Geez, you two guys when you get together, it's like two brothers. There's a strong feeling between the two of you.' That's why people have never really understood the relationship."

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Laughing at Jerry managing to fit the "reconciliation" in the new Netflix documentary about the 90's Cowboys. PT Barnum. :laugh:

Figured if it wasn't Irvin, it was Aikman who got them back together. Charlotte had a big role too, maybe she should be the GM, and not Stephen.

Since Jimmy left football a long time ago, he has told his side of the story many times. Would be interested to hear Jerry's side, but I do believe Jimmy when he mentions in his autobiography about Jerry telling him he wanted to have fun and be involved in the operations.

Even today in Jerry's time with the press, it almost sounds like he is regurgitating what the coaches told him in some roundup, which is basically what Jimmy claims Jerry wanted to do.

Jimmy was a great press manipulator, especially as to how it affected his team, so I can see why this would bother him and appear to undermine him. Parcells not so much because I don't think he was insecure about it. Parcells knew how to wrap the media and players around his fingers, but I think even he saw the writing on the wall when Jerry went rogue and got TO.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks Charlotte Jones and Troy Aikman. I knew something significant must have helped modify Jerry Jones' thinking on the subject for this to have happened. It turned out to be 'someones'. The best chance of anything ever changing the status quo was for someone with influence within his inner circle to get involved. Good job.

rags747

Reaction score
Laughing at Jerry managing to fit the "reconciliation" in the new Netflix documentary about the 90's Cowboys. PT Barnum. :laugh:

Figured if it wasn't Irvin, it was Aikman who got them back together. Charlotte had a big role too, maybe she should be the GM, and not Stephen.

Since Jimmy left football a long time ago, he has told his side of the story many times. Would be interested to hear Jerry's side, but I do believe Jimmy when he mentions in his autobiography about Jerry telling him he wanted to have fun and be involved in the operations.

Even today in Jerry's time with the press, it almost sounds like he is regurgitating what the coaches told him in some roundup, which is basically what Jimmy claims Jerry wanted to do.

Jimmy was a great press manipulator, especially as to how it affected his team, so I can see why this would bother him and appear to undermine him. Parcells not so much because I don't think he was insecure about it. Parcells knew how to wrap the media and players around his fingers, but I think even he saw the writing on the wall when Jerry went rogue and got TO.
No, Parcells was at an age where he could no longer put in 70hr work weeks. His brother dying that season also played a huge roll. TO had zero to do with it.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Great article. Too bad Jimmy could not handle a Toast at the owners meetings!
It was definitely worth it to derail a possible 4 or 5 straight SB dynasty and no questions whatsoever of being the greatest team ever assembled. Jerry was proven right to do that. I mean, who the hell wants to maintain the greatest team ever? Gotta torpedo that! It's better that everyone talks about the Patriots anyway.

Motorola

Reaction score
Please win on this special night, Cowboys.
November 7th, 1993__the Dallas Cowboys defeated the New York GIants 31-9.
It was the game surrounding the illustrious day that Tom Landry was inducted into the Ring Of Honor.

EVERYONE - go watch our first Iconic - Legendary Coach's ceremony between now and when Jimmy Johnson is feted Saturday night.
That moment in the past will make this upcoming recognition more poignant to watch and appreciate.

rags747

Reaction score
Too bad that Jerry Jones couldn't read the room when he arrived at the table, and toasted to the Cowboys when people that he had fired, such as Bob Ackles and Brenda Bushell, were at the table.
And Jerry went on to become the $10B dollar man! Where are Bob and Brenda? Thought so…

ShortRound

Reaction score
Netflix cameras will be there. Great footage for his bio. What else would motivate Jerry to do it now? Paints him in a good light, closes an era in Cowboys history. God knows a Super Bowl is a long shot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Too bad that Jerry Jones couldn't read the room when he arrived at the table, and toasted to the Cowboys when people that he had fired, such as Bob Ackles and Brenda Bushell, were at the table.
His team had just won a Super Bowl...not the Five and Dime's Halloween sales parade...c'mon.

Mark

Reaction score
Any man of a certain age has seen prideful friends engage in futile, unnecessary squabbles when one or both have had too much to drink. And, sometimes, things are said or done that just can't be easily taken back. This was one of those cases...just on a more publicly-visible scale.

Still remember exactly where I was (driving home from work) when I heard the news on the radio. Almost ran my truck off a country road. So unfortunate. For the franchise, for the fans, and for the friendship & partnership of two ambitious, driven forces of nature.

Old men with time to reflect on the past often get an urge to mend fences, and remember the good times. I hope this is one of those occasions. I'm affording all involved the benefit of the doubt here, and am looking forward to Saturday.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
Dec 27, 2023, 06:00 AM ET

FRISCO, Texas -- Jerry and Jimmy. Jimmy and Jerry.

In 1989, when Jones bought the Cowboys and Texas Stadium for $140 million, he immediately fired Tom Landry and named Johnson coach. After winning one game that first season, the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in 1992. A year later, they won another.

And then it was over. Egos. Hurt feelings. Perceived disloyalty. A $2 million goodbye. Just like that.

One physical barrier has remained between them: the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor.

That changes Saturday at halftime of the Cowboys' game against the Detroit Lions (8:15 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN).

"Finally, that's all I can say," said Johnson's longtime assistant and close friend Dave Wannstedt.

Read the rest: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-put-jimmy-johnson-dallas-cowboys-ring-honor
I copied that article for reference, it had a lot in one place.