News: Archer: Why Jerry Jones put Jimmy Johnson in Cowboys Ring of Honor (long)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Parcells was at an age where he could no longer put in 70hr work weeks. His brother dying that season also played a huge roll. TO had zero to do with it.
Good post. But it will not sway their opinions.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too bad that Jerry Jones couldn't read the room when he arrived at the table, and toasted to the Cowboys when people that he had fired, such as Bob Ackles and Brenda Bushell, were at the table.
That is life in the NFL. Maybe there was a reason for it. We have no idea what went on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 4peat was *easily* there to be had.

Ironically, Jerry's desire to get the credit kept him from getting the credit for the greatest team of all time.
Seems to me an arm bar DPI of Deion on Micheal, not called, prevented a comeback in the NFCCG that derailed a 3rd straight SB appearance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones said:
Nothing to talk about there at all. That’s something that I’ve never really decided upon almost until a week or two before I do it. [It’s] never been something that’s had a long tail to it in thought process. Obviously, the people are qualified, are career-qualified. So that’s a career process. But as far as the timing of any individual that will ultimately be in that Hall of Fame, I don’t have that timeframe on that.
- Jerry Jones: No timeframe on putting Jimmy Johnson in Cowboys Ring of Honor, (link), Todd Brock, Cowboys Wire, USA Today, June 20, 2022

Brock writes an insightful overview of Jones' particular mindset concerning timing, timeframes and Ring of Honor induction--ten months after his now infamous announcement during the 2021 Pro Football Hall of Fame Game broadcast. Despite Jones' public comment, Brock (and others before him) points out Jones inducted:
  • Darren Woodson within three months of his announcement
  • Larry Allen, Charles Haley, and Drew Pearson within two months of his announcement
  • Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin within three months of his announcement
That is an incomplete list of past contradiction. In this particular instance, it took a Netflix crew (self-vanity), his ownership era's most illustrious quarterback and his own daughter to collectively 'push' Jones to finally do, what he said he would do, 26 months prior.

I have thanked Jones. It is the right thing to do after he finally did the right thing to do--something he stated he had privately and continually told Jimmy Johnson, repeatedly, for decades, he would do during their joint November announcement of the December ceremony. However, I thank Troy and Charlotte far more for being the fateful catalyst of a decision, that can be strongly argued WOULD NOT HAVE EVER BEEN MADE before Jones' time on EARTH had ended. Them. And a few nearby folks with cameras, whom they opportunistically took full advantage of. Good chuckle indeed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Seems to me an arm bar DPI of Deion on Micheal, not called, prevented a comeback in the NFCCG that derailed a 3rd straight SB appearance.
I don't think a Jimmy Johnson team goes down 21-0 in a championship game. And wasn't that like the first 5 minutes of the game?

More undeniably directly, Bozo the Coach got a personal foul after the arm bar non-call, making the non-call not just into non-yards, but 15 yards in reverse. Maybe they overcome the noncall, but making up 15 yards is a tough row to hoe.

When I heard the news that Johnson was gone, I predicted that we'd lose in the NFCCG. You don't get rid of a great coach and not lose something. Jerry blew it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think a Jimmy Johnson team goes down 21-0 in a championship game. And wasn't that like the first 5 minutes of the game?

More undeniably directly, Bozo the Coach got a personal foul after the arm bar non-call, making the non-call not just into non-yards, but 15 yards in reverse. Maybe they overcome the noncall, but making up 15 yards is a tough row to hoe.

When I heard the news that Johnson was gone, I predicted that we'd lose in the NFCCG. You don't get rid of a great coach and not lose something. Jerry blew it.
Jimmy wanted out. He even said that.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Please win on this special night, Cowboys.
Tears will be streaming down me chiseled face as Jimmy ascends.

Thanks to all --- the Jones, Jimmy, Aikman --- who make this possible.

Please, someone tell me Jimmy has trademarked "How 'Bout Them Cowboys."
how-bout-them-cowboys-498-x-373-gif-dylz13mk14p78xbq.gif

nobody

Reaction score
- Jerry Jones: No timeframe on putting Jimmy Johnson in Cowboys Ring of Honor, (link), Todd Brock, Cowboys Wire, USA Today, June 20, 2022

Brock writes an insightful overview of Jones' particular mindset concerning timing, timeframes and Ring of Honor induction--ten months after his now infamous announcement during the 2021 Pro Football Hall of Fame Game broadcast. Despite Jones' public comment, Brock (and others before him) points out Jones inducted:
  • Darren Woodson within three months of his announcement
  • Larry Allen, Charles Haley, and Drew Pearson within two months of his announcement
  • Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin within three months of his announcement
That is an incomplete list of past contradiction. In this particular instance, it took a Netflix crew (self-vanity), his ownership era's most illustrious quarterback and his own daughter to collectively 'push' Jones to finally do, what he said he would do, 26 months prior.

I have thanked Jones. It is the right thing to do after he finally did the right thing to do--something he stated he had privately and continually told Jimmy Johnson, repeatedly, for decades, he would do during their joint November announcement of the December ceremony. However, I thank Troy and Charlotte far more for being the fateful catalyst of a decision, that can be strongly argued WOULD NOT HAVE EVER BEEN MADE before Jones' time on EARTH had ended. Them. And a few nearby folks with cameras, whom they opportunistically took full advantage of. Good chuckle indeed.
Makes me wonder if one of them isn't long for this world and the other just found out.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if one of them isn't long for this world and the other just found out.
Maybe not a diagnosis, but Jerry does look like he’s been burning the candle at both ends, especially compared to Jimmy who is about the same age. Work hard, play hard, maybe catching up to Jerry now. Jimmy has been chilling in the Keys with his sweet weekend gig on FOX.

I’m sure both are at the age where they’re preparing for death. Jerry has the Netflix documentary on the greatest moments with a reconciliation with his old partner. After all these years, Jimmy just wrote his autobiography.

That partnership with Jimmy was a blessing for both. Neither one ever achieved the same thing again in the NFL long-term. Jimmy couldn’t get Miami over the hump in the Playoffs, Jerry won his SB with the remainder of Jimmy’s Roster and has been struggling ever since to get past the Divisional Round.