Twitter: Archer's six-years contract proposal for Dak

Flamma

Reaction score
I thought the same.

I'd still do it if I'm the team.

If he doesn't win during those three years, it'll be eight seasons that he has won nothing, and wouldn't it be about time to move on anyway by then, no?

We'd be talking 20%+ cap hits for the quarterback. Dallas struggles with him at 1%. What would be the purpose? Does Dak have pics?

catiii

Reaction score
So basically you couldn't cut him for six years.

Pass.

Hard pass.
We need to just ditch this guy and be done with it. Get Big Ben of PIT releases him or one of the others or draft one - anything - but don't mrtgage the team's future on stats prescott.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We need to just ditch this guy and be done with it. Get Big Ben of PIT releases him or one of the others or draft one - anything - but don't mrtgage the team's future on stats prescott.

Ben, behind this line, would be awesome!

Verdict

Reaction score
Yawn. It's been three years since he should have been signed. Either crap or get off the pot.
How do you force Dak to sign? The Cowboys have put real money in front of Dak and each time he has turned it down.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't see Prescott signing an extension with the Cowboys. He has no reason to give Jerry a "team friendly" deal, and despite what some resident geniuses think he'd get legit offers as a free agent.

Some of the alternatives I see folks thinking are better tells me they don't know much about football or they haven't seen some of these other QBs play for a while. :muttley:

I'd rather take my chances on a rookie if Dak's gone. It's not like the Cowboys are going anywhere, anyway. Their team is deficient. It's not just about the QB.

catiii

Reaction score
How do you force Dak to sign? The Cowboys have put real money in front of Dak and each time he has turned it down.
Stats Prescott is a legend in his own mind. Let him walk!!! Jerry should've done that with Elliott too but his ego sees everything as a personal challenge. He's like the plunger at the craps table who buys in for 10 grand and walks away with nothing after 1 hour.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm not totally against signing Dak, although I think it's unlikely to work out. It's unlikely for most quarterbacks, if working out is winning a Super Bowl.

But committing six years to a player who will either be an elite quarterback or a guy who's had a nice career in two years time?

No thanks.

The decision here is do you want to sign him for one year less. or two years more. (Or let him go.)

Not four years more.
The big contract QBs don’t have the Super Bowl wins to prove that spending so much of the salary cap on the QB position is a successful approach to producing championship teams. Overspending on QB is a sure way to ruin any chance of a team winning a Super Bowl. I had rather have Dalton and a chance at a Super Bowl win than have Dak and the next decade being wasted with .500 seasons. I am sorry, but Dak’s empty stats don’t mean anything to me. They are a poor consolation prize compared to a championship.

jnday

Reaction score
Dak can’t pass a physical and people are throwing 6-year $38M/year contract offers out with $90M guaranteed the first two years.

This Dak worship has gone berserk.

No team is offering Dak jack squat until he can pass a physical. He’s not passing a physical until Maybe August at the earliest assuming the second surgery on his deltoid ligament is a success. Was that surgery a graft? If it was then all bets are off of him playing this year.

Jerry is competing with no one.

Let Dak hit the open market and Jerry can match it if he wants.

Have a backup plan in case Dak can’t play this year. Yeah, yeah Dak is light years ahead in his recovery. He was walking in sand. Saw it with my own eyes.
Dak and his agent would panic if they thought that they would be hitting the free market. They both know that Jerry is their best chance to be overpaid and seeing that other teams would not come close to Jerry’s offer would only serve to wake Jerry up and show him that he doesn’t have the competition for Dak that he thinks he does. What other team would consider $40 million a year for Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm no expert but this seems reasonable for BOTH sides.....

How a six-year deal could be a compromise for Cowboys, Dak Prescott

The proposed compromise would be a six-year deal that voids to four years.

Both sides can then claim a win. The Cowboys can get their salary-cap flexibility in the first two seasons of the deal when teams will be paying somewhat of a price because of the coronavirus pandemic (the NFL's salary cap is projected to be down, at roughly $180 million for the next year), and Prescott can be back on the market in 2025.

A perfect solution? Probably not, but there has to be some compromise in a situation that has played out going on its third offseason.

Here's how it would work:

We know the Cowboys offered Prescott a $50 million signing bonus last year. Let's keep that the same, so that would cost $10 million against the cap from 2021 to 2025 because bonuses can be prorated for only five years.

Now the base salaries:

2021: $20 million (fully guaranteed)

2022: $20 million (fully guaranteed)

2023: $32.5 million ($25 million fully guaranteed)

2024: $32.5 million

2025: $32.5 million

2026: $32.5 million

That's six years, $220 million for an average of $36.7 million a year. In reality, it's a four-year deal worth $155 million for an average of $38.75 million with $115 million fully guaranteed at signing. He would make $90 million over the first two years of the deal.

The cap numbers under this deal would be:

2021: $30 million

2022: $30 million

2023: $42.5 million

2024: $42.5 million

2025: $42.5 million

2026: $32.5 million
How do the Cowboys gain cap flexibility in the second year of the deal? With a tool they have commonly used on all of their major signings. They can turn more than $18 million of Prescott's 2022 base salary into signing bonus for cap purposes and create $14.4 million in room in Year 2 of the deal. Based on a proposed $2 million base salary in 2022, it would add $3.6 million to each of the aforementioned cap numbers from 2023 to 2026.

2022: $15.6 million

2023: $46.1 million

2024: $46.1 million

2025: $46.1 million

2026: $36.1 million

Sounds like a great compromise for both sides.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amazing we still have fans who believe winning a championship is good possibility with this dysfunctional organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are the best example of how this league and professional sports has become a sports entertainment entity.

These are athletic entertainers who play football.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Dak and his agent would panic if they thought that they would be hitting the free market. They both know that Jerry is their best chance to be overpaid and seeing that other teams would not come close to Jerry’s offer would only serve to wake Jerry up and show him that he doesn’t have the competition for Dak that he thinks he does. What other team would consider $40 million a year for Dak?

Yeah, exactly. No team is offering Dak $40M even if healthy in a decreased cap. Jerry only has competition if Dak is both healthy and his price comes way down. And I mean way, way down. Dak and his agent are preying on Jerry’s obscene wealth and loyalty to a fault.

We will soon find out whether Jerry puts team first or panders to individual players and fan loyalty. Sign Dak to a huge contract and the team will not be SB competitive for years.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm arriving at a point where I couldn't care less about whether Dak gets what he wants or not. If he gets it, the Cowboys will be screwed. If he doesn't, he'll most likely go elsewhere. Either way, the fans will end up losing, regardless of what ends up happening w/Dak. This team and its management is, evidently, heading for another mediocre year for its fans to withstand.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. No team is offering Dak $40M even if healthy in a decreased cap. Jerry only has competition if Dak is both healthy and his price comes way down. And I mean way, way down. Dak and his agent are preying on Jerry’s obscene wealth and loyalty to a fault.

We will soon find out whether Jerry puts team first or panders to individual players and fan loyalty. Sign Dak to a huge contract and the team will not be SB competitive for years.
I agree on some fronts but we’re assuming we’d be more competitive without Dak. I’m just not sure what basis we have to arrive at that conclusion with this dysfunctional organization this era?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm arriving at a point where I couldn't care less about whether Dak gets what he wants or not. If he gets it, the C'boys will be screwed. If he doesn't, he'll very likely go somewhere else. Either way, the fans will end up losing, regardless of what ends up happening for Dak. This team and its management is, evidently, heading for another mediocre year for its fans to digest.
But who’s to say we wouldn’t be headed to worse than mediocrity without Dak.

Im not sure where fans arrive at feeling this dysfunctional organization will be more competitive or have more success without Dak?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
But who’s to say we wouldn’t be headed to worse than mediocrity without Dak.

Im not sure where fans arrive at feeling this dysfunctional organization will be more competitive or have more success without Dak?

With or without Dak, the ongoing results that we'll derive from the leadership that this FO offers won't be anything to get excited about. If Dak gets what he wants, the defense will suffer. If he doesn't, he'll end up elsewhere. Either way, the team is headed for trouble.