Archive this Name

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
NO. 1 UNH'S RICKY SANTOS AND BARON FLENORY EARN ATLANTIC 10 HONORS
PHILADELPHIA--University of New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos (Bellingham, Mass.) and senior teammate and strong safety Baron Flenory (Pittsburgh, Pa.) were both honored by the Atlantic 10 Football Conference for their outstanding efforts in UNH's 45-17 victory over No. 38 ranked Villanova on Oct. 1. Santos was named the Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Week and Flenory earned Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Santos, who is listed as one of the 16 top candidates to win the Walter Payton Award, completed 28 of 33 pass attempts for 371 yards and five touchdowns in the victory. He was very effective early in the contest as he completed his first 10 passes for 142 yards and a pair of TDs. During that stretch he connected with five different receivers. Santos helped UNH to score touchdowns on five of its first eight possessions and the offense racked up a grand total of 572 yards in the game, with 201 rushing yards and 371 through the air. Santos completed three of his touchdown passes to junior wide receiver David Ball (Orange, Vt.). The first was a 66-yard version of the "Flea-Flicker" where, on UNH's first play from scrimmage, Santos threw a backwards pass to redshirt freshman receiver Mike Boyle (Plymouth, N.H.), who then flipped the football back to Santos, who found Ball wide open down the center of the football field.

Looking at the season numbers for Santos, he has completed 107 of 145 passes for an eye-popping completion percentage of 73.8. He also checks in with 1,396 passing yards in just four games played for an average of 349 yards per contest, and he has passed for 12 TDs, while running for three more.

In the post-game press conference Flenory said that he and the rest of the defense have a goal ,and that is to get the football back in Santos's hands as quickly as possible. Flenory got the job done as he single-handedly grabbed an interception and returned it 11 yards, forced a fumble, came up with a sack for a loss of six yards, recorded two tackles for a loss of seven yards and he was second on the team in overall tackles with 12 on the afternoon (9 solo).

Flenory is now leading UNH with three interceptions and is fourth on the squad in tackles with 29.

Thanks in part to the hard-hitting Flenory, the UNH defense has not given up more than 21 points so far this season and has only allowed an average of 17.8 ppg. after four games played. UNH held UC Davis to a season-low 13 points.

Santos and the UNH offense are averaging well above 17.8 ppg. with a mark of 173 total points, good for an average of 43.25 ppg. Over the last three games played, UNH has scored 156 points for an average of 52.0 ppg.

UNH is not off to its best start since the 2000 campaign when the team opened with a 4-0 record. The last time the Wildcats opened 5-0 or better was back in 1977 when UNH opened with seven consecutive victories.

The No. 1 ranked Wildcats will return to action on Sat., Oct. 8, when the squad travels to play at No. 16 William & Mary. Game time is 1 p.m.

Santos back at it again!

jay cee

Reaction score
That kind of reminds me of the pub Steve McNair was getting his junior and senior seasons.

That this guy is creating this much buzz as a redshirt Freshman is quite impressive.

Thanks for the posts. I would love to see him play a game.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I watched Santos on TV against Montana in the 2004 I-AA playoffs. I think it was on ESPN2.

NH pretty much got trounced by a pretty good Montana team, but Santos had a decent game. I didn't realize he was only a freshman last year.

I think he is plenty big enough, but even if you put up huge numbers in I-AA, its pretty tough to get much recognition.

Romo was prolific and was undrafted. Craig Ochs and Dustin Long were top notch I-AA QBs last year that went undrafted. Dave Dickenson a few years back put up sick numbers and went undrafted (although he fared alright in the CFL).

It'll be interesting to see if he gets any interest in a couple of years when he comes out.

joseephuss

Reaction score
junk said:
I watched Santos on TV against Montana in the 2004 I-AA playoffs. I think it was on ESPN2.

NH pretty much got trounced by a pretty good Montana team, but Santos had a decent game. I didn't realize he was only a freshman last year.

I think he is plenty big enough, but even if you put up huge numbers in I-AA, its pretty tough to get much recognition.

Romo was prolific and was undrafted. Craig Ochs and Dustin Long were top notch I-AA QBs last year that went undrafted. Dave Dickenson a few years back put up sick numbers and went undrafted (although he fared alright in the CFL).

It'll be interesting to see if he gets any interest in a couple of years when he comes out.

Yep, 1-AA just isn't highly regarded or at least highly scouted. Ochs and Long both had some good moments in the Big 12 before transferring to smaller schools and still could not get drafted.

jay cee

Reaction score
junk said:

if he keeps playing this well for a couple of more seasons, he will probably get an invite to the combine.

Then it will be a matter of can he pass the muster in the underwear olympics, or whatever the call it.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
jay cee said:
if he keeps playing this well for a couple of more seasons, he will probably get an invite to the combine.

Then it will be a matter of can he pass the muster in the underwear olympics, or whatever the call it.

I'd imagine he will get an invite. I am pretty sure all the guys I listed above were at the combine.

Interesting player to watch.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Walter Payton Award Winners
From James Alder,
Your Guide to Football.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
The Walter Payton Award is given annually to the I-AA Offensive Player of the Year.
2004 - Lang Campbell, QB William & Mary
2003 - Jamaal Branch, RB Colgate
2002 - Tony Romo, QB Eastern Illinois
2001 - Brian Westbrook, RB Villanova
2000 - Louis Ivory, RB Furman
1999 - Adrian Peterson, RB Georgia Southern
1998 - Jerry Azumah, RB New Hampshire
1997 - Brian Finneran, WR Villanova 1996 - Archie Amerson, RB Northern Arizona
1995 - Dave Dickenson, QB Montana
1994 - Steve McNair, QB Alcorn State 1993 - Doug Nussmeier, QB Idaho
1992 - Michael Payton, QB Marshall
1991 - Jamie Martin, QB Weber State
1990 - Walter Dean, RB Grambling State
1989 - John Friesz, QB Idaho
1988 - Dave Meggett, RB Towson 1987 - Kenny Gamble, RB Colgate

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
No. 4 Wildcat football takes out No. 7 Massachusetts, 34-28
~Ball named 19th Bill Knight Award Winner, Santos becomes all-time school passing touchdown leader~
Box Score

AMHERST, Mass. – Junior wide receiver David Ball (Orange, Vt.) caught four touchdown passes and posted 199 yards on nine catches to lead the fourth ranked University of New Hampshire football team to a 34-28 Atlantic 10 victory against the University of Massachusetts on Saturday afternoon in front of 12,539 fans at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.

Ball was named the 19th recipient of the Bill Knight Award, which is given annually to the Most Valuable Player of the UMass/UNH football game. He is the 12th UNH player to earn the award in its 19-year history.

Sophomore quarterback Ricky Santos (Bellingham, Mass.) became UNH’s all-time school passing touchdown leader with four touchdowns and 248 yards passing. Santos finished the day with 18 completions on 28 attempts, he now has 56 career passing touchdowns, which broke former Wildcat Ryan Day’s record of 52.

“I thought the game set itself up to be a huge game, with their defense and our offense, I thought we came out an executed just better than they did and I thought our defense played a lot better than I think people thought they would. They have been doing it all year for us,” said Ball.

With the victory the ‘Cats improve to 7-1 overall, while Massachusetts drops to 6-2 overall. The teams are currently tied atop the Atlantic 10 North Division standings with 5-1 records in league play.

4 More TD passes -

Naruto

Reaction score
Looking forward to a possible Texas State/NH showdown for the championship.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Texas State? Not familiar with them. Some good football played here. Usually guys academically short or don't fit the big programs size needs....

Santo's - a tad short but to put up 56 Td's mid 2nd season is impressive. He's such an athlete he may have a NFL future at WR/RB...if not QB.

Naruto

Reaction score
Nevermind we just lost to Nicholls State. We were 5th in the polls. Don't know where we'll go after that.

jay cee

Reaction score
Naruto said:
Nevermind we just lost to Nicholls State. We were 5th in the polls. Don't know where we'll go after that.
Isn't that where Barrick Nealy is playing qb?

Naruto

Reaction score
jay cee said:
Isn't that where Barrick Nealy is playing qb?

Yes he's doing great too. He had a monster game against A&M and almost beat them. 1st and goal at the 8 with a minute left to take the lead but couldn't get the ball in the End Zone(sounds familiar). He'll be at the Hula Bowl to show off his stuff for the scouts.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
SECOND-RANKED WILDCATS ESCAPE WITH WIN OVER HOFSTRA
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - University of New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos (Bellingham, Mass.) threw four touchdown passes, including the decisive score to Aaron Brown (Central Square, N.Y.) with 6:40 left in regulation, as the second-ranked Wildcats escaped with a 29-26 win over the Hofstra Pride in Atlantic 10 action Saturday afternoon at Shuart Stadium.

Hofstra (5-4, 3-3 Atlantic 10) had a golden opportunity to retake the lead with two minutes left in regulation, but on a first-and-goal play from the UNH two-yard line, Pride running back Kareem Huggins fumbled the ball before reaching the end zone, and the Wildcats recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchback. UNH proceeded to spend all but one second of the remaining time, and a hail mary pass by Hofstra quarterback Anton Clarkson was intercepted as time expired.

Santos finished the game 23-of-35 for 285 yards and the four touchdowns, two of them to junior David Ball (Orange, Vt.), who caught eight passes for 123 yards. Senior running back John McCoy (Groton, Conn.) had a solid all-around game, carrying the ball 21 times for 91 yards and adding six catches for 70 yards.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
4 more TD passes and made cut to Final 32 for Payton award!

Sontos!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=253300160&confId=null

First round playoff rout - missed it - was on ESPN 2. Looking for feedback on anyone that caught it.

55 points
250 yards - 3 TD's
14 carries 162 yards and another TD

Kid could be next Westbrook/Crayton type kid. Appears he has talent to play RB/QB/WR on Sundays....

He's a RB jmo in the NFL. Redshirt Sophomore to watch. If he keeps playing like this he gets into an NFL camp.

jay cee

Reaction score
Nors said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=253300160&confId=null

First round playoff rout - missed it - was on ESPN 2. Looking for feedback on anyone that caught it.

55 points
250 yards - 3 TD's
14 carries 162 yards and another TD

Kid could be next Westbrook/Crayton type kid. Appears he has talent to play RB/QB/WR on Sundays....

He's a RB jmo in the NFL. Redshirt Sophomore to watch. If he keeps playing like this he gets into an NFL camp.
Why don't you think he can play QB? He seems to have adequate size.