Are Cowboys over invested at receiver?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think I remember the guys saying that we had a pretty cheap out after next season on Cooper. Appears to me that Coop will be let walk and it'll be Lamb and Gallup going forward.
Yea, after 2021 we can let Coop walk is what I’ve heard. But there’s some concerns Gallup could be fetching high contract by then.

I agree I’d go with Gallup and Lamb. But then I wouldn’t have resigned Cooper this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Which brings into question why resign Cooper.

Drafting Lamb is a great pick if we hadn’t signed Cooper . Then it would have been a major position of need .

I think drafting Lamb was a great pick, even if Amari had been free of his injury woes. Little did we realize that Cooper would be an ongoing question mark to be available when he was acquired. The fact that we learned about it once he was already here damaged our ability to rely upon him. CeeDee alleviated that problem. Let's see what we'll have for the rest of 2020.

Cooper is here, at least, for the time being. Whether he stays or goes will be something for the FO to determine. As it now stands, we have a receiving corps that is perhaps second to none. If we were to trade Amari for a defensive stalwart, it might be justified. Is this FO a sure thing to be successful in serving that cause? Now, there's a pregnant question to be considered. ;)

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Q
I think drafting Lamb was a great pick, if he'd been free of his injury woes. Little did we realize that Cooper would be an ongoing question mark to be available when he was acquired. The fact that we learned about it once he was already here damaged our ability to rely upon him. CeeDee alleviated that problem. Let's see what we'll have for the rest of 2020.

Cooper is here, at least, for the time being. Whether he stays or goes will be something for the FO to determine. As it now stands, we have a receiving corps that is perhaps second to none. If we were to trade Amari for a defensive stalwart, it might be justified. Is this FO a sure thing to be successful in serving that cause? Now, there's a pregnant question. ;)
Having a receiving corp second to none when we have a horrid defense which will ultimately prevent this team from reaching its goals.

Lamb was a fun luxury pick which didn’t address any key weaknesses on our team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Q

Having a receiving corp second to none when we have a horrid defense which will ultimately prevent this team from reaching its goals.

Lamb was a fun luxury pick which didn’t address any key weaknesses on our team.

If Lamb hadn't become available at #17, we would have drafted Trevon Diggs instead. There's your defensive weakness that was addressed. As it turned out, there was a key weakness in the fact that Amari was unavailable in far too many occasions when he was needed. Let's not be so devastated in the fact that our FO isn't more capable than they are. It isn't anything new -- you'd best get used to it if you're not as yet. You'll only continue to be unhappily wishing for something that won't change anytime soon, if ever.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I really believe that they did the right thing by drafting CeeDee Lamb #1.

Even if they hadn't, they still would've drafted Trevon Diggs #1, anyhow.

I'd say the Cowboys had to draft CeeDee with Amari being injury prone.
And no doubt with the Iggles drafting right behind them..

no way do they let Lamb fall to them.

We would never hear the end of that like when we passed on Moss back in the day.

So we profited but decisions must be made DTR.

Receiver is now our strongest part of the team.

It is how we win now. Dak has to like the opportunity for his contract discussions after this year.

This guy always has the moon and stars pulling for him.

Guess his mom and brother have formed a Dak cheerleading section in the great beyond.

It's almost spooky.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Lamb hadn't become available at #17, we would have drafted Trevon Diggs instead. There's your defensive weakness that was addressed. As it turned out, there was a key weakness in the fact that Amari was unavailable in far too many occasions when he was needed. Let's not be so devastated in the fact that our FO isn't more capable than they are. It isn't anything new -- you'd best get used to it if you're not as yet. You'll only continue to be unhappily wishing for something that won't change anytime soon, if ever.
You can only be OK w/ the Lamb pick if you realize we're 3 years away from contention. Lamb as a pick for the future is fine. However, he doesn't fix what ails us. If McC made this pick and then took the season to assess the problems and then addresses them next offseason, that's fine.

kskboys

Reaction score
And no doubt with the Iggles drafting right behind them..

no way do they let Lamb fall to them.

We would never hear the end of that like when we passed on Moss back in the day.

So we profited but decisions must be made DTR.

Receiver is now our strongest part of the team.

It is how we win now. Dak has to like the opportunity for his contract discussions after this year.

This guy always has the moon and stars pulling for him.

Guess his mom and brother have formed a Dak cheerleading section in the great beyond.

It's almost spooky.
We're not winning now. And won't until the D is fixed.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Our secondary is a mess. We can’t allow opposing teams to run free . It’s not a winning formula . The Cowboys have given up 38 points in consecutive games for the first time since 1988 which was Landry’s last season when we finished 3-13.

Lamb is an awesome talent but with receivers our position of strength are we over invested while leaving other positions of weakness more vulnerable.

Who pays top 5 money to a WR1 while using their 1st pick at WR when you already have 2 starting receivers with so many weaknesses in other areas? That’s a luxury we couldn’t really afford.

Cedric Wilson’s return this season with his breakout performance Sunday scoring his first 2 TD’s of his career with 5 catches over a 100 yards is a perfect example of how you develop instead of continuing to use our highest picks in draft on key positions.

Unless we can convert one of them to our secondary we appear to have over invested in one position while leaving other critical positions of weakness vulnerable which could ultimately cost the season.

It never fails. The Cowboys get some really good depth at a position and then comes along a fan that wants to use some of that depth for some other position.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our secondary is a mess. We can’t allow opposing teams to run free . It’s not a winning formula . The Cowboys have given up 38 points in consecutive games for the first time since 1988 which was Landry’s last season when we finished 3-13.

Lamb is an awesome talent but with receivers our position of strength are we over invested while leaving other positions of weakness more vulnerable.

Who pays top 5 money to a WR1 while using their 1st pick at WR when you already have 2 starting receivers with so many weaknesses in other areas? That’s a luxury we couldn’t really afford.

Cedric Wilson’s return this season with his breakout performance Sunday scoring his first 2 TD’s of his career with 5 catches over a 100 yards is a perfect example of how you develop instead of continuing to use our highest picks in draft on key positions.

Unless we can convert one of them to our secondary we appear to have over invested in one position while leaving other critical positions of weakness vulnerable which could ultimately cost the season.
I think you are over reacting a bit.

prior to draft, our choice was to sign cooper. in essence its a 2 year contract. no one had a crystal ball. remember, gallup is in his last year as well.

and the draft we had NO IDEA how it was going to playout, in fact our eyes were on the LSU defensive end. given we didn't have Grifin at the time and Aldon Smith was an unknown quantity. again, no crystal ball.

and when arguably a top 5 talent falls to you at 17. its a tough decision. I think it was the right call. its looking ahead and if it works out we won't need to resign Gallup......

and regarding your comments on Wilson, again. crystal ball. its easy to sit and look back and say right/wrong decisions were made. but you have to look at those decisions with information at hand at the time the decision was made.

Plus, we have injuries on the defensive side. LVE is out. Brown is Out, Chidobe is out. right now we have 5th stringers playing starters and a rookie CB starting. while all learning a new scheme. its painfully obvious they are not on the same page. Mike NOlan needs to simplify the defense. IMHO, we should change to play bend but don't break. so as not to give up all those big plays. keep things in front and force teams to take a lot of plays and long drive to get points and then capitalize when we can...yes, it sounds a little like the Marinelli defense, but right now it maybe the right defense

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You can only be OK w/ the Lamb pick if you realize we're 3 years away from contention. Lamb as a pick for the future is fine. However, he doesn't fix what ails us. If McC made this pick and then took the season to assess the problems and then addresses them next offseason, that's fine.

For all I'm seeing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it took 3 years but I'm certainly hoping we contend sooner than that. We wouldn't be as capable in terms of our WR strength, especially with Amari being so injury prone each year thus far. I think it's difficult right now to get a sure-fired idea how far away from contending we might be if we manage to get out of our defensive funk at some point this year or next. Hopefully, our next offseason will see us making some good strides in bolstering our defense. By midseason, let's hope our prospects will look somewhat better.

kskboys

Reaction score
It never fails. The Cowboys get some really good depth at a position and then comes along a fan that wants to use some of that depth for some other position.
Of course. And sometimes, that might be the smart thing to do. It's a lot tougher proposition than most realize, though.

kskboys

Reaction score
For all I'm seeing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it took 3 years but I'm certainly hoping we contend sooner than that. We wouldn't be as capable in terms of our WR strength, especially with Amari being so injury prone each year thus far. I think it's difficult right now to get a sure-fired idea how far away from contending we might be if we manage to get out of our defensive funk at some point this year or next. Hopefully, our next offseason will see us making some good strides in bolstering our defense. By midseason, let's hope our prospects will look somewhat better.
They won't. We simply lack talent on D. That's why while I'm OK w/ the Lamb pick, it does push the needed improvements down the road a bit. Good thing is, Galley appears to be a fine building block, and even Trystan is showing signs. And even though they didn't work out, the Poe/McCoy/Haha signings show this new staff at least understands what's needed.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you are over reacting a bit.

prior to draft, our choice was to sign cooper. in essence its a 2 year contract. no one had a crystal ball. remember, gallup is in his last year as well.

and the draft we had NO IDEA how it was going to playout, in fact our eyes were on the LSU defensive end. given we didn't have Grifin at the time and Aldon Smith was an unknown quantity. again, no crystal ball.

and when arguably a top 5 talent falls to you at 17. its a tough decision. I think it was the right call. its looking ahead and if it works out we won't need to resign Gallup......

and regarding your comments on Wilson, again. crystal ball. its easy to sit and look back and say right/wrong decisions were made. but you have to look at those decisions with information at hand at the time the decision was made.

Plus, we have injuries on the defensive side. LVE is out. Brown is Out, Chidobe is out. right now we have 5th stringers playing starters and a rookie CB starting. while all learning a new scheme. its painfully obvious they are not on the same page. Mike NOlan needs to simplify the defense. IMHO, we should change to play bend but don't break. so as not to give up all those big plays. keep things in front and force teams to take a lot of plays and long drive to get points and then capitalize when we can...yes, it sounds a little like the Marinelli defense, but right now it maybe the right defense
Yeah, me to. Even though the Lamb signing pushes the needed improvements down the road a bit, I can't really argue too much w/ that kind of talent.

Proof

Reaction score
Perhaps this year, but taking ceedee was truly a no brainer. Especially with all of the blue chip defensive prospects we were looking at being gone already. Being able to evaluate Cooper and Gallup this season and next is a huge benefit to the team before deciding what to do moving forward.

kskboys

Reaction score
Perhaps this year, but taking ceedee was truly a no brainer. Especially with all of the blue chip defensive prospects we were looking at being gone already. Being able to evaluate Cooper and Gallup this season and next is a huge benefit to the team before deciding what to do moving forward.
I wouldn't call it a no brainer, but it was definitely hard to pass on.