Are some of you mad at how we are building the team through the draft?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm hoping you're kidding.
I am not. The best standalone stat to judge a D by is yards allowed. Every one of those yards was given up by the D. However, there are way too many factors involved in pts allowed to use that standard to judge a D. I hope you're kidding in saying you don't know this.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm hoping you're kidding.

He's probably not kidding. And I've heard others of the same opinion. Primarily because points allowed encompasses everything. The offense gives up points. The offense turns the ball over. Yards allowed isn't perfect either. But at least that's all on the defense.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I've said this in other threads. but I think Bobby Wagner could have been that guy for the defense. He may not be as young as he used to be, but he is still very much playing at an elite level (170 tackles last year), and his leadership, instincts and knowledge would be invaluable. And the thing is, the contract he signed with the Rams was not that big. It still may have been tough to sign him since he is from California and has family out there, but he did say the Cowboys would have been a serious consideration if they had chosen to pursue him.
Should have signed Akiem Hicks. Although he may have taken a discount for a chance at a ring in TB. Something he won't get in DAL

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Thought you said you where done after the 49er debacle. Are you trolling, answer the question since you are back.
What??? Clearly, you are talking about someone else. Too bad. I'm not going anywhere. I support this team 100% through thick and thin, unlike you Benedict Arnolds.

Brax

Reaction score
What??? Clearly, you are talking about someone else. Too bad. I'm not going anywhere. I support this team 100% through thick and thin, unlike you Benedict Arnolds.
I support this team and have longer than you I would bet, I just do it with a objective view unlike you. It was so nice when you disappeared.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I am not. The best standalone stat to judge a D by is yards allowed. Every one of those yards was given up by the D. However, there are way too many factors involved in pts allowed to use that standard to judge a D. I hope you're kidding in saying you don't know this.

Yards allowed is not nearly as important as points allowed. Some teams are focused more on causing turnovers, which can result in big chunks of yardage being given up. I agree that there are a lot of factors in points allowed, but there are also multiple factors in yards allowed. Total yards has always been a poor way to judge defenses. Neither measure is definitive by itself, but I'd go with points allowed over yards allowed every time.

Let's take Trevon Diggs as an example. He gets dinged heavily for the amount of yards he's credited with giving up. But that doesn't take into account either the turnovers he created or the points that he scored by playing aggressively in coverage.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...-to-showcase-how-good-a-team-is-michael-nania

gimmesix

Reaction score

For what it's worth, Detroit was second in yards allowed. The Lions had a very good defense that year. We were 15th in points allowed and 19th in yards allowed. For those wanting to say Stafford never had as good of a team around him in Detroit as Dak has had in Dallas, neither Dak nor Romo ever had a defense as good as the Lions did that year. For example, our defense last year (which was one of the better ones we've had) was seventh in points allowed and 19th in yards allowed.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yards allowed is not nearly as important as points allowed. Some teams are focused more on causing turnovers, which can result in big chunks of yardage being given up. I agree that there are a lot of factors in points allowed, but there are also multiple factors in yards allowed. Total yards has always been a poor way to judge defenses. Neither measure is definitive by itself, but I'd go with points allowed over yards allowed every time.

Let's take Trevon Diggs as an example. He gets dinged heavily for the amount of yards he's credited with giving up. But that doesn't take into account either the turnovers he created or the points that he scored by playing aggressively in coverage.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...-to-showcase-how-good-a-team-is-michael-nania
Different theme. That's where you're off. We were discussing judging a D. Using points is not accurate to judge a D.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Different theme. That's where you're off. We were discussing judging a D. Using points is not accurate to judge a D.

None is a perfect measure. I'd still rather have the defense that gives up the fewest points than the one that gives up the fewest yards. So yes, I'd judge a defense based on points before I'd judge it based on yards. I understand your point that points scored in other ways can affect a team's numbers, but still the top teams in points overcome those things.