Are some of you mad at how we are building the team through the draft?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
OK, I do see that.

However, ask yourself, exactly what are we creating salary cap room for? Next year?

I have no idea, and I'm not sure the Joneses really do, either. I presume that it will be used to extend some players at some point. I really think the only part of the strategy that they are focused on is not overpaying for outside free agents. And by not overpaying, they mean not paying much at all.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'd argue that when we played them in the 2014 playoffs, they had a much better defense than we did. They were third in points against that year. We were 15th. On offense, they had Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Brandon Pettigrew, Reggie Bush. Their offensive line was a little weaker than ours.

So if you are going to blame Dak for not being good enough to take advantage of any of the teams he has had. Then, you have to blame Stafford for not doing more with that team. Neither Romo nor Dak has had a defense quite that good. Hopefully, we'll get there under Quinn, though.
the thing fans forget or dont think about is the coaching.
They both might have had decent teams, but low quality coaches, HC, so they dont get the results, especially in playoffs.

Stafford wound up on a good team with good defense, and kooper kupp, and he had McVea and his staff, which makes a big difference.

The SB was a close game and rams could have lost that with a few coaching mistakes, or a not so good game plan.
Coaches make a difference, especially in close games and playoffs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I truly think Jerry would be depressed if Dallas won a Super Bowl without him as GM. So he convinces himself that not only can they win with him as GM, but he's their best shot at winning. Deep down I believe he knows better, but delusion is a powerful thing.

I can't say that I enjoy them losing, because while the Joneses may not deserve to win another Super Bowl, many players we've seen come and go over the years did deserve it. And as loyal fans, I think we deserve it as well. I don't care how much it would go to Jerry and Stephen's heads.
yeah the garrett years wore me out as a diehard fan, by the time he was let go I didnt care if they won or lost.
Then they got mike, I got a little pumped up drank a little of the coolaid, but after the first 3 games I was :huh::facepalm::angry::thumbdown:
And I just dont like the idea of jerry holding up another SB trophy.
So I root for them to make playoffs, but just not get to SB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
the thing fans forget or dont think about is the coaching.
They both might have had decent teams, but low quality coaches, HC, so they dont get the results, especially in playoffs.

Stafford wound up on a good team with good defense, and kooper kupp, and he had McVea and his staff, which makes a big difference.

The SB was a close game and rams could have lost that with a few coaching mistakes, or a not so good game plan.
Coaches make a difference, especially in close games and playoffs.

Agreed. We won Super Bowls because we had Landry and Jimmy Johnson. Sure, we had the talent, too, but the coaching was an important part of it.

I'm hopeful that McCarthy, having won a Super Bowl, knows what it takes to get back. But I don't know that he does, and even if he does, I don't know that he can overcome the other challenges with this team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think it is feasible to build just thru the draft.
You would have to hit on a large # of your picks, and it takes years to do that even if you hit on many of your picks.
you have to add good fa in areas your weak, or you will never have a good enough team.
Finding elite free agents that are not past their prime is difficult. Teams tend to keep the Aaron Donald type players in their prime years.

If the Rams and Denver didn't want to retain Von Miller...

Bobby Wagner...he'll be 32 before the season starts and got 5 years, 50M. Off-ball LBs on average don't age well...only RBs have shorter average number of quality years.

What position in 2022 should they have added an expensive free agent?

It has not made sense in the past few years due to coaching instability.

2019: Stephen Jones knew that he was going to push Garrett out the door after the season.

2020: 1st year of new staff. New coaches don't know what they have in regards to roster fits.

2021: Coming off a disaster on defense. Committed to a defensive draft.

Offense was already heavily compensated relative to defense.

2022: i get the feeling that Quinn is happier with Sam Williams than with a big free agent.

Retaining DLaw on a reduced contract was a good move.

I think they contemplated a free agent OL but knew they would draft one early.

In retrospect, if they had signed a high quality OG then Tyler Smith wouldn't start until Tyron gets injured. In March it appeared much more likely that the best available OL in the 1st or 2nd would be an OG, not LT.

It would have fun to sign OC Ryan Jensen, but they would have to out bid his own team . He is 31 and got a 3 year, 40M contract.

If one position turns out to be a problem coming out of camp or early in the season, I expect them to consider a trade.

The issue now is that nobody knows what position will be a problem. It almost always turns out to be different than what most people expected prior to camp.

terra

Reaction score
For those claiming its all about the draft there are lots of examples of that being false. I would say your starters should be 2/3 drafted and 1/3 FA or Trade.
If you look at the SB winners over the last 10 years that is about the usual mix.

So boasting about keeping 'our guys' and that the draft is all that matters DOES NOT WORK if you are SERIOUS about winning a SB.

I don't think the Jones boys are dedicated to winning a SB. I think that money and image is more important to them then that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
For those claiming its all about the draft there are lots of examples of that being false. I would say your starters should be 2/3 drafted and 1/3 FA or Trade.
If you look at the SB winners over the last 10 years that is about the usual mix.

So boasting about keeping 'our guys' and that the draft is all that matters DOES NOT WORK if you are SERIOUS about winning a SB.

I don't think the Jones boys are dedicated to winning a SB. I think that money and image is more important to them then that.

I'd say 4/5ths draft, 1/5th trade/FAs..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well that is the problem and has been the problem for a very long time, but the talent is there to step up, and Id be willing to bet that Ridgway quiets down a bit, once he settles in with some young DL that are learning this system that Quinn wants to run.
Marineli was chasing Warren Sapps ghost.

He was so bad at picking defense for us. One could argue that he was the bigger problem. Between him running the defense and Garrett running the offense and overall team there was absolutely NO WAY this team was going to be successful.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He was so bad at picking defense for us. One could argue that he was the bigger problem. Between him running the defense and Garrett running the offense and overall team there was absolutely NO WAY this team was going to be successful.
Each of their schemes weren't much more than...'go out and play, beat your man.'

Meanwhile guys like McVay and Shanahan are finding the opponents weakness and attacking it.

No we had no shot. But are we past that now? Different debate.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is exactly right. We dont want the team to sign eveyone but if you are deficient at a certain spot on the team. Invest insome actual talent. Our d line right now is trash. There is 1 guy maybe 2 guys that are legit nfl caliber starters. Everyone else is a rotational guy at best. The 2 guys are Osa and D law
I'm hoping Galley turns out to be much better, but at this point I have to agree w/ your 2.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd argue that when we played them in the 2014 playoffs, they had a much better defense than we did. They were third in points against that year. We were 15th. On offense, they had Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Brandon Pettigrew, Reggie Bush. Their offensive line was a little weaker than ours.

So if you are going to blame Dak for not being good enough to take advantage of any of the teams he has had. Then, you have to blame Stafford for not doing more with that team. Neither Romo nor Dak has had a defense quite that good. Hopefully, we'll get there under Quinn, though.
3rd in points? That is irrelevant, how were they in yds allowed?

kskboys

Reaction score

I do agree, however if you don't draft the right players, FA acquisitions make no difference. It all starts w/ drafting the right players. And not necessarily pro bowlers, which is how some mistakenly judge our drafting. You must draft to form a team. And you must be stout up front. Because sooner or later, those lanky DT's will get pushed around in the playoffs, which is why we can't win in the playoffs. Jay Ratliff is the prime example. Jerry was so overzealous about the 5 or 6 sacks Ratliff might get from the NT position, he was too dumb to notice how all too often Jay was simply pushed out of the way due to lack of bulk. Not Jay's fault, he should never have been left there. What we did to Rats would've been the equivalent of the Lakers leaving Magic at Center just because he played well there in the playoffs when Kareem went down w/ injury.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Finding elite free agents that are not past their prime is difficult. Teams tend to keep the Aaron Donald type players in their prime years.

If the Rams and Denver didn't want to retain Von Miller...

Bobby Wagner...he'll be 32 before the season starts and got 5 years, 50M. Off-ball LBs on average don't age well...only RBs have shorter average number of quality years.

What position in 2022 should they have added an expensive free agent?

It has not made sense in the past few years due to coaching instability.

2019: Stephen Jones knew that he was going to push Garrett out the door after the season.

2020: 1st year of new staff. New coaches don't know what they have in regards to roster fits.

2021: Coming off a disaster on defense. Committed to a defensive draft.

Offense was already heavily compensated relative to defense.

2022: i get the feeling that Quinn is happier with Sam Williams than with a big free agent.

Retaining DLaw on a reduced contract was a good move.

I think they contemplated a free agent OL but knew they would draft one early.

In retrospect, if they had signed a high quality OG then Tyler Smith wouldn't start until Tyron gets injured. In March it appeared much more likely that the best available OL in the 1st or 2nd would be an OG, not LT.

It would have fun to sign OC Ryan Jensen, but they would have to out bid his own team . He is 31 and got a 3 year, 40M contract.

If one position turns out to be a problem coming out of camp or early in the season, I expect them to consider a trade.

The issue now is that nobody knows what position will be a problem. It almost always turns out to be different than what most people expected prior to camp.
good points.
no way the jones boys could navigate all that correctly. lol
and I agree most FA are the type that may not help your team, and they all want too much.

Flamma

Reaction score
3rd in points? That is irrelevant, how were they in yds allowed?

Detroit was 2nd, Dallas 19th. 90% of that is run defense. Pass allowed was roughly the same. Dallas gave up a lot more on the ground. That's what made that playoff game close. They didn't have much of a ground attack. And they absolutely had to stop our run game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Stafford didn’t have teams as good as Dak.

I said Stafford was better than Dak while he was in Detroit and said I’d rather have him than Dak.

I thought the Rams gave up too much but looks like whatever they gave up was more than worth it in the end.

The Rams didn't give up too much. They basically paid Detroit to take on Goff's contract with an extra first round pick.

Think of it like if the Cowboys traded for DK Metcalf. Two first round picks and a 3rd round pick and Zeke. We're paying them to take Zeke's contract.