Are the Lions Geniuses or Morons?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Brown and Sewell were Pro-Bowlers last year and were drafted by Holmes in 2021.
Brown was picked in the 4th round.

Hutchinson was drafted in 2022 and named NFL Rookie of the Year.
3rd round pick Kerby Joseph led the team with 4 interceptions.
6th round pick James Houston had 8 sacks.
6th round pick Malcom Rodriguez started at middle linebacker.
I wanted James Houston last year...you're telling me he had 8 sacks as a rookie?

Deion's LB/DE?
I thought I read.he was waived or something.

Either way, in my opinion, Jack Campbell will likely be a great player there..

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Detroit is a team on the rise. I can’t tell you how these players will develop or play, but I think you will see them become a very relevant team if they can maintain reasonably competent QB play.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Hated their draft....Could have been so much better.....If the plan was running back in the 1st....why not take the best one in Robinson?

Thought they would go CB....Gonzales.....nope. Traded away Okudah. Then ended up reaching for Branch to play CB???? God who knows...then gave up on Swift....lol.

Needed help @ DT....nope.
They turned that pick into a hybrid back/slot receiver and probably their starting TE who's a receiving threat in LaPorta. They can use Gibbs in different ways than Montgomery who they signed in free agency. He can also be another receiving threat in addition to LaPorta to offset the loss of Jamo for the first 6 games.

They'll have Montgomery (4-YPC), Gibbs, LaPorta, Brown (Pro-Bowl) and Jameson Williams as weapons.

With respect to CB, you are aware they signed Cam Sutton, Emmanuel Moseley and CJ Gardner-Johnson to shore up their defensive backfield, right?

From my research, it appears as if Okudah, Swift and Hockenson were in the last years of their contract and apparently managment decided they weren't worth a new contract due to injury and/or performance issues. Same thing the Commanders did with Chase Young. Instead of losing them for nothing, they traded them early and tried to get something in return.

In the 5th round they drafted a 6'5" 331 lb nose tackle named Broderic Martin; so they did, in fact, draft a DT.

Holmes and Campbell have stated repeatedly that they're looking for a certain mindset and/or attitude in addition to a player's talent.

Without being privy to their meetings with, and research findings about, the players under consideration, I find it curious how people can criticize their or any other team's draft picks this early.

I tend to lean toward giving organizations with scouting staffs, medical personnel and general managers (the Cowboys notwithstanding) with actual NFL talent evaluation experience the benefit of the doubt as to which players will be best for their team rather than Kiper, MckShay and all the others.

Time will tell.

cnuball21

Reaction score
In the Lions defense of not understanding positional value Branch in the 40s is one of the best picks of the draft.