Are the Lions Geniuses or Morons?

cnuball21

Reaction score
If they don’t think Goff is the guy all these picks don’t matter. Should’ve taken a QB, traded for Lance or some something to develop someone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Campbell is getting guys that fit his philosophy, and doesn't give a crap about what ppl think. Good for him.

It may not work out, value wise, but it's not like he's drafting bums here. These are all really good players
Same thing applies to the Cowboys.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you're inferring they don't know how to draft, look at their last couple of drafts and tell me how their current organization under Holmes resembles their prior staffs in any way. I'd like to hear that. Please make the case.
They drafted three excellent players who will only get better in the future...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they don’t think Goff is the guy all these picks don’t matter. Should’ve taken a QB, traded for Lance or some something to develop someone.
Goff is just as good if not better than Dak and has a ton of big game experience.

No need for them to force the QB position with the former #1 overall entering his prime on a young talented team.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Goff is just as good if not better than Dak and has a ton of big game experience.

No need for them to force the QB position with the former #1 overall entering his prime on a young talented team.
Goff is better than Dak. Whew.

Lets keep the Dak stuff on the main threads…

cnuball21

Reaction score
They’re about the same.
Yea I’d strongly, strongly, strongly disagree.

But staying on track - if they truly do believe he’s their guy you’re right. Which would take me back to the importance of positional value of early picks. Such a weird draft for them.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I’ll take morons for 500 Alex.

BUT…they just got Branch at 45 who is a top 25 player for me so I’ll cut them a little slack.
Thise are four great players..i see the Lions getting better in 2023.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Thise are four great players..i see the Lions getting better in 2023.
Absolutely, I like all 4 players.

The problem is if they’re in with Goff they had an opportunity to get 2 premium positions on cheap 5 year deals and instead they went with 2 cheap positions.

Ex - Now when FA comes around and CB is still a need next year they’ll have to spend 2/3 times as much as what a good RB / LBr would’ve cost.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
They drafted three excellent players who will only get better in the future...
Brown and Sewell were Pro-Bowlers last year and were drafted by Holmes in 2021.
Brown was picked in the 4th round.

Hutchinson was drafted in 2022 and named NFL Rookie of the Year.
3rd round pick Kerby Joseph led the team with 4 interceptions.
6th round pick James Houston had 8 sacks.
6th round pick Malcom Rodriguez started at middle linebacker.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Here's some insight on how other teams valued Gibbs and Campbell: https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/nflhotpress/article/2023-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Friday
Thanks for sharing. I suggested after the Gibbs pick when people were ranting about his value that these internet consensus boards mean nothing. I also said I would wager that there was a reason Detroit selected him at #12 & not #18 or #34.

Teams make their own boards based on their evaluations, not by popular opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were 2-3 other teams that would have strongly considered Gibbs in R1.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They drafted a QB. Looks like their plan is to develop Hooker into their future QB.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Are they Geniuses or did Matt Millan come back...

They're taking players well ahead of the general media/fan expectations.

Gibbs is a terrific player and I thought he would end up in the late 1st.
- However, top 12 seems a bit insane for the 2nd RB in the draft.

I wasn't convinced that Jack Campbell would be BPA at pick #58 but they took him at #18.

Now Sam LaPorta at #34 and the 2nd TE to be drafted.
Hated their draft....Could have been so much better.....If the plan was running back in the 1st....why not take the best one in Robinson?

Thought they would go CB....Gonzales.....nope. Traded away Okudah. Then ended up reaching for Branch to play CB???? God who knows...then gave up on Swift....lol.

Needed help @ DT....nope.

Flamma

Reaction score

I wasn't convinced that Jack Campbell would be BPA at pick #58 but they took him at #18.

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's something wrong with them. They have a RB, they trade him to Philly and pick a RB. That would have been a good spot to shore up that crap D.

So they go D with their 2nd pick and pick the 20th best defender on the board. I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

I guess they're good on D now, lets pick a TE that probably would have been there 30 picks later.

exciter

Reaction score

Eh, I wanted Gibbs at 26 and Laporta at 58…was a bit there I didn’t see a point in their existence!!!

mardwin

Reaction score
I remember when Dallas drafted a certain center from Wisconsin in the first round everyone thought he was a 3rd round talent. If you like the player and thinks he is going to turn into a significant contributor then go for it when you have the opportunity.