Are We as Cowboys fans and The Organization ever going to address the TE position?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They have been trying to draft Wittens heir apparent since Anthony Fasano, which says a lot about Witten, our TE evaluations, but probably both.

There was a post above that said the TE position is being phased out, which is a misinterpretation plain and simple.

TEs would be utilized more in this league, if there were simply more in this league.

If 5 or 6 Gronks where available every year, the TE position would be leading most WRs in stats.

Its a supply vs demand thing.

Would I personally like to see the position upgraded on this team,,, well ya, what fan wouldn't, but the simple truth is you have to drop your 1st on a player like Hurst if you want to really invest, or you can keep swinging in the later rounds and keep your fingers crossed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's difficult at best to replace Witten when he refuses to come off the field, even when the staff signals him to do so.

It's also tough to draft a capable replacement when the best ones disappear early. Maybe one of our #3s this year?

Compounding the problem, the Cowboys require some other acquisitions that comprise more demanding attention.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going to Address this Hold up we got at the TE Position???

Im seeing everybody so quick to want to git rid of Dez but what about this TE Spot who we signed to an extension at that? Who wont come off the field but i but will be a big problem if he's taken off the field like he's a game changer or sumthin, In 2018????

One decision im glad the staff made was Im glad we stop running those stupid TE screens to out of all people our most un athletic TE on the roster that NEVER worked either. ( At least give it to a player who can do sumthing but im starting to believe those were stat padded plays to Witt .. this staff sometimes man smh... 7 years JG!! 7 whole years and Nothing to show for it
and
Our Offensive and Defensive coordinators never won as head coaches matter of fact sooooo, Speaking of our coaches Rod is doing good for what he have he turning some water into some wine on defense here but he was a dline coach when TB won the Super Bowl not the D coordinator

Coaches that dont adapt in 2018 gonna get embarrassed by these coaches who do Evolve (Bill B Patriots) and understand how to utilize and season his team in order to win. Not this if you change what you do then i dont respect you man Rod need to retire too matter of fact now that im typing and thinking about what he has said. Anywho......

Love Witt for what he did but Man this is 3yrs overdue!!

Annnnnnd he's coming back next season, so now its 4 years Overdue!!

Just because your career is Hall of Fame dont mean ya play is on Tom Brady Age High Level idc

Jason Witten needs to be a ROLE Player next year! HE come in on Goaline and 3rd and Three's situation!!!!

He can still run straight and turn now! But Dak has to be REALLY Accurate to get Witten the ball

I dont catch feelings over players in this Young Mans league especially at TE posistion

We need more from that spot Period in 2018! if Dak gonna be throwing these type passes to TE's right now then I need a TE that can do something after the catch to get the majority of the TE catches for the Cowboys PERIOD! (AM Im talking to all Cowboy Nation on this ) forget padding stats which how i feel at times In the NFL

Im trying to make my team better and win forget we owe it to him and all that its 2017 we know how this business is and run at this point what have ya done fa me lately!

Emmitt got release Aikman, Ware, Allen, and Witten "Aint" no wear near those caliber Cowboy Players at least not in my eyes.

I know people think Witten still got it but im good at this point I been ready to move on for some seasons at the TE position. i believe our other TE's are more than capable handling what all Witten does at TE and develop instead of blocking 99 percent of the time

We paying alllll these dollars got a roster full of TE's and dont even really use them except just to "somewhat" block???

Might as well put an offensive lineman out there to block 99 percent of the time! i know personnel changes but atleast i like my chances better at least.. (Im making a point btw)

Those 8-8 and 9-7 seasons that Witten was apart of because he caught alot of those passes, i would be like since 82 get alot of balls thrown his way i wonder if we had a TE who could actually do something after the catch more often how many more games would we win. or how many more crucial 3rd down conversions that changes and alters games we could get with a at least thats how i think

Im paying millions of dollars so you getting paid real good to win!

My bad yall i know i was all over the place with this run on sentences but but i think yall understand my position and why i feel its been time to move on....

Can I get the English version?

Big_D

Reaction score
The expectations are too high for the position. Like 60, 500 and 5 aren’t good enough. They need to start introducing another TE in 2018.. and I’d like to see Gathers in there, but there’s much bigger issues with the offense. I think the scheme and OC have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot.. the cast of WRs seem to be lacking and the QB needs target practice. But maybe they can find the next Gronkowski? lol And even besides Dez there are receivers who definitely need to up there game. Witten is actually the least of their problem at the moment!

Proximo

Reaction score
My bad yall i know i was all over the place with this run on sentences but but i think yall understand my position and why i feel its been time to move on....

That was literally unintelligible.

I can't imagine anyone read that entire thing.

And what is the deal with the thread title- "are we as Cowboys fans". Fans can't do anything other than have an opinion, and there's been countless posts (opinions) on here calling for Witten's reduced snap count. Not sure what else the fanbase is supposed to do to "address the situation", lol.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Hanna, Swaim or Jarwin will all be playing long before knot head sees the field..

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
When the HC hangs out with the TE, takes him to Duke basketball games and things such as that, then doesn’t have the GUTS to take him off the field for one play, it’s hard to address the TE position.

Jimmy Johnson couldn’t have been more right about the country club atmosphere. Sense of entitlement starts at the top with the franchise.

I love Witten, but he should be on the field 15% of the time or told to get on with his life’s work. Problem is, there isn’t anybody that wants to do that. #culture

conner01

Reaction score
They've tried. Witten keeps putting em out to pasture, because he's always healthy and reliable.

Hannah - Always hurt
Escobar - Bust
Swaim - Hurt
Rico - Hurt
Bennett - Doofis

That's just the short list, but I think you get the point. ;)
They have tried. And Bennett actually played plenty of snaps
The simple answer is witten will see his playing time cut when someone shows they can play. On the roster that’s Rico
Rico, if he can learn the position is a freak athlete and can create mismatches all day
He looked good in camp before injury as a receiver but learning nfl football for a guy who didn’t play college ball has to be hard. So many things to learn but he did show that he could contribute in the passing game till he learns the rest

glimmerman

Reaction score
Witten brings consistency to the position. Good blocking and good hands. He will get open. He used to be a little more of a deeper threat than 5 yards. But until someone comes along that can do the same then he is hard to replace. Hanna and Rico and a host of others have tried to beat him out but can’t. This year someone needs to step up. I wouldn’t waste a high draft pick on one this year. We have had the luxury of having one of the best TE ever to play the game. He is a true pro and HOF and ROH guy. Soon will be his time but not this year. You can start to phase him out but if no one can replace him then it’s a loss for the Offense.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Here we go with the stats what happened in the game? when was those catches made that changed the game to where we won?

You missed the point. The fact is that Witten is top 10. That means a regression will most likely happen with a new TE. That means most Tight Ends in the NFL perform below the CURRENT OLD MAN Witten. And you will no doubt expect an improvement when that will be extremely difficult based on the current talent pool at that position.

Hardline

Reaction score
Witten brings consistency to the position. Good blocking and good hands. He will get open. He used to be a little more of a deeper threat than 5 yards. But until someone comes along that can do the same then he is hard to replace. Hanna and Rico and a host of others have tried to beat him out but can’t. This year someone needs to step up. I wouldn’t waste a high draft pick on one this year. We have had the luxury of having one of the best TE ever to play the game. He is a true pro and HOF and ROH guy. Soon will be his time but not this year. You can start to phase him out but if no one can replace him then it’s a loss for the Offense.
Just in case this post got past you.

cowboyec

Reaction score
#82....True Grit.
"so it is Witten....so it shall be done".
Cowboys Congregation says AMEN.

kazzd58

Reaction score
That was literally unintelligible.

I can't imagine anyone read that entire thing.

And what is the deal with the thread title- "are we as Cowboys fans". Fans can't do anything other than have an opinion, and there's been countless posts (opinions) on here calling for Witten's reduced snap count. Not sure what else the fanbase is supposed to do to "address the situation", lol.

Man i know apple be auto correcting on its own and i dont have time and dont feel like editing but my point is made

kazzd58

Reaction score
You missed the point. The fact is that Witten is top 10. That means a regression will most likely happen with a new TE. That means most Tight Ends in the NFL perform below the CURRENT OLD MAN Witten. And you will no doubt expect an improvement when that will be extremely difficult based on the current talent pool at that position.

They will Never develop on the sidelines and we dont know what they are capable of.

cej757

Reaction score
Way to thank a guy for missing one game his whole career and catching basically everything that comes his way... sheesh. I get that he doesn’t stretch the field and isn’t gronk but he’s doing what tight ends have done for years.

Don't forget the false starts and the holding penalties. :D

Beaker42

Reaction score
They've tried. Witten keeps putting em out to pasture, because he's always healthy and reliable.

Hannah - Always hurt
Escobar - Bust
Swaim - Hurt
Rico - Hurt
Bennett - Doofis

That's just the short list, but I think you get the point. ;)

To be fair to Escobar, he never got any reps because he wasn’t needed when we took him. We knew Witten still had 5 years so why play him?

NOW is when we need to find our future TE.