Are we becoming the new gen Patriots

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's true, the Cowboys did have a great run over that time. I guess would give the edge to the Patriots run for 3 reasons:
1) they did it in the salary cap era when it's much more difficult to maintain a great roster
2) they've been to 3 other Superbowls during this time, on top of the 5 they've won
3) I believe they've been to the playoffs every year since they're first SB, except the year they went 11-5 with Cassel.

Not trying to diminish the Cowboys great run, I'd just give the edge to the Patriots
And to counter those points here is what the Cowboys have done:
1) they did it before the game was sissified with all the rules to protect the QB and WRs, where it was more difficult to maintain a great roster
2) they've been to 3 other Superbowls during the time I talked about on top of the 5 they've won
3) made the playoff 26 consecutive years

Everything you throw at me about the Pats, the Cowboys have already done or done better. None of those points you mention distinguished Pat's history over the Cowboy's history.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
And to counter those points here is what the Cowboys have done:
1) they did it before the game was sissified with all the rules to protect the QB and WRs, where it was more difficult to maintain a great roster
2) they've been to 3 other Superbowls during the time I talked about on top of the 5 they've won
3) made the playoff 26 consecutive years

Everything you throw at me about the Pats, the Cowboys have already done or done better. None of those points you mention distinguished Pat's history over the Cowboy's history.
Doing it in the salary cap era is the main difference. You can't just buy the best players with the largest cheques anymore. You can say it's sissified, but all the teams play under the same rules and no other team has accomplished what the pats have. Doing this in the salary cap era puts them slightly above the Cowboys' run in my opinion.

The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in 1974, 1984, or 86-91. So I have no clue where you're getting 26 years from, unless pro football reference is wrong

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_streaks

Both of these sources say the Cowboys made it 9 straight years. So you're either lying or these sources are wrong.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Doing it in the salary cap era is the main difference. You can't just buy the best players with the largest cheques anymore. You can say it's sissified, but all the teams play under the same rules and no other team has accomplished what the pats have. Doing this in the salary cap era puts them slightly above the Cowboys' run in my opinion.

The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in 1974, 1984, or 86-91. So I have no clue where you're getting 26 years from, unless pro football reference is wrong

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_streaks

Both of these sources say the Cowboys made it 9 straight years. So you're either lying or these sources are wrong.
The "cap space" is only applicable to the players. You can still buy the best coaches with the largest cheques so don't tell me the Pats didn't have an advantage with Mr. Kraft's big bucks. As for the Cowboys consecutive playoffs, that was a typo, it was meant to say 9 but it is the NFL record, greater than the Patriots... just like the Cowboys are greater. So you see, the Cowboys have accomplished what the Pats have and more. Way more playoff appearances.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Patriots are about to make it 10 in a row this year and break that record
The Cowboys are about to make it 6 SB titles and tie the record. :D You aren't the only one that can count your chickens before they hatch.

kskboys

Reaction score
Play in a crappy division and win 5 games every season: check
Have a QB who no one wanted and we win with him: check
Have an aggressive GM: check
Have a smart coach: check
Have a system where everyone shines: check
Legacy: we are better

Regulars to playoffs: check. (2014, 16, 18)
Your last 4 are all x's.

Ozone22

Reaction score
I don't think I got the complete list. I didn't see where you checked off for playoff and SB wins.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just wondering, does the smart coach you're referring to happen to have the name Kris Richard? If so, then I can see it sort of see the smart coach claim. Other than that, tis a silly thread.