Are we concerned about week 1

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Gents--- After watching Derek Carr pick apart our backfield last night and our O line struggle ...are we concerned about Giants week #1?...personally i am concerned about our db's and safeties and our L/G
situation

We are playing Sheli not Carr. :lmao:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
okay. They played 3 series with beckham and marshall.

When they have all their guys on the field and gameplan they are going to throw the ball all over the place.

The lack of respect here for a division rival with as much if not more overall talent is odd to me.

I don't buy the more talent at all. The 800 lbs gorilla is the deterioration of Eli Manning. He started losing arm strength a couple years ago and it really affected his game last year. He was already erratic and now has eroding skills. If he tanks they are screwed.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Hopefully they go with more man early in the season, far too many blown assignments when they go zone.

Tolzien and Goff just suck so they couldn't take advantage of it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I don't buy the more talent at all. The 800 lbs gorilla is the deterioration of Eli Manning. He started losing arm strength a couple years ago and it really affected his game last year. He was already erratic and now has eroding skills. If he tanks they are screwed.

if he does they are but honestly I dont see that happening yet. I can't believe you do not think Marshall and Engram dont make them more talented. I have a feeling if we upgraded Victor Cruz and Larry Donnel with Brandon Marshall and Evan Engram this whole board and fan base would ecstatic.

Plus I think Perkins is going to bring a physical attribute to the offense that jennings did not. They have a weakness but you have to be able to cover these guys long enough to exploit it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
if he does they are but honestly I dont see that happening yet. I can't believe you do not think Marshall and Engram dont make them more talented. I have a feeling if we upgraded Victor Cruz and Larry Donnel with Brandon Marshall and Evan Engram this whole board and fan base would ecstatic.

Plus I think Perkins is going to bring a physical attribute to the offense that jennings did not. They have a weakness but you have to be able to cover these guys long enough to exploit it.

They have nice receivers. I know you don't see it because you have a tendency to overestimate our opponents and underestimating our talent. You were saying much the same about the NFC North last year when you were telling us we would be lucky to win 10 games.

We have a similar receiving corps, better QB, much better RB, much better OL. Without Hankins they are not going to be able to keep our interior OL off their LB and their LB are not all that and a bag of chips as it is.

Perkins was mediocre last year. Engram is a rookie transitioning to the progame. OBJ might not even play.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
They have nice receivers. I know you don't see it because you have a tendency to overestimate our opponents and underestimating our talent. You were saying much the same about the NFC North last year when you were telling us we would be lucky to win 10 games.

We have a similar receiving corps, better QB, much better RB, much better OL. Without Hankins they are not going to be able to keep our interior OL off their LB and their LB are not all that and a bag of chips as it is.

Perkins was mediocre last year. Engram is a rookie transitioning to the progame. OBJ might not even play.

it was the afc north i was concerned with. We hadn't made the playoffs since 94 when playing that division.

The giants linebackers are just ok and they are banged up and have some guys with issues. Last night bromley who is starting for hankins suffered an ankle sprain. The giants talent on defense when you look at it is not a bunch of world beaters, but together they are very good. They really only have two pass rushers who should cause problems but spagnuolo moves guys around and creates pressure from everywhere because of his tendency to bring anyone from anywhere.

Romo owned Spagnuolo and seemingly knew his blitzes before he brought them. those two final drives in the '15 opener were a clinic on how to beat his defenses. The first one they stayed back and he picked them apart and the second one, the winner they came after him and he picked them apart. He lost to that defense one time and it was the playoff game, its a damn shame.

anyway, I think this offense is going to play well against the Giants and I feel much better about this team going into this opener than last year. I thought a good season with Romo last year would be 10-6 or 11-5 and with the injuries we had early I thought we were in trouble because I am not a fan of this defense...By that I mean the scheme, I dont like it. I like bigger players and the 34 front.

I feel much better about this defense this year, I think the D-Line will play well and with a healthy scandrick the corners should be pretty good. I like heath so I am not worried about him either. Last year I didnt like the way the line looked and to be fair Lawrence and Collins were banged up. My concern with the defense at this moment is that it appears to be fragile. Mayowa and Paea are being nursed through practices, lawrence has that back issue that could come back, moore and irving are suspended etc. I think they will be ok though.

I can't wait till the game gets here. I think these are two good football teams and I think philly is good also.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Cowboys lack of Pass Rush is going to hurt but it's versus a weak NY Oline. Giants probably field one of the weakest Olines Dallas will face all year.

"Good thing we have Dak" ...Motto of the Year!

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Gents--- After watching Derek Carr pick apart our backfield last night and our O line struggle ...are we concerned about Giants week #1?...personally i am concerned about our db's and safeties and our L/G
situation
Dang right we all should be concerned about game 1. NYG defense beat us the last 2 times we played them. No cake walks this year unless your playing Cleveland, Jax or Indy. Also missing our starting RB for 6 games does not help. Anything can happen in the NFL.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Giants are very, severely, 1 dimensional on offense, they cant run the ball because their OL sucks, and they think that Paul Perkins can overcome that enormous obstruction.
I believe our defense has a fair chance in that game. Just stay in nickel and dime packages most of the day and they will be OK.

rynochop

Reaction score
Isn't he up for FA next year? That shouod be interesting

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Derek Carr and the Raiders offensive is the best offense we will face all season. They will pick apart a lot of very good defenses.

Eli Manning and the Giants horrible OL are not even comparable.

Bingo!!!!!!

gmoney112

Reaction score
Well yeah.

By the end of the season, we'll be a much better team and I think NY is going to be in trouble with Eli falling off a cliff and their OL.

But week 1, wouldn't be surprised if we lose a close one. Hard DL to face with two new position guys on OL, the platoon at DE with Moore/Irving suspended, secondary cohesion against some routes the vet WRs of NY will run, especially if Jaylon gets a lot of time, he just hasnt had the workload or faced NFL offenses that will test his zone integrity.

I wouldn't bet on this game either way, but we definitely have a good shot.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well yeah.

By the end of the season, we'll be a much better team and I think NY is going to be in trouble with Eli falling off a cliff and their OL.

But week 1, wouldn't be surprised if we lose a close one. Hard DL to face with two new position guys on OL, the platoon at DE with Moore/Irving suspended, secondary cohesion against some routes the vet WRs of NY will run, especially if Jaylon gets a lot of time, he just hasnt had the workload or faced NFL offenses that will test his zone integrity.

I wouldn't bet on this game either way, but we definitely have a good shot.
gmoney--- i might not watch the game because i get too nervous..last year i stopped watching as Pittsburge scored on us to take lead with 45 seconds left...but then Dak made miracle comeback to win...after i knew game was over i sheepishly checked dallascowboys.com for results and saw we won 35-29 i think?..i was elated

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I sure hope you are correct...i am nervous...i get this way every year...I am such a cowboy Homer

Like the earlier poster said.......huge difference between Eli and Carr. Also based on the last 4-5 years, games against the Giants are ALWAYS close......7 points or less. Like I said in another thread if we avoid silly penalties and turnovers, we'll be fine.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Like the earlier poster said.......huge difference between Eli and Carr. Also based on the last 4-5 years, games against the Giants are ALWAYS close......7 points or less. Like I said in another thread if we avoid silly penalties and turnovers, we'll be fine.
hawkeye---again i will say..i sure hope you are correct...i can get so nervous watching cowboy games..i like it when we just kick butt and its not too close

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
situation

I'm only worried about who returns punts.

The talent on offense looks great.

On defense, the Hitchen injury is a concern because they don't want to play Jaylon full time yet. Durant has not practiced so I don't know his status. Nonetheless, 2 down 4-3 LBs can be acquired more easily than most other positions and Jaylon could just play Nickel.