Are we gonna do ANYTHING?!

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I appreciate the fact that we are "smart" with our money these days, I do.

But what in the h*ll is going on right now? I see constant updates about how teams are agreeing to terms with free agents -- all while we sit back and do basically nothing.

Irvin is already gone, Malik Jackson is gone, Janoris Jenkins is gone, Mario Williams is gone, Colt McCoy is gone, JPP is gone; the list goes on.

Eventually, you have to stop dumpster diving for players. Yeah, free agency still hasn't officially started, so we still have a long ways to go. But how about being somewhat proactive rather than sitting back and doing squat!?

People don't always overpay for players early in free agency. You don't always have to wait until things cool down before you start making moves.

If you say you want to win, do something about it! There is a difference between being fiscally responsible and being just plain cheap.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Granted, we could still go out of get Miller and a good DT and still consider that "progress".

But right now, it seems like we have people getting better all around us while we spin our wheels and resign Jeff Heath!

John813

Reaction score
Teams that draft well do not need to waste money on outside free agents. Almost never works out when it comes to the dollar amount they receiver.

Cowboys, while not poor at drafting, aren't the best at drafting role/key players. We may strike gold on a 1st rounder, but then tank on the rest, sans a couple of depth guys for example.

So far, no one off the signed list really intrigued me, due to cost. No need to worry right now.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is a difference between being financial smart and being cheap.

The Cowboys are so afraid of bad contracts they are no longer fiscally sound but just downright cheap, preferring to let the market come to them and picking up the leftover scraps.

ICP

Reaction score
Cowboys will let all the other teams spend on free agents and then swoop in on the slime at the bottom off the barrel and hope it ferments into something edible. Same as they have been doing. Jerry and his clowns couldn't build a winner spending in free agency and they will have to many holes to fill by not spending. Hey I just had a thought, Jerry and Hal Steinbrenner must be best buds cuz the Yankees don't spend nothing to improve their team anymore either.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Which one of the overpaid FA's did you want us to overpay for?

Lamar Miller

I'm sure you enjoyed the Brinkley signing last year. Probably really got off when we signed Bryant Westbrook. They both really got us over the hump

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Y'all are toooooo OK with being at or below average. Some would like change because the way you guys think has gotten the team nowhere in 20

That's got absolutely nothing to do with anything.

And we haven't been pursuing the same strategy for 20 years, anyway.

You guys are freaking out over the first day of FA, like you do every season. Even if you want to swing for the fences in light of how poorly it tends to work out, you should at least be aware enough by now to not be caught by surprise by the fact that we're not going to.

We're not going to big players the first few days of FA. Get used to it.

coult44

Reaction score

You guys are freaking out over the first day of FA, like you do every season. Even if you want to swing for the fences in light of how poorly it tends to work out, you should at least be aware enough by now to not be caught by surprise by the fact that we're not going to.

Nope we shouldn't be surprised. They do the same thing every year. And guess what never changes? That's why we always think something might change though. You would think someone could talk some sense into them!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope we shouldn't be surprised. They do the same thing every year. And guess what never changes? That's why we always think something might change though. You would think someone could talk some sense into them!

Taking more big risks with a closed salary cap system is not the answer.

They need to draft and develop players. And they need their elite passing game to not be on the sidelines.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Really wish I could put my 401K on the bolded part.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

No they have changed up about every 5 years....you hit the nail on the head..they need to stick with one.