Video: Are we ready for "IT"

jwitten82

Reaction score
Yall have to watch this movie. Seriously the best horror movie to come out in a long time. When the conjuring part 1 came out I thought that was the best horror movie to recently come out, but IT is wayyyy better.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I really, really, want to go see this movie. I think I am going to try in the next day or two. Clowns don't scare me in the least, but, I love the energy behind the idea. You guys are really making me want to get the novel and read it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that great. 6/10. Not really scary. Pretty funny humor, though.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must be the only person that has no idea what the book or movie is about :)

In a nutshell...

It's about an ancient evil entity that ends up on earth millions of years ago.

The entity "wakes-up" every 30 years or so (usually on the heels of something "ugly" that happens within the community.

The entity then kills a certain number of children and once satisfied, goes back to sleep.

The entity can manifest itself into any shape it wants, with the clown being most prominent.

Why a clown?

The entity loves playing on the fear of children, and a clown allows the entity to get close to the child before murdering them.

While all this goes on every 30 years, the adults in the community kind of have a ho-hum attitude about it all, thus the pursuit of the entity never happens.

That is until a group of children nick-named "The losers club" realize what's going on and become a legitimate threat vs. the entity.

There's more to the story, but that's the basis.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone finally did King right

Interesting comment... Not because you're wrong. Many of King's novel to movie transformations (the horror genre– not including "Stand By Me" and "Shawshank") have come up flat like the recent "Dark Tower."

I think the early movies... "Christine", "Salem's Lot" and "Cujo" were very good.

There were a couple others that I thought were entertaining, weren't well thought off by most... "Maximum Overdrive", "Silver Bullet" and "Graveyard Shift".

"Fire Starter" didn't do anything for me. "Children of the Corn" was weak.

"Pet Cemetery" was OK.

And then we have "The Shining". This was a case when I thought the director (Kubrick) took what King wrote and amped it up creating not just one of the greatest horror movies of all time but one of the greatest movies of all time period– Conversely I thought King's TV version of "The Shining", staying true to the novel, paled in comparison to Kubrick's. Reiner and Darabont did similar with "Stand by Me" and "Shawshank Redemption", taking King's source material and amping it up into movies that are also among the all time greats.

Several dregs in the later works like "Delores Claiborne" and "Needful Things".
In Kings later works, "Misery" is a good flick. And I love "The Mist", which had its ending changed by the director so that it varied from what King had.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I shouldn't really say this. Some good stuff in the 80's with Carrie, Christine and The Shining. But King on film went downhill.

Desperation was the low point IMO. Such a great novel. TV movie was just awful

It was too... A stinker.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interesting comment... Not because you're wrong. Many of King's novel to movie transformations (the horror genre– not including "Stand By Me" and "Shawshank") have come up flat like the recent "Dark Tower."

I think the early movies... "Christine", "Salem's Lot" and "Cujo" were very good.

There were a couple others that I thought were entertaining, weren't well thought off by most... "Maximum Overdrive", "Silver Bullet" and "Graveyard Shift".

"Fire Starter" didn't do anything for me. "Children of the Corn" was weak.

"Pet Cemetery" was OK.

And then we have "The Shining". This was a case when I thought the director (Kubrick) took what King wrote and amped it up creating not just one of the greatest horror movies of all time but one of the greatest movies of all time period– Conversely I thought King's TV version of "The Shining", staying true to the novel, paled in comparison to Kubrick's. Reiner and Darabont did similar with "Stand by Me" and "Shawshank Redemption", taking King's source material and amping it up into movies that are also among the all time greats.

Several dregs in the later works like "Delores Claiborne" and "Needful Things".
In Kings later works, "Misery" is a good flick. And I love "The Mist", which had its ending changed by the director so that it varied from what King had.
I think they had some success with his work early, but it hit a real lull in the early to mid, when most of his stuff got adapted to TV and was just done poorly.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope this leads to a proper version of the Stand and finally The Talisman

Yes the stand was too..not sure what the right word was...too clean, to leave it to beaver ish...Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Would like to see it re done with a darker tone. I still like the TV version for a few of the roles but some of it just was to cookie cutter for lack of a better term.

Also...The Talisman would be a fun watch if were done correctly.

Them

Reaction score
...I read "It" the book many moons ago...A great read; the television mini-series came out a little later...it was well done...I do look forward to seeing this new movie!...:)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes the stand was too..not sure what the right word was...too clean, to leave it to beaver ish...Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Would like to see it re done with a darker tone. I still like the TV version for a few of the roles but some of it just was to cookie cutter for lack of a better term.

I dont know the status of The Stand, but it was in development. I believe Christian Bale was going to be Randel Flagg and Mathew McConaughey was going to be Stu Redmon

Stryker44

Reaction score

The Trashcan Man's performance was iconic.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Trashcan Man's performance was iconic.

He did a good job.
Rob Lowe did good IMO
Tom Cullen spells M O O N character was good.

But it was not so much the characters as it just seemed too andy griffith instead of sons of anarchy.

Needed to be grittier and darker IMO.