Are we sure we don't need a WR in the 1st?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Unless a stud drops to us I wouldn't. But 2nd round and later they should look into it.
You take BPA - WR included. We weren’t looking for CeeDee but he fell into our laps at 17. If Coleman or the kid from LSU are there you take him. Then RB at 56 and LB in the 3rd or vice versa.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’d have agreed with you 100% 3-4 years ago…but next year is already going to be a disaster, so it’s just better to move on now and clear more money…he is NOT a difference maker!!!
Too many fans are already marking down next season as a disaster. It may end up not being as bad as everyone is expecting. Everyone thought the 2014 season would be a disaster. Some in the media were picking the Cowboys to be the worst team in the league but they ended up having a real good season and won a playoff game. Cooks may not be a difference maker but he has speed and experience. We can’t just depend on CeeDee. We still have to prepare to have a successful season and not prepare to tank.

Sydla

Reaction score
You take BPA - WR included. We weren’t looking for CeeDee but he fell into our laps at 17. If Coleman or the kid from LSU are there you take him. Then RB at 56 and LB in the 3rd or vice versa.

So our premium picks in the draft go to a WR, then a Rb and then a LB?

Who’s gonna block for the new RB and give Dak time to get the ball to the new WR?

Flamma

Reaction score
Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabers will be gone in the top 10. That leaves Rome Odunze. That would be crazy if he made it to 24. Any other WR wouldn't qualify as falling to us. Coleman will probably be there at 24. But I doubt the Cowboys have a 1st round grade on him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Pre combine, free agency, I figured we would go for jpj in the 1st, cooper (lb) or trotter in the 2nd and rb Benson in the third. Everyone else would be backups, etc. like bortoli in the 5th. In free agency, Pittman jr, a possession wr, with 10 yards a catch, basically slow te numbers should be an easy signing.

Fast forward.
1) After the combine, everyone advanced their position and should be drafted high.
2) Pittman got way over paid, etc.
3) we have a ton of holes on the team.
4) low free agency activity

With depth in the draft for oline and linebackers and rbs, nobody is talking about this, but we need some weapons to stretch the field- WR in the first round. Forget cooks and Tolbert…

I mean the offense goes through Lamb. If Dak isn’t comfortable throwing to him (GB or SF playoff games), it feels like he gets that look on his face on the first drive and the game is over.

Draft Dak a down field wr threat in the first. Grab a center and rb next, roll with the lb on the roster if you have to.

Win on offense with talent and let zimmer scheme the defense.

Go cowboys!
Who's JPJ?

morasp

Reaction score
I think you need at least three high level pass catchers 6.3+. We have two with the second one declining. Schoonmaker isn't there yet but has the tools to become one. Any one of these guys has the potential to come in and boost our passing game.

6.86 Malik Nabers
6.83 Marvin Harrison
6.74 Rome Odunze
6.44 Brian Thomas Jr.
6.39 Ladd McKonkey
6.38 Adonai Mitchell
6.35 Malichi Corley
6.35 Troy Franklin
6.35 Roman Wilson

Joe Burrow is a good QB but he also has had some pretty good support.
7.12 Chase Round 1 pick 5
6.37 Tee Higgins Round 2 pick 1
6.4 Tyler Boyd Round 2 Pick 24

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pre combine, free agency, I figured we would go for jpj in the 1st, cooper (lb) or trotter in the 2nd and rb Benson in the third. Everyone else would be backups, etc. like bortoli in the 5th. In free agency, Pittman jr, a possession wr, with 10 yards a catch, basically slow te numbers should be an easy signing.

Fast forward.
1) After the combine, everyone advanced their position and should be drafted high.
2) Pittman got way over paid, etc.
3) we have a ton of holes on the team.
4) low free agency activity

With depth in the draft for oline and linebackers and rbs, nobody is talking about this, but we need some weapons to stretch the field- WR in the first round. Forget cooks and Tolbert…

I mean the offense goes through Lamb. If Dak isn’t comfortable throwing to him (GB or SF playoff games), it feels like he gets that look on his face on the first drive and the game is over.

Draft Dak a down field wr threat in the first. Grab a center and rb next, roll with the lb on the roster if you have to.

Win on offense with talent and let zimmer scheme the defense.

Go cowboys!
You can make a case for all of the premium positions to be drafted in the 1st. If you have an opportunity to get a stud on a cheap rookie deal you do it.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
If we are on the clock and Thomas is still on the board, you know the phone will be ringing for a trade back.
Wr's normally take a good 2 to 3 years to develop into being a consistent threat. It's not like we are talking about a top 10 WR. How efficient is that WR going to be to help us when Dak is running for his life?
Getting JPJ or Barton would help the team from get go and allow the offense to be more consistent and that will allow for a rookie WR (let's say Polk) to have better success. Controlling the line of scrimmage is the name of the game. That needs to be addressed first and when you have a chance to select the highest rated player at a position of major need you do it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Beyond Lamb, our WR's aren't very good. Definitely a possibility
Yea…I think Cooks is still solid but not sure he has the juice he used to. Probably a great #3 on a contender.

I’d be very happy with BTJ, Franklin or AD at 24. Think they’re all legit top 20 WR prospects most years it’s just such a loaded class they’re slated to go a little later this year.

rambo2

Reaction score
Depends on how they feel about Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchel.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Good draft for WRs. If we don't come out of this with an upgrade to Tolbert, it's a big mussed opportunity