Are we switching back to a 3-4 scheme with Zimmer

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The idea of a 3-4 or 4-3 defining a defense has been a dated one for a while now. All NFL teams are in some variation of a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 on 80% of the snaps.
Agreed but there is an appreciable difference between Parsons being a DE as part of a 4-2-5 vs an edge LB as part of a 3-3-5. The Cowboys should want to use Parsons as a TJ Watt type player instead of a Nick Bosa type player.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nope. We are switching back to that which already failed hard here decades ago.

We are switching back to the perpetual 8-8 mind set.
It’s ok man.

Zimmer is a great coach.

He’s been DC and HC.

that AA-gap defense is for real.

Brooksey

Reaction score
When is the last time we ran a 3-4 defense? Wade Phillips with Dware? It will be really interesting to see what the personnel decisions are over free agency because we have no linebackers and we are going to need a few to run a true 3-4 defense. Micah will obviously fit right in as a pass rushing linebacker but I wonder if we try to convert some of our other DEs to linebacker like Sam Williams possibly? No more safeties at linebacker please.
Probably the 4-2-5 Flex to keep the guards off our LB's

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
When is the last time we ran a 3-4 defense? Wade Phillips with Dware? It will be really interesting to see what the personnel decisions are over free agency because we have no linebackers and we are going to need a few to run a true 3-4 defense. Micah will obviously fit right in as a pass rushing linebacker but I wonder if we try to convert some of our other DEs to linebacker like Sam Williams possibly? No more safeties at linebacker please.
Zimmer can coach both defenses but he's primarily a 4-3 defense and that's the defense He'll be running in Dallas

CowboysFilmStudy

Reaction score
3-4/4-3 isn’t really a thing anymore and hasn’t been for 5 years. Most teams play 80% nickel.
Hit the nail on the head. We hardly see base personnel anymore. With as much as teams throw the ball we can almost bet we’re gonna see 5 DBs on the field

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
He dosent run a 3-4, so why would he do that now? He only ran it 1 year here in Dallas cause of Parcells.

Majic

Reaction score
Agreed but there is an appreciable difference between Parsons being a DE as part of a 4-2-5 vs an edge LB as part of a 3-3-5. The Cowboys should want to use Parsons as a TJ Watt type player instead of a Nick Bosa type player.
Not only that, but the size of the player is different between the schemes. I wait to see what Zimmer does with Parsons but I think he will use 3-4 looks

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I hope not. We don't have the personnel. And who really cares at this point. Quinn is a better coach than Zimmer. Heck I would have taken Wink Martindale over Zimmer.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
What about when teams schemed to get Ware in coverage rather than rushing? I don’t want that happening to Micah.

Though, I’m ok with him in coverage more(a little-very little). Just not when the opposition wants him there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zim is a quintessential 4-3 guy.
He will run 4-2-5 a lot but not as much as DQ did and not when we are getting gashed in the run game.
Hiring him now so he can evaluate our personnel and ask for draft pieces and FA makes a lot of sense.
He'll join that player personnel huddle this off-season with Mike, Stephen, Jerry and Will.

conner01

Reaction score
AA gap defense.
Exactly. The idea is they don’t know who is coming or from where. He plays a safety and cb up who could also come. In the end though it’s 4 most of the time and sometimes 5. The concept should help the edge rushers get more one in one blocks