Are we switching back to a 3-4 scheme with Zimmer

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When is the last time we ran a 3-4 defense? Wade Phillips with Dware? It will be really interesting to see what the personnel decisions are over free agency because we have no linebackers and we are going to need a few to run a true 3-4 defense. Micah will obviously fit right in as a pass rushing linebacker but I wonder if we try to convert some of our other DEs to linebacker like Sam Williams possibly? No more safeties at linebacker please.
Zimmer is a 4-3 guy.

Only ran 3-4 when Parcells switched to 3-4.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
zim doesn’t run a 3-4 D
a few things wrong with this question but this is the biggest one.

He was forced into a 3-4 defense at the end of his time here under Parcells. Has ran a 4-3 concept everywhere else.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. We are switching back to that which already failed hard here decades ago.

We are switching back to the perpetual 8-8 mind set.
Were we ranked 1 once when he was here? Can’t remember
2003 Cowboys Defense
Points Allowed #2
Yards Allowed #1

That was Zimmer as DC running a 4-3. They didn't switch to the Parcells 3-4 until 2005.

starfan1

Reaction score
2003 Cowboys Defense
Points Allowed #2
Yards Allowed #1

That was Zimmer as DC running a 4-3. They didn't switch to the Parcells 3-4 until 2005.
also had Laroi Glover I think he and Ratliff are about the only true NT we have had since the 90s

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
also had Laroi Glover I think he and Ratliff are about the only true NT we have had since the 90s
Neither are true NT's. Both were smaller 3Tech types that were forced to play NT in the 3-4 scheme.

Glover was 6'2" 290 and his best years were in New Orleans as a 3Tech. They moved to a 3-4 his last season in Dallas. He lost his job to Jason Ferguson and was cut by the end of the year.

Ratliff was drafted as a 3-4 End, He only played Nose when Jason Ferguson got hurt. Necessity is the mother of invention; see also Micah Parsons as an Edge Rusher.

Much like with Romo and Dak, the Cowboys lucked into Ratliff. Those types of rare successes lead to their undying delusion that they are competent football decision makers.

starfan1

Reaction score
Neither are true NT's. Both were smaller 3Tech types that were forced to play NT in the 3-4 scheme.

Glover was 6'2" 290 and his best years were in New Orleans as a 3Tech. They moved to a 3-4 his last season in Dallas. He lost his job to Jason Ferguson and was cut by the end of the year.

Ratliff was drafted as a 3-4 End, He only played Nose when Jason Ferguson got hurt. Necessity is the mother of invention; see also Micah Parsons as an Edge Rusher.

Much like with Romo and Dak, the Cowboys lucked into Ratliff. Those types of rare successes lead to their undying delusion that they are competent football decision makers.
ok let me rephrase it to thats the last time we had quality production from that position. and I thought Wade phillips was the 3-4 guy. I thought glover played in the 4-3. who am i kidding I cant remember last week let alone 2006

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
One of the top Ds doesn't set and keep an NFL record for 200 yard rushers given up in a single season.
That was the year 2000 and the personnel here was terrible. Leon Lett and Chad Hennings were on their last legs at DT and the linebackers were guys like Joe Bowden, Barron Wortham, and Darren Hambrick.

A few years later- still under Zimmer- Dallas had the best run defense in football.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
ok let me rephrase it to thats the last time we had quality production from that position. and I thought Wade phillips was the 3-4 guy. I thought glover played in the 4-3. who am i kidding I cant remember last week let alone 2006
Parcells wanted a 3-4 and surprise, surprise the Jones wanted to keep Zimmer who was a 4-3 disciple. Zimmer, being a pro, figured it out but went right back to 4-3 concepts in Cincinnati and Minnesota first chance he got.

Once of the main "justifications" Jerry gave for hiring Wade was that he was a 3-4 guru and that Parcells had drafted a lot of players specifically for the 3-4 scheme.

Almost none of that matters now though since defenses must be multiple. If anything, a 4-2-5 is everyone's base defense and then you sub base on the team and personnel.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ratliff became a starter after Parcells departed.

Ratliff was a Wade Phillips type NT.

Parcells wanted a bigger NT if he could get one.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
When is the last time we ran a 3-4 defense? Wade Phillips with Dware? It will be really interesting to see what the personnel decisions are over free agency because we have no linebackers and we are going to need a few to run a true 3-4 defense. Micah will obviously fit right in as a pass rushing linebacker but I wonder if we try to convert some of our other DEs to linebacker like Sam Williams possibly? No more safeties at linebacker please.
Zim was primarily 4-3 anyway. I don't ever recall him running a base 3-4