CFZ Are we undervaluing the defense?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know they lost some offensive starters which seems to be the major concern, primarily at LG, RT and WR. And that is basically an unknown at this time.

Then Gregory walked but just how important was he to the defense and overall team?

Do we spend so much time addressing what we don't like that we don't spend enough time looking for the things we do or can like?

Offense has some questions but it ranked 1st and couldn't muster over 17 in the playoff game but only gave up 23 on defense.

So, what if the offense falls off but stays in the top 10? And what if the defense becomes what really steps up? Because that is exactly what happened to this franchise in the early 90's. And what resulted was balance.

I think this defense needs a little more looking into before we start giving up the East to the Eagles and predicting another one playoff game bow out.

Dan Quinn proved himself last season because he got creative with the talent he had when he really didn't know what he had. No one predicted Diggs and Parsons and when was the last time the Cowboys had 2 players in the top 10 defensive players?

It wasn't just Parsons and his freakish athletic talent, it was Quinn exploiting that talent and turning him into a defensive weapon and overnight NFL sensation. Think he's going to regress this season? I'll take all bets against that and Diggs has proven himself to be the first ball hawk since Sanders for the Cowboys.

I really think the lack of movement on name FA's this off season has shaded things too much and caused some to really drain that half empty glass.

One thing that keeps coming back to me about this defense. Dan Quinn was the hottest HC candidate out there and linked with 5 different openings and he elected to take himself off the market and remain the DC here. We can discuss his HC resume but his DC one is exemplary and he knows a good D when he sees one and I think that is why he came back. I think he believes he has something special in the making.

Before you get all down about the offense, keep in mind it's a complete team and no Cowboys team in history ever accomplished anything without a standout defense.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It's going to be hard to duplicate the turnovers they produced last season. Those played a role in the success of the offense, which will likely have to do a little more with a little less to make up for it.

There is mystery around this year's defense but see them as on the upswing and expect them to improve in all areas this season. Ēxcept for leading the league in turnovers again.

JBS

Reaction score
It's going to be hard to duplicate the turnovers they produced last season. Those played a role in the success of the offense, which will likely have to do a little more with a little less to make up for it.

There is mystery around this year's defense but see them as on the upswing and expect them to improve in all areas this season. Ēxcept for leading the league in turnovers again.
They did it for 16 games last year and the last 8-10 games the year before. They’ll be fine taking the ball away.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As you pointed out CC, no Cowboys team has ever played in a SB without an excellent defense. You have to have a good offense too obviously. But without a defense that can make key stops at key moments, the offense can’t do it alone.

And…It’s so often forgotten how good the defenses were for the last two SB winners. The 2020 Tampa Bay defense was what carried that team to the SB. Yes they have the GOAT at QB. But TBs defense saved Brady’s bacon in the NFC championship game when he threw 3 INTs and almost personally cost them the game. It was the TB defense that kept Aaron Rodgers out of the end zone late in the game to seal the win.

Look at the rams D last year. When they absolutely had to stop Joe Burrow and the bengals, they got huge plays from Aaron Donald and Von Miller. Without a stout defense, the rams don’t win the SB. This is after shutting down Brady and the Bucs offense earlier.

We certainly have more talent on the defense than we’ve had in over a decade. Parsons, Diggs, and some other youngsters could and probably should be better than last year. Dan Quinn appears to be the most capable DC we’ve had in a long time. This will be a very interesting year for the defense. They may be a big surprise. We’re less than 90 days from the 2022 season’s start.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm expecting big things from our defense. I think we're going to get much better production from our tackles, both in the run game and the pass rush. The the wild card is LVE, if he can recapture that rookie season, this defense will take a major step forward. There might even be "whispers" of doomsday a time or two throughout the season;) instead of looking to them not to lose a game, I actually think they're going to win us a few:flagwave:

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
its actually good to see resources spent on the D for me, again no team wins anything giving up 200+ rushing yards in playoff games. Also clean up the penalties on both sides and the change would show in the W/L column in my mind. I was pissed about the SF game but after you calm down and re watch it, we gave them way too many free yards that game and it was the diference. I think the defense will be better this year and if they fix the penalties and some 2nd and 3rd year guys take steps forward...we could have back to back good seasons for the first time in a while.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The big test for the defense will be stopping the run. If they do that and keep offenses in 3rd and long they could have a big year. But unless Ridgeway is a stud or one of those other guys slipped past the drug tests, it doesn't look like they did much inside.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The big test for the defense will be stopping the run. If they do that and keep offenses in 3rd and long they could have a big year. But unless Ridgeway is a stud or one of those other guys slipped past the drug tests, it doesn't look like they did much inside.

They will need one of the young guys to get better on the inside, I know its not as good as grabbing a proven player in FA but it does happen....but yeah thats the main thing they can either stop the run or they will not do well when its chips are down time.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I'm going out on on a limb here. I feel Quinn will bring the level needed to help this team go further. Proved it last year. It was an outstanding effort.

Bottom line, Quinn is just football smart about defense. I personally, don't feel we degraded on any level. (Defense wise)

In Ironic way, we might have improved.

75boyz

Reaction score
Consistency is key. Getting home vice pressures. Stopping playoff level run game/o-lines.

I think the turnovers will be there to be had again if pass rush improves over last year.
May be not as many as last year.
3rd down stops, especially sacks cause entire momentum shifts and builds defensive confidence.

So imo its all up to the pass rush to get home and ...

And again...somehow, some way....(drumrolll)...
Stopping the run at playoff time.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will need one of the young guys to get better on the inside, I know its not as good as grabbing a proven player in FA but it does happen....but yeah thats the main thing they can either stop the run or they will not do well when its chips are down time.
They need their 2020 and 2021 D picks to step up and stay healthy enough to sustain something.

I think we get too caught up in the rookie seasons of players and do not give them time to grow and improve. That's Quinn's coaching staff's job to bring them along but they have to stay healthy enough to grow.

Used to be there was the 3 year evaluation rule for draft picks, then they started ranking them immediately and some before they even hit the field. It's all football, but there is that transition period that takes more time for some to adjust to playing against bigger, faster, stronger and better trained players.

I remember Charlie Waters talking about being a rookie and I don't think it's really changed. He said he got to camp and thought that was it, then he got into some preseason games and thought that was it and then came the real games and his head was spinning. Didn't help Landry had Charlie and Cliff at CB where they earned the nicknames "Burnt" and "Toast" but Landry corrected that error and ended up with a great tandem of Safeties. But they had to work into it.

We forget the rule where Martin and Parsons are true exceptions and should not be the benchmark for rookies.

Some are already expecting big things from Smith, Sam I Am, Tolbert and even Ferguson but these guys need time, they need to make mistakes and learn from them. I think we are too hard on the youngsters and want them to grow too fast.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They need their 2020 and 2021 D picks to step up and stay healthy enough to sustain something.

I think we get too caught up in the rookie seasons of players and do not give them time to grow and improve. That's Quinn's coaching staff's job to bring them along but they have to stay healthy enough to grow.

Used to be there was the 3 year evaluation rule for draft picks, then they started ranking them immediately and some before they even hit the field. It's all football, but there is that transition period that takes more time for some to adjust to playing against bigger, faster, stronger and better trained players.

I remember Charlie Waters talking about being a rookie and I don't think it's really changed. He said he got to camp and thought that was it, then he got into some preseason games and thought that was it and then came the real games and his head was spinning. Didn't help Landry had Charlie and Cliff at CB where they earned the nicknames "Burnt" and "Toast" but Landry corrected that error and ended up with a great tandem of Safeties. But they had to work into it.

We forget the rule where Martin and Parsons are true exceptions and should not be the benchmark for rookies.

Some are already expecting big things from Smith, Sam I Am, Tolbert and even Ferguson but these guys need time, they need to make mistakes and learn from them. I think we are too hard on the youngsters and want them to grow too fast.

Agreed second and third year guys taking good steps forward should be expected and the norm for any team that says they are drafting well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys are ever going to turn the corner the defense is going to have to become an elite unit that shows up in the big games in Dec/Jan. We haven’t had a defense like that since the early/mid 90s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gregory was probably a factor in our defense . How much is yet to be seen. And we haven’t seen Lawrence play a full season in years. The possibility of not having either for any amount of time could be impactful. Not sure Parsons could make up that loss.

And what will the impact be to our secondary if our pass rush isn’t as strong . It all starts up front and if our cornerstone pieces are out or not as strong then our defense is lessened. We shall see.

But boy howdy, my first take from this OP was we could walk thru brick walls. I’m fired up . Lol

As far as our DC, I think he didn’t get he job offer he was wanting . Like in Denver. He knows he must go to a team that can win right away or his HC career could be over . And the OP is probably right in that another year here with this defense provides an opportunity to up the anty. But it could go the other way too.

This is a risky place with our dysfunctional ownership and toxic atmosphere to be counting on it place you in a better position to move up. Personally I’d advise him to get out ASAP. Or he could go down with the ship .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys are ever going to turn the corner the defense is going to have to become an elite unit that shows up in the big games in Dec/Jan. We haven’t had a defense like that since the early/mid 90s.
Yep, remember last time we had a top defense it carried Quincy Carter to the playoffs.

Sydla

Reaction score
I know they lost some offensive starters which seems to be the major concern, primarily at LG, RT and WR. And that is basically an unknown at this time.

Then Gregory walked but just how important was he to the defense and overall team?

Do we spend so much time addressing what we don't like that we don't spend enough time looking for the things we do or can like?

Offense has some questions but it ranked 1st and couldn't muster over 17 in the playoff game but only gave up 23 on defense.

So, what if the offense falls off but stays in the top 10? And what if the defense becomes what really steps up? Because that is exactly what happened to this franchise in the early 90's. And what resulted was balance.

I think this defense needs a little more looking into before we start giving up the East to the Eagles and predicting another one playoff game bow out.

Dan Quinn proved himself last season because he got creative with the talent he had when he really didn't know what he had. No one predicted Diggs and Parsons and when was the last time the Cowboys had 2 players in the top 10 defensive players?

It wasn't just Parsons and his freakish athletic talent, it was Quinn exploiting that talent and turning him into a defensive weapon and overnight NFL sensation. Think he's going to regress this season? I'll take all bets against that and Diggs has proven himself to be the first ball hawk since Sanders for the Cowboys.

I really think the lack of movement on name FA's this off season has shaded things too much and caused some to really drain that half empty glass.

One thing that keeps coming back to me about this defense. Dan Quinn was the hottest HC candidate out there and linked with 5 different openings and he elected to take himself off the market and remain the DC here. We can discuss his HC resume but his DC one is exemplary and he knows a good D when he sees one and I think that is why he came back. I think he believes he has something special in the making.

Before you get all down about the offense, keep in mind it's a complete team and no Cowboys team in history ever accomplished anything without a standout defense.

23 points in the playoffs isn't that impressive as they faced a middling offense with an average QB. I wouldn't put a ton of value into what the defense did in the playoffs.

Overall, the defense still has the same issues/questions:
  • Where are the playmakers up the middle, especially at DT (Parsons isn't playing MLB every down)?
  • Can they stop the run when it counts (they couldn't against the 49ers)?
  • Can they rush the passer at a high level (even with Parsons, they still were middle of pack in sacks/pressures)?
They had a historic year in creating turnovers which masked a lot of their other defensive issues. What happens if this defense can't keep up that torrid pace in creating turnovers? I suspect if this team comes back to earth in the turnover department, this D could end up giving up points and yards like they did in previous years. This defense seems built on getting turnovers. If they don't, I suspect the lack of real talent at DT and the inability to be a dominant pass rush team will hurt them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The biggest question/concern with the defense is upfront. The 49ers OL manhandled us in the playoffs. Nothing we did during the off-season makes me feel any better about our DL. When you can’t stop the run and your top sacker is a part time edge rusher you have problems.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Gregory was probably a factor in our defense . How much is yet to be seen. And we haven’t seen Lawrence play a full season in years. The possibility of not having either for any amount of time could be impactful. Not sure Parsons could make up that loss.

And what will the impact be to our secondary if our pass rush isn’t as strong . It all starts up front and if our cornerstone pieces are out or not as strong then our defense is lessened. We shall see.

But boy howdy, my first take from this OP was we could walk thru brick walls. I’m fired up . Lol

As far as our DC, I think he didn’t get he job offer he was wanting . Like in Denver. He knows he must go to a team that can win right away or his HC career could be over . And the OP is probably right in that another year here with this defense provides an opportunity to up the anty. But it could go the other way too.

This is a risky place with our dysfunctional ownership and toxic atmosphere to be counting on it place you in a better position to move up. Personally I’d advise him to get out ASAP. Or he could go down with the ship .
As long as Jerry is still the Capitan this ship is not going down.