Are You A Survival Prepper?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Are you waiting for the Apocalypse? Electrical Grid Blackout? SHTF? Aliens or even worse Kathy Griffen comes on tour to your town?

Do you prepare? For me i've got stored food right now maybe 2 months worth.( MRE STAR & READY HOUR PRODUCTS) Camping gear to BUG OUT.

How about you?
Love her comedy.

rags747

Reaction score
I actually stocked my 2 sons in NYC with about 3 to 4 months of food for them. Also just the cost of food in NYC is crazy,so helps if they need it. My youngest is going to college and the MRE Star meals really helps him save money instead of always eating out.

Not sure where you are now but as you know NYC is probably the A+ #1 Target for all of our friends Overseas. I’m originally from NY so very familiar with all of that. Good thinking on your part!

Creeper

Reaction score
I have a good supply of ammo and water. I have Faraday boxes for electrical equipment, and gas for my generator. I am still trying to figure out if my generator is safe or it I need to shield it from EMP. I have read conflicting articles on that. But If I have to I will insulate my shed with some kind of shielding to protect it.

I am considering stocking some MREs or other non-perishable foods, at least a months worth. I haven't decided yet.

I am not worried about zombies. Or Aliens. If it is aliens we are all doomed anyway and no amount of preparation will save us. I think our most likely doomsday scenario will be a gamma ray burst from the sun. Not big enough to kill us all but big enough to disrupt electronics and stuff. The second most likely scenario is a large space object impacted earth. Either it kills us all on impact or it kills us 2 years later. After that I think its the super volcano in Yellowstone that will be a problem.

Other than that I suppose we have to worry about the little fat man in North Korea trying something stupid, like an EMP burst in the upper atmosphere. I don't think that will happen though. I really don't believe anyone would be crazy enough to use nukes. That is a no win scenario.

I am 70 so this stuff has to happen in the next 10 years or I don't care.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I am by default. I'm an avid hunter, fisherman, backpacker, kayaker, and all around outdoorsman. I've been at it hard for 50 years now and my accumulated gear makes my garage look like a Cabela's. I've got everything from water purification gear, to cold weather gear, to cook wear, to rafting gear, camping gear, and a ton of guns and ammo. I try to keep 500 rounds for every gun that I own.

After Snowmageddon in Texas back in 2001 I learned I wasn't as prepared as I'd like. I added a Jackery solar generator to my gear, a snow shovel, multiple power banks, 2 cords of cut firewood, fire starter sticks, a plug in space heater, 4 extra propane bottles, and a folding table for cooking on in the garage. You learn things as you go, like needing a snow shovel so my dogs could get out to poop, power banks to keep the phones going, extra propane for the grill since we had no power and couldn't use our stove/oven, and a flat space to cook with a camp stove in the garage.

COVID in 2022 reminded me that I still wasn't as prepared as I'd of liked. Toilet paper, who knew? I do now and have overstock of paper goods, vitamins, bleach, hand sanitizer, latex gloves, added for health. I also learned about boredom and stocked up on puzzles, games, and books added to my Kindle. I restocked my garage with assorted nails, screws, and scrap wood for projects. I keep my liquor cabinet FULL now and make sure I'm never low on smoke. I added extra gas cans to my garage that I always keep full and will keep our vehicles topped off when I know something like this is going to happen.

Knowing something is going to happen and acting on it is half the battle. We knew Snowmageddon was going to happen a week before it did and I prepared for it. We knew COVID was going to happen a month before it did and I prepared for it. I've eaten enough MREs in my life that I knew I wanted no more of that and stocked the panty with dry beans, rice, pasta, Spam, tuna, spaghetti sauce, chicken noodle soup, candy, and canned veg. I had big cuts of meat in my freezer like roasts, briskets, whole chickens, and pork butts that I could cook in 1 day but eat on for a week. We even froze milk, bread, and tortillas while supplies were in short demand.

Lastly I want a way to get out. Snowmageddon was such a miserable ice field that even with two 4 wheel drive vehicles we were pretty much stuck. I added two sets of snow chains to our vehicles so that I can at least crawl out of our neighborhood. I also bought a pulk that we can pull behind our mountain bikes if needed. While I haven't got to use it on snow yet it worked great for hauling St. Augustine sod to our back yard.
In what part of Texas do you live?

BTW, I know you're not the real Jimmy Buffet because he lives in Florida.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don’t know…. You ever been with a hot-blooded Latin woman? Hot, but no fear. Sometimes I probably benefit, more than lose out not having a gun in the house. Some of those stereotypes you see on TV aren’t far from the truth!
Love me some Latinas...and the Arab wimmens.

Yawza.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I have been planing to move permanently to an almost off the grid small farm .... the time frame hopefully would be no latter than Dec this year

gtb1943

Reaction score
I have a good supply of ammo and water. I have Faraday boxes for electrical equipment, and gas for my generator. I am still trying to figure out if my generator is safe or it I need to shield it from EMP. I have read conflicting articles on that. But If I have to I will insulate my shed with some kind of shielding to protect it.

I am considering stocking some MREs or other non-perishable foods, at least a months worth. I haven't decided yet.

I am not worried about zombies. Or Aliens. If it is aliens we are all doomed anyway and no amount of preparation will save us. I think our most likely doomsday scenario will be a gamma ray burst from the sun. Not big enough to kill us all but big enough to disrupt electronics and stuff. The second most likely scenario is a large space object impacted earth. Either it kills us all on impact or it kills us 2 years later. After that I think its the super volcano in Yellowstone that will be a problem.

Other than that I suppose we have to worry about the little fat man in North Korea trying something stupid, like an EMP burst in the upper atmosphere. I don't think that will happen though. I really don't believe anyone would be crazy enough to use nukes. That is a no win scenario.

I am 70 so this stuff has to happen in the next 10 years or I don't care.
As regards the generator it depends. If it has a chip in it yes. And frankly pretty much everything anymore does/

By the way gasoline goes bad in a year. Even with staballoy it deteriorates and loses octane.

diesel is good; easy to get and can store a long time. Propane is storable for as long as the container lasts, basically.

You cannot live continuously on MRE's. despite what the government claims. Best thing for long term food storage is freeze dried.

Not worried about the crazy in NK; miniaturizing a nuke small enough to go any distance is a big step for a bunch that have yet to get a really good boom going.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So when it’s 3am and you hear someone at your back door have the wife go check it out!
LOL But truthfully, look next to the person you're sleeping with, and by national crime data, they are the ones most likely to shoot you.

Remember a detective saying that and always stuck with me. By arming your house, you are arming the person most likely to murder you.

However, for the impending zombie apocalypse, nothing less than a shotgun will work.

gtb1943

Reaction score
LOL But truthfully, look next to the person you're sleeping with, and by national crime data, they are the ones most likely to shoot you.

Remember a detective saying that and always stuck with me. By arming your house, you are arming the person most likely to murder you.

However, for the impending zombie apocalypse, nothing less than a shotgun will work.
Well I think the stats actually say that the vast majority of murders are committed by someone the victim knew.

As is said again and again, when seconds count the police are minutes away.

To me a double barreled 12 gauge loaded with 00 shot is the best home defense weapon: simple to use and stops pretty much anything and you do not need much practice or even be able to shoot all that well. Remember, odds are you are being woken up in the middle of the night and you are groggy and not all there. Simplicity and wide spread counts. I have a friend absolutely convinced a pump shotgun is the way to go since he claims everyone likely to invade your home hears the action and makes them hesitate. I laugh at that; EVERYONE? By the way groggy and not all there what if you forget to pump the gun before you fire?

Anyone relying on a handgun has to practice weekly to be good enough to hope to do what you need to when it counts. That costs a lot of money anymore and you still have to be able to hit the target groggy and not all there at 2AM in the morning. Which is kind of hard to practice for.

catiii

Reaction score
I'm stuck in the suburbs with nowhere to go and no way to get there. I prep as much as possible but it won't last long. We'll be 18th century. I've got my ham radio in a Faraday cage but I'd need to cannibalize people's car batteries to stay on the air. I'm sure they won't mind since their cars won't be working anyway. My fav show ever was Jericho. Awesome acting. (And of course By Dawn's Early Light, Red Dawn, Tomorrow When the War Began - the Aussie MOVIE version of Red Dawn.)
Most of us are from the duck and cover era and I never thought I'd see these threats being thrown around again. Only one safe island nation (NZ) remains that won't be hit, but it likely WILL be invaded by the Chinese - not a good way to die in a concentrated camp. Those tech giants w bunkers there will be getting a huge surprise.
For dire situations I've got "On the Beach" pills.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I'm stuck in the suburbs with nowhere to go and no way to get there. I prep as much as possible but it won't last long. We'll be 18th century. I've got my ham radio in a Faraday cage but I'd need to cannibalize people's car batteries to stay on the air. I'm sure they won't mind since their cars won't be working anyway. My fav show ever was Jericho. Awesome acting. (And of course By Dawn's Early Light, Red Dawn, Tomorrow When the War Began - the Aussie MOVIE version of Red Dawn.)
Most of us are from the duck and cover era and I never thought I'd see these threats being thrown around again. Only one safe island nation (NZ) remains that won't be hit, but it likely WILL be invaded by the Chinese - not a good way to die in a concentrated camp. Those tech giants w bunkers there will be getting a huge surprise.
Funny thing is I do not remember ever doing the duck and cover drill and we lived within a few miles of a certain target.

The thing with the Chinese is that remember:

all their weapons were built in China....

rags747

Reaction score
On the Beach pills?