CZ POLL Are you happy with the Cowboys drafting CB Israel Mukuamu with the 227th pick?

Are you happy with the Cowboys drafting CB Israel Mukuamu with the 227th pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

waving monkey

Reaction score
big yes but I dont know him. I liked the interview and its the kind of intriguing pick I support. Generally I like the whole odd class. I think its the secret sauce.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like the pick, was interested in him before the draft. I see him matching up with TEs and taking Kearse role in the future. Also, if injuries pop up he can play some CB.

I think his best position is CB, and it'd be cool if he got coached up on his weaknesses especially in this scheme for big CBs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct not a big blow. But couldn't they find someone who's at least played the position before. Out side of the 1 year rental do we even have another FS on the roster at all?
He has played the position, just not much compared to CB. But I think the idea in the 7th round was that any pure, experienced safety left will be a bottom of the barrel prospect, so why not take a shot on a better athlete who might better player once he learns the new position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like the way he broke down and cried when he had to put on a Cowboys hat in his reaction video.

You're one of us now. Just accept it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At this point in the draft is where you see teams taking guys with traits they think may be able to develop.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No team throws 6th rounders at a position and calls it fixed quite like the Dallas Cowboys.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He has played the position, just not much compared to CB. But I think the idea in the 7th round was that any pure, experienced safety left will be a bottom of the barrel prospect, so why not take a shot on a better athlete who might better player once he learns the new position.

They are all bottom of the barrel. My thought is wouldn't a bottom tier safety perform better at being a safety than a bottom tier CB? I just have to assume the cowboys think he has played out of position.

Creeper

Reaction score
Why not just draft a Safety to play Safety? At least they didn't draft another basketball player to play TE.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I voted no, because they should have address this earlier, since they plan on converting him to S. So basically he is just another project at this point.
I will pull for his success of course. It is not that I don't like him as much as using the pick there, I just think it was another gamble type pick.
He runs like a newborn gazelle. Not very fluid and uncoordinated. Kinda weird. Pulling for him but he won’t make it as a cover corner. Maybe FS.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are all bottom of the barrel. My thought is wouldn't a bottom tier safety perform better at being a safety than a bottom tier CB? I just have to assume the cowboys think he has played out of position.
Not necessarily if the CB is a better athlete than the safety choices. In general CBs are better athletes than safeties because they have to be able to run stride for stride with speedy receivers, and make on a dime cuts to shadow those receivers. That's why you occasionally see experienced CB's move to safety, but not the other way around.

Again, I think it was likely taking a shot on potential - someone that may have a higher ceiling even if he has a learning curve to work through - rather than settling for a safety they already feel confident can't make a mark at the NFL level. Safeties generally don't have the same agility.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Another pro prospect from LA. He was rated a top CB before the 2020 injury and pandemic season.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The reason most of these guys are playing safety because they weren't good enough in coverage to play CB in college. Those lower end safeties just don't have the speed & athletic ability needed. There are plenty of size, speed CBs that probably aren't good enough to play CB in the nfl but have a shot as nickel or free safeties. Mukuamu did play 4 games at safety.

CapnB

Reaction score
Considering they are moving him to safety I'm cool with it

Status
Not open for further replies.