CZ POLL Are you happy with the Cowboys drafting CB Reggie Robinson II with the 123rd pick?

Are you happy with the Cowboys drafting CB Reggie Robinson II with the 123rd pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
We did? So Awuzie, Diggs, Lewis and Brown wasn't enough? It was important to use a 4th round pick on a 5th CB?

You're mentally ill. It's not your fault. Seek therapy.
Awuzie and Lewis most likely both are leaving after this year and Xavier Woods most likely leaves too. Id rather have my 2nd and 3rd corner have a year under their belt than rookies so this move was a great move IMO. Always easier to start a rookie safety also so I think next yr we will see one come in the first 2 rounds. Also don't sleep on Donovan Wilson.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yup hes kind of a one year wonder and his coaches said he had trouble with confidence until his final year where he finally had some ball production. If the coaches can keep his confidence up and give him some good coaching his upside is crazy
Thats been an issue in corners in the past. Byron nor Chido play with confidence. Neither do Diggs or Robinson. Turnovers come from confidence. Somebody has tp bring the dog outta these dudes. Only guy in the secondary who played with supreme confidence in college was Lewis and Donovan Wilson. Funny both guys are glued to the bench in Dallas lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It creates competition because as of right now you have no corner signed past 2021 except diggs and now robinson. I personally think this kills chidos chance for a 2nd contract with this team.

Exactly. What may look crowded today will look much different next season.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I was torn between this kid and l'jarius sneed who the chiefs drafted after this pick. This kid has better upside and played against better talent. But the other kid projects better as a FS. i probably go Sneed who can probably win the FS job from x woods. But i cant complain that they addressed the secondary. I still liked the pick
I felt if they missed out on a higher rated second corner that Sneed was their fall back plan. I think both of them have the traits. What they develop into will depend on the coaching & their work ethic. When you get to a certain point in the draft, that's about all you are really looking for.

From the team comments, it feels like they are planning to give one of the current corners some work at safety. I know there has been talk about Chido but do you think one of the lesser known guys is viewed as a hybrid?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I felt if they missed out on a higher rated second corner that Sneed was their fall back plan. I think both of them have the traits. What they develop into will depend on the coaching & their work ethic. When you get to a certain point in the draft, that's about all you are really looking for.

From the team comments, it feels like they are planning to give one of the current corners some work at safety. I know there has been talk about Chido but do you think one of the lesser known guys is viewed as a hybrid?
Not really I think Sneed could move to FS because he actually played the position and is really good when his back isn't to the ball. Robinson should not move from corner. Chido at this point won't receive a 2nd contract from this team if I was him I would make the move. He just doesn't have "it" at the corner spot. Struggles with the ball in the air and lacks instincts at corner. Never had ball production even at colorado.

kskboys

Reaction score
Looks like a career STer to me.

Guess we need ST's help. Don't know who else was available, but man, this has all the appearances of our last few years of taking stiff athletes in the mid/late rounds. Don't really see how he makes the team, but maybe as a STer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Robinson has been a staple in the Tulsa secondary since his redshirt freshman season in 2016, when he started seven of 13 games and recorded 37 tackles and seven pass breakups. He started 11 of 12 games in 2017, leading the team with nine pass breakups (38 total tackles, 2.5 for loss). An injury disrupted Robinson's junior year, however, as he played eight games (19 tackles, five pass breakups, four starts). Robinson bounced back for his senior campaign, garnering first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors after leading his squad with four interceptions and 13 pass breakups. He also posted 38 tackles, one for loss, and two fumble recoveries. The son of a former Grambling State football player also blocked a kick in each of his four seasons.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 4

Overview
The size, length and ball production offer up hope, but Robinson's lack of speed and athletic traits could prevent him from maintaining playmaking positioning as a pro. He has average instincts, but his length can be a disruptive factor in close quarters. If he can crank up his run-support intensity, he might get looks as a zone corner or a safety.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Robinson has been a staple in the Tulsa secondary since his redshirt freshman season in 2016, when he started seven of 13 games and recorded 37 tackles and seven pass breakups. He started 11 of 12 games in 2017, leading the team with nine pass breakups (38 total tackles, 2.5 for loss). An injury disrupted Robinson's junior year, however, as he played eight games (19 tackles, five pass breakups, four starts). Robinson bounced back for his senior campaign, garnering first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors after leading his squad with four interceptions and 13 pass breakups. He also posted 38 tackles, one for loss, and two fumble recoveries. The son of a former Grambling State football player also blocked a kick in each of his four seasons.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 4

Overview
The size, length and ball production offer up hope, but Robinson's lack of speed and athletic traits could prevent him from maintaining playmaking positioning as a pro. He has average instincts, but his length can be a disruptive factor in close quarters. If he can crank up his run-support intensity, he might get looks as a zone corner or a safety.
NFL.com draft guys are bums. His athleticism is crazy. Athletically his score was through the roof.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to ask. What game or video can someone can direct me to that shows Reggie Robinson doing something that deserves high praise? I don't see much.

Robinson's press coverage isn't good especially considering his size, strength n speed. Dude gets beat on simple go routes, in which, he fails to squeeze the WR to the sidelines. Long story short, this is an Al Harris project.

I see Robinson as purely a STs player (Gunner) as his only hope of making the team. He doesn't hustle to the ball or a tackling opportunity fast enough for me to believe he'll be a solid Gunner...not like CJ Goodwin.

More questions than answers on this player for me.

Name the games that he "gets beat on simple go routes". I would like to review those. I watched all of his snaps in 4 games and I saw 1 game with plays like that.

That 1st catch on the sideline by Memphis was not his man. He came off his man to help but it was not his man.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
what I find interesting is how quick people are to point out flaws in college kids coming to the NFL. Every college player has some flaws and things they need to work on to make it at the NFL level. At the draft goes on with mid round and later picks the flaws tend to be greater but as we all know many players overcome these perceived flaws which is why we see players who were late rd or not even picked in the draft make it in the NFL. Is Robinson a sure thing? No, he is young man who is about to get a great opportunity to make it in the NFL and I wish him the best of luck.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to ask. What game or video can someone can direct me to that shows Reggie Robinson doing something that deserves high praise? I don't see much.

Robinson's press coverage isn't good especially considering his size, strength n speed. Dude gets beat on simple go routes, in which, he fails to squeeze the WR to the sidelines. Long story short, this is an Al Harris project.

I see Robinson as purely a STs player (Gunner) as his only hope of making the team. He doesn't hustle to the ball or a tackling opportunity fast enough for me to believe he'll be a solid Gunner...not like CJ Goodwin.

More questions than answers on this player for me.

Ok, I found 2 plays that fit that description, both vs Memphis.

He fell down on 1 play. Not good but not really very meaningful in evaluating the player.

He did give up a catch on a go route. He had his hands on the ball but didn't come down with it. Not terrible coverage. All CBs give up some catches.

kskboys

Reaction score
what I find interesting is how quick people are to point out flaws in college kids coming to the NFL. Every college player has some flaws and things they need to work on to make it at the NFL level. At the draft goes on with mid round and later picks the flaws tend to be greater but as we all know many players overcome these perceived flaws which is why we see players who were late rd or not even picked in the draft make it in the NFL. Is Robinson a sure thing? No, he is young man who is about to get a great opportunity to make it in the NFL and I wish him the best of luck.
It's common for people on this site to discuss the skillsets of drafted players. Not sure why you'd have a problem w/ it, that's what fan sites are for.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched Memphis, SMU, Oklahoma St. and UCF. I don't recall saying easy, but I will say he was in good position on most go routes, but he could do better at catch point.

People say he's physical but a WR from Memphis bullied him of the line, in press, and caught a deep ball. Also, he didn't seem to anxious to get involved in the run game. Lastly, WRs were blocking him down field and he wasn't getting off those blocks.

I must say from what I saw, I have to trust All Harris.

With regards to "the Memphis WR bullied him off the line in press" did that happen other than the 1 play where he fell down?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's common for people on this site to discuss the skillsets of drafted players. Not sure why you'd have a problem w/ it, that's what fan sites are for.

No problem with it, just stating all players have certain things they need to improve on and just because Cowboys take one player over someone you may have wanted does not make it a bad pick. Robinson went in the area he was projected to be picked in.

Cowboys0988

Reaction score
Damn, I thought 97/98% Yes votes for CeeDee was historic, 93% agreement on a 4th round pick is even more impressive... This draft was amazing. Good Riddance Garrett! You Freckled Ginger!!

Mr_437

Reaction score
With regards to "the Memphis WR bullied him off the line in press" did that happen other than the 1 play where he fell down?
The WR grabbed him and threw him... that's why he fell.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Ok, I found 2 plays that fit that description, both vs Memphis.

He fell down on 1 play. Not good but not really very meaningful in evaluating the player.

He did give up a catch on a go route. He had his hands on the ball but didn't come down with it. Not terrible coverage. All CBs give up some catches.
I agree his in position on most of those deep balls but he needs to finish. Ppl drag Chido, but he's in position a lot but doesn't finish at catch point. I think RR needs good coaching that could possibly help him finish those plays.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
His NFL draft grade was 6.0, which per their rating shows him as a career backup/special teams player.

Now he did have the injury that slowed him some, and the NFL draft grades aren't foolproof, there's been many low rated players that overachieved, but at this point we only have his college play to go on, and even at that he played for TULSA, hardly a football powerhouse, and the only teams they beat last year were Wyoming, San Jose State, UCF and East Carolina, again hardly big time college teams. A bit easier to "shine" when you play lower level competition, which he will seldom face in the NFL.

I remember more than a couple of folks who raved about our own Kellen Moore, he of the FIFTY AND THREE college record, but what did he turn into? Yep, career backup, who couldn't beat out Dan Orlovsky for the no. 2 spot in Detroit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have him, as noted players often can and do overachieve, and like anybody I'll root for him to be successful and give him every opportunity to prove me wrong.

He's a 4th rounder for a reason, let's hope everybody but Dallas was wrong about him...

Carter

Reaction score
I think hes someone they might convert to Safety if he doesnt pan out on CB. He has the traits to play Safety in my opinion.

Might also become a very nice Gunner on ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.