Signed by Cowboys Armstrong signed. 2yrs 13mil

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He's a good backup (at least he was last year) who isn't a total liability as a starter. I do not consider him a quality starter, but it doesn't matter what I think. He's the seat filler at right end.
Armstrong started more games then Gregory last season because he can set the edge. The Cowboys are hoping that Armstrong can develop into a Preston Smith type. You need players like him on the roster.

Brax

Reaction score
He's been here 4 years. He's given you 7.5 sacks and 6 TFLs. He's a bum, to be exact.

What maybe confused you is the other two guys, who you think are studs, played like JAGs.
You are correct some fans don't understand the sad truth Jerry pays jags then sells how great they are.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I like Armstrong and am fine with signing him. He plays the run and gets a little bit of rotational pressure. But I'm really hoping this contract is for more like $3-4M per year when we see the details. This is exactly the problem with our team. He is no better than all of the guys we sign every year from other teams for a couple million per. But since he is our own mediocre guy and likely a guy that someone on the team (Quinn, McCarthy, position coaches, Jerry) likes we give him more than anyone else would have. When you add up the contracts for a few guys like Armstrong you could instead get a stud free agent that could make a difference plus a couple of draft pick, bottom of roster guys that aren't much worse than those guys. Stars win NFL games nowadays, not a bunch of JAGs.

Hopefully this means they are signing Z'aDarious Smith and need an early down edge guy who can play the run and a guy to rotate in to keep Tank and Smith fresh

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
I like Armstrong and am fine with signing him. He plays the run and gets a little bit of rotational pressure. But I'm really hoping this contract is for more like $3-4M per year when we see the details. This is exactly the problem with our team. He is no better than all of the guys we sign every year from other teams for a couple million per. But since he is our own mediocre guy and likely a guy that someone on the team (Quinn, McCarthy, position coaches, Jerry) likes we give him more than anyone else would have. When you add up the contracts for a few guys like Armstrong you could instead get a stud free agent that could make a difference plus a couple of draft pick, bottom of roster guys that aren't much worse than those guys. Stars win NFL games nowadays, not a bunch of JAGs.

Hopefully this means they are signing Z'aDarious Smith and need an early down edge guy who can play the run and a guy to rotate in to keep Tank and Smith fresh

That's been my beef for a long time. They rather spend a bunch on several mediocre deals than secure one or two studs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He's been here 4 years. He's given you 7.5 sacks and 6 TFLs. He's a bum, to be exact.

What maybe confused you is the other two guys, who you think are studs, played like JAGs.

You used the same criteria when bemoaning Gregory....what has years got to do with anything? The counter to your point is that Armstrong had 3 years and produced 3.5 sacks (in 900 snaps). Then after one year, under Quinn, he manages 5 in 500 snaps. He's 24 year old who's improved under this DC, the contract maybe slightly high, but it's tantamount to a show me contract ....with some expectation.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

So you're arguing over a couple of million? I bet we were bringing him back in any case. We'd all love stars at every position, but we have so many holes to fill. Personally I think if need be we go with a pass rush of Micah, Tank, Armstrong, Golston, high draft pick or serviceable FA.

For me the greater concern is an O-line that has Steele as the only RT, no LG (unless you think McGovern standing there as a speed dump counts), and no cover for Tyron WHEN he gets injured......oh and we also could do with re-signing Kearse and improve the WR Corp.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's been my beef for a long time. They rather spend a bunch on several mediocre deals than secure one or two studs.

Thats because most years we've havent even got enough CAP space to fill our roster with JAGS, let alone difference makers.....hence the need to restructure bad contracts just to get 52 players.

I've no real argument against your point, but we start at a point that we wipe the CAP deficit first, that probably wont really happen until 2024.

CWR

Reaction score
Thats because most years we've havent even got enough CAP space to fill our roster with JAGS, let alone difference makers.....hence the need to restructure bad contracts just to get 52 players.

I've no real argument against your point, but we start at a point that we wipe the CAP deficit first, that probably wont really happen until 2024.

Thing is the cap is going to sky rocket. We just need to push the money a bit forward. To be clear I'm not advocating a credit card approach as a whole. You have to be selective with who you chose to restructure and allow for future signing with guys like Parsons and Diggs. I believe it can be done though.

I've seen too much wizardry from Philly, LA ect. Some teams always appear to be on the brink of cap destruction after huge FA hauls. Yet we continue to see them maneuver out of it, without the bottom falling out.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I don't see how there's any funny business involved with a two year deal. He either plays both years and collects the full 13.5 or he is cut after this one.

If too much of it was a cash bonus and they cut him in a year, there will be dead money involved.

If he was slightly better I would mind so much.

Don't want to hear about sack numbers. There's more to playing that position and he looks like he is playing in slow motion most of the time.

I saw every snap in 2021 and can't recall a single one of his sacks.

I knew this guy would be overpaid the second I heard Jerry mention his name on the radio during the Nolan debacle.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
IMHO this is a contract that will most likely be good value for the team and has the possibility of being excellent value. I support this signing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
IMHO this is a contract that will most likely be good value for the team and has the possibility of being excellent value. I support this signing.
That could happen yes, although it would have to include your typical huge step forward in year five for him to not be overpaid.

The biggest issue I have is that this clearly means the plan to fix the Gregory mess is to force a DE pick early.

Jarntt

Reaction score
So you're arguing over a couple of million? I bet we were bringing him back in any case. We'd all love stars at every position, but we have so many holes to fill. Personally I think if need be we go with a pass rush of Micah, Tank, Armstrong, Golston, high draft pick or serviceable FA.

For me the greater concern is an O-line that has Steele as the only RT, no LG (unless you think McGovern standing there as a speed dump counts), and no cover for Tyron WHEN he gets injured......oh and we also could do with re-signing Kearse and improve the WR Corp.
Seriously? Heck yeah I'm arguing over a couple million per year in a cap world and the couple million you reference is doubling his salary.

And who are our LBs that will allow Parsons to do this on a regular basis right now? That pass rush is crap when Parsons needs to play LB because we have no one else to play there like in the playoff game. Tank is average against the pass for a nickel DE and the others are way less than average.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don't see how there's any funny business involved with a two year deal. He either plays both years and collects the full 13.5 or he is cut after this one.

If too much of it was a cash bonus and they cut him in a year, there will be dead money involved.

If he was slightly better I would mind so much.

Don't want to hear about sack numbers. There's more to playing that position and he looks like he is playing in slow motion most of the time.

I saw every snap in 2021 and can't recall a single one of his sacks.

I knew this guy would be overpaid the second I heard Jerry mention his name on the radio during the Nolan debacle.
No matter the term there can be "funny business" but yes, not as much usually. It could be incentive laden. So maybe he gets $1m for making the Pro Bowl (like that's happening) or for each game he plays or maybe he gets a $2M roster bonus if we don't cut him plus a much higher salary in year 2 which allows the team to get out on like a one year $4M deal or something

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you actually looked at his number his play snap %, sacks, and pressures nearly identicale to Gregorys.

Im not wanting or promoting DA being starter but really RG while a small % better, is being way overrated here. hoe we get a FA DE or Draft one at 24 for our future DE etc but DA isnt as bad signing as one thinks. Go look at their 2021 numbers nearly identical.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don't try to find the logic behind it.

You may think, hey....why not take that money and add it to a contract for a real DE like Za'Darius Smith and then just find a backup on Day 3 of the draft to replace a complete schlub like Armstrong but you clearly don't understand team building.

If you actually looked at his numbers his play snap %, sacks, and pressures nearly identical to Gregorys.

I'm not wanting or promoting DA being a FT starter but really RG while a small % better, is being way overrated here. hoe we get a FA DE or Draft one at 24 for our future DE etc but DA isnt as bad signing as one thinks. Go look at their 2021 numbers nearly identical.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Slop?

Lol.

2 more sacks than DLAW.

1 less than Gregory.
yup

If you actually looked at his number his play snap %, sacks, and pressures nearly identical to Gregorys.

I'm not wanting or promoting DA being starter but really RG while a small % better, is being way overrated here. hoe we get a FA DE or Draft one at 24 for our future DE etc but DA isnt as bad signing as one thinks. Go look at their 2021 numbers nearly identical.

Reactions: Ken

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good with the years, but a bit surprised he got that much.
yup

If you actually looked at his number his play snap %, sacks, and pressures nearly identical to Gregorys.

I'm not wanting or promoting DA being starter but really RG while a small % better, is being way overrated here. hoe we get a FA DE or Draft one at 24 for our future DE etc but DA isnt as bad signing as one thinks. Go look at their 2021 numbers nearly identical.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If you actually looked at his numbers his play snap %, sacks, and pressures nearly identical to Gregorys.

I'm not wanting or promoting DA being a FT starter but really RG while a small % better, is being way overrated here. hoe we get a FA DE or Draft one at 24 for our future DE etc but DA isnt as bad signing as one thinks. Go look at their 2021 numbers nearly identical.
What is frightening is the Cowboys were going to guarantee 28 million to Gregory.:facepalm:

blueblood70

Reaction score
What is frightening is the Cowboys were going to guarantee 28 million to Gregory.:facepalm:
like i said i realize Gregory's talented and not promoting DA for a starter role but less than half of Gregory's seems fair for guys ahwo has near identical production.

.however fans in here like to question and mock everything Jones does so its all emotional for then. Business wise this is depth and makes the cowboys less desperate to reach for Taco at 24 needing a DE badly.. so continue to sift through FA and make top 2 rounds to either find a DE of the future OR have MP play more snaps at DE and find a LB in the first two rounds plus one in FA..ther are many options left 6months before game 1..lol

hey fans quit playing gm , you ate not one that is for sure..