Arrggg Captain Morgan or What Liquor do you like

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ever since I left the military I have been pretty much alcohol free. Not because I had to, I did not have nor do have a problem, just did not feel like going out to bars and so on.

However I had a renewed interest in Alcohol when I was on vacation in St. Thomas. There was a great little bar on the beach there, Iggie's Beach Bar, and they had some great drinks that centered around Rum.

Down there they mostly used Cruzan Rum as it was made on the neighboring island of St. Croix.

Since I have came back I went through a period of time where I missed the drink.

I had a bottle of the spiced rum that I had won. The resort we were at has a weekly Rum Dive tournament where they throw bottles of rum in the bay and the guests go out and dive for them.

I finished that bottle off and wanted some more.

Went to the local liquor store (in our town the Rite Aid) and they did not have any spiced or aged rum from Cruzan. I knew I did NOT want any Bicardi rum as I had tried that years ago and just felt it had an odd taste...too much of a weird chemical taste.

So started the great friendship with Captain Morgan spiced rum. Each day after work I mix me up a drink that winds up being about a liter with just a few shots of CM in it. Not enough to get me drunk or even buzzed but just enough to taste good and calm my nerves a little.

Actually helps me get to sleep a tad faster than normal although the trade off is the old man bladder I am getting that makes me have to make late night bathroom runs.

Either way. We have had threads about what beers people like. How about a thread here for what Liquors or Wines people like.

On a side note...has anyone tried Captain Morgan Black?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I like spiced rum too. Though my drink of choice for liquor is scotch.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a big rum drinker (scotch, for me), but I do have a couple parties a year that figure CM Black prominently. I'll drink it rocks, actually, and it's really tasty. Kicks like a mule, though, since it's almost 100-proof. It's good stuff.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Right now, I'm drinking Knob Creek and I like it a lot. I also like an average scotch like a 15 yr Glenfiddich.

If any of you want to try a really good liqueur, I know it isn't as manly, but this one is good -- 'Faretti Biscotti Famosi'. It tastes very similar to a biscotti cookie with a little more anise. It goes good with just about anything. It can be mixed with plenty too. Only about $23 a bottle I think.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4813142 said:
Right now, I'm drinking Knob Creek and I like it a lot. I also like an average scotch like a 15 yr Glenfiddich.

If any of you want to try a really good liqueur, I know it isn't as manly, but this one is good -- 'Faretti Biscotti Famosi'. It tastes very similar to a biscotti cookie with a little more anise. It goes good with just about anything. It can be mixed with plenty too. Only about $23 a bottle I think.

Knob Creek is really good... and priced nicely for small batch bourbon...

Rum: Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
Vodka: Tito's
Scotch: Laphroaig
Bourbon: Maker's Mark

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
On the nose, Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum is full of vanilla, buttercream and molasses, and is surprisingly light on the nose considering its higher proof. The spice notes are mostly muted here, as the sweeter elements really come through. The entry starts off sweet, with spice notes building toward the mid-palate. The sweetness quickly fades as cloves, cinnamon and dry oak trump the vanilla. It finishes very smooth, coaxing out the vanilla from hiding, plus some more spices and a slight bitterness, presumably from the cassia bark. It remains easy drinking from start to finish, with enough heat to remind you you’re drinking 94.6 proof rum, but never enough to overwhelm the flavors. And the interplay between sweet and spice is balanced without being overdone.

With more nuanced flavors and a higher proof, Captain Morgan Black is clearly positioning itself as a sipping rum, or one to be used in legitimate cocktails. Whether whiskey drinkers will find this rum a suitable substitute in Old Fashioneds is yet to be seen. But with a more mature flavor and better packaging, Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum is certainly increasing its brand cache outside of the frat houses.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
I'm not too big on sweet drinks but for occasionally. Regular alcoholic binges consist of tonic, some cubes of lime and...

Bombay-Sapphire-Gin-Bottle.jpg

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The drunkest I've ever been was drinking Captain Mo and Five Alive while floating on a tube down the Frio River. I swore off the Captain the next day and haven't touched it again. I'm primarily a single malt scotch drinker and Singletons is my brand. It's not a cheap scotch, but it's also not one of the $80.00 a bottle brands. I like vodka and cranberry juice too on hot days.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;4813426 said:
I'm not too big on sweet drinks but for occasionally. Regular alcoholic binges consist of tonic, some cubes of lime and...

Bombay-Sapphire-Gin-Bottle.jpg

I like Bombay Sapphire, but there is a better one I highly recommend you try if you like Sapphire. Tanqueray Ten. Easily the best Gin on the market.

Now, I usually would drink Sapphire with sprite and lime. I've never just used tonic before.

Most people today drink Vodka Martinis. It's a shame, as Ten Martinis are the best.

Tanqueray-No10-lg.jpg

Hoov

Reaction score
As far as the Capt Morgan Rum, we just had our annual halloween party this past saturday and one of the signature drinks was captain morgan (i think it was the tattoo capt morgan) mixed with prosecca and blood orange juice. Im not a big liquer drinker but this drink was great so if you like the capt morgan rum and you can get some blood orange juice its worth a try.

I prefer to drink wine - usually reds and i like the dry wines - not the sweet wines. I found a wine called Blue Franc made by shooting star at a restaurant - definitely my favorite. Have to special order it at the wine and spirit store but they dont charge me anything extra - just have to buy it by the case or half case. I recently tried a french wine that i really liked - a cotes du rhone (turns out french wines are named by the region and not the grape). And i like the other normal reds - cabernets, pinot noirs, chianti for italian wines.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;4812998 said:
Down there they mostly used Cruzan Rum as it was made on the neighboring island of St. Croix.

Capt Morgan is made in St. Croix now as well. I've been down to St. Croix 6 times in the last 2 years and when I was there in June I took a tour of the plant. It was pretty interesting.

I learned to drink on rum. That's why I can't stand it (too many times I learned the hard way that I drank too much). Tequila is my drink of choice, and it doesn't have to be top line either. :)

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Rum : I typically avoid. However Capt would be my choice with coke or sprite. Cruzan mojitos are pretty good also.

Vodka : Ketel One over ice.

Gin : Maggellan and tonic with lime. You will forget what 10 and Sapphire are.

But I primarily drink bourbon, and generally Knob Creek. I do have some Basil Haydens and Bookers at times also.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
MacAllan 18 year, if and when I do drink. More likely though is a going to be a chunky monkey red wine.

romomania

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4812998 said:
Ever since I left the military I have been pretty much alcohol free. Not because I had to, I did not have nor do have a problem, just did not feel like going out to bars and so on.

However I had a renewed interest in Alcohol when I was on vacation in St. Thomas. There was a great little bar on the beach there, Iggie's Beach Bar, and they had some great drinks that centered around Rum.

Since I have came back I went through a period of time where I missed the drink.

I had a bottle of the spiced rum that I had won. The resort we were at has a weekly Rum Dive tournament where they throw bottles of rum in the bay and the guests go out and dive for them.

I finished that bottle off and wanted some more.

Went to the local liquor store (in our town the Rite Aid) and they did not have any spiced or aged rum from Cruzan. I knew I did NOT want any Bicardi rum as I had tried that years ago and just felt it had an odd taste...too much of a weird chemical taste.

So started the great friendship with Captain Morgan spiced rum. Each day after work I mix me up a drink that winds up being about a liter with just a few shots of CM in it. Not enough to get me drunk or even buzzed but just enough to taste good and calm my nerves a little.

Actually helps me get to sleep a tad faster than normal although the trade off is the old man bladder I am getting that makes me have to make late night bathroom runs.

Either way. We have had threads about what beers people like. How about a thread here for what Liquors or Wines people like.

On a side note...has anyone tried Captain Morgan Black?

whats the drink you mix it with? Asking because I am all about trying good mixed drink recipe's