Arrogance or Ignorance?

Zordon

Reaction score
I think they let the success of the oline go to their heads, and there's a feeling around valley ranch that unit can cover up other problems.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
There are not 32 human beings in the entire world that can play professional quarterback. Name one available QB they could have had that has demonstrated that he could be doing the job. Not one that *you* think could be doing the job, but one who has shown himself as a capable starter in the NFL, this season. Every team has to make compromises with their roster and hope for the best. They thought Weeden after a year in the system had shown enough improvement to keep him around. What they couldn't project from pre-season games and practices is the absolute unwillingness to throw the ball downfield for fear of mistakes.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Have they really? 1 winning season in the last 5 years doesn't really exude success.

Are you implying that the 12-4 anomaly is somehow not really what equates to a moral victory season?

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
-They ignored the backup QB position, as if last years edition wasn't enough of a showcase.
-They ignored KR/PR, signing a rookie free agent, & anointing him.... than not playing him.
-They tried to save money at the running back position, as well as a draft pick. Although there was solid talent on the roster, all had noticeable warts, and this wasn't accounted for.

Front office has gotten better, but still has long way to go.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
I cannot blame Jerry and Stephen. JG, Linehan, and Wade Wilson need to fully take this responsibility. JG and Wilson are ex-Pro QBs, they should have noticed that our backups stink. This is Weeden's 2nd Year so he could not stay under the radar for 2 years. Furthermore, Jerry will do whatever it takes to win. If JG did not like the QB backups, I am sure Jerry would have found another option. A Snake Oil Salesman is not going to fool Jerry so a "potential" NFL QB should not fool JG, Linehan and Wade. They should be able to evaluate QBs better than any other position on the team due to their background and experience.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I think Jameil Showers athleticism could have gotten us at least one win

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
So, who?

Everybody hates who we have, but nobody can name the guy we should have. Hint, they don't exist.
They don't exist? Are you serious? Backup QBs win games all across the NFL. How many QBs has Chip Kelly won with? Heck Hassleback won games with the same players Andrew Luck can't bust a grape with. Fitzpatrick, Kirk Cousins, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, Mike Vick, Landry Jones....none of these are great players...but they have at least won games! No one knew more about Randle than the Dallas Cowboys....so we did not anoint him with our eyes closed shut. He was a disaster BEFORE Murray....he was a disaster AFTER Murray. This is not Jerry or Jasons first rodeo....at some point...it is about results. And I did not think we would go 5-2....but 0-5 is unacceptable...and 0-7 would set this franchise back the last days of Wade Phillips. When you don't have the scheme or personnel to get a 1st down without Romo.....EVERYTHING needs to be called into question. Again, when you cannot develop or choose a backup QB that can win games....that says more about the organization as opposed to the players. Because I know for a fact a LOT of these backup QBs around the NFL this fanbase would not even want (which is why you said they don't exist).....yet these same "sucky" players have found a way to win a game/games!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It was boneheaded mismanagement, plain and simple. They chose to risk being forced to depend on a terrible backup QB, just to get by on the cheap. It screwed the team out of an opportunity to dominate their division in the regular season. As it now stands, they would be extremely fortunate just to overcome such a pathetic miscue.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
There are not 32 human beings in the entire world that can play professional quarterback. Name one available QB they could have had that has demonstrated that he could be doing the job. Not one that *you* think could be doing the job, but one who has shown himself as a capable starter in the NFL, this season. Every team has to make compromises with their roster and hope for the best. They thought Weeden after a year in the system had shown enough improvement to keep him around. What they couldn't project from pre-season games and practices is the absolute unwillingness to throw the ball downfield for fear of mistakes.

Ryan Fitzpatrick. We have recent examples from the Dallas Cowboys, as well. Kyle Orton and John Kitna scored TDs.

erod

Reaction score
They don't exist? Are you serious? Backup QBs win games all across the NFL. How many QBs has Chip Kelly won with? Heck Hassleback won games with the same players Andrew Luck can't bust a grape with. Fitzpatrick, Kirk Cousins, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, Mike Vick, Landry Jones....none of these are great players...but they have at least won games! No one knew more about Randle than the Dallas Cowboys....so we did not anoint him with our eyes closed shut. He was a disaster BEFORE Murray....he was a disaster AFTER Murray. This is not Jerry or Jasons first rodeo....at some point...it is about results. And I did not think we would go 5-2....but 0-5 is unacceptable...and 0-7 would set this franchise back the last days of Wade Phillips. When you don't have the scheme or personnel to get a 1st down without Romo.....EVERYTHING needs to be called into question. Again, when you cannot develop or choose a backup QB that can win games....that says more about the organization as opposed to the players. Because I know for a fact a LOT of these backup QBs around the NFL this fanbase would not even want (which is why you said they don't exist).....yet these same "sucky" players have found a way to win a game/games!

Hasselback wouldn't win a single game against the quarterbacks Dallas has played against without Romo. He wins games against OTHER backup quarterbacks. Same for the rest of them.

Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson.

The guys you listed would be lucky to win a single game against that list of QBs and teams.

erod

Reaction score
I said it over a month ago, Fitzpatrick got the Jets to 4-1 and he was to be had. So there's 1.

Against Cousins, McCown, Tannehill, and an awful Colts team.

Fitzpatrick would be 0-5 against the teams Dallas has played without Romo.

erod

Reaction score
We have had 2 games where we haven't scored a TD. Ryan Fitzpatrick has won games in this league. He was available.

I would have been fine with him here. I'm just saying that I never see him beat a good quarterback.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the season is in demise yet. I also don't think it was arrogance or ignorance. I think we made some calculated bets this season, and we crapped out.

Weeden was not as bad as people want to characterize him. We were playing some not very good football around him in some of those winnable games. Especially with the gap control v. ATL. The real problem is that we are one of several NFL teams who does not have a quality backup QB. You get quality backups by spending high picks and developing them, or by signing veterans with some tread left when they become available. To get a vet, he has to be good enough to win you games when Romo goes down, but not good enough to win a starting job that pays a lot better on a QB-starved team like the Texans or the Jets. Good luck with that, basically. If there were a guy out there we were linked to or who was reportedly interested in the job here we passed on, that would be one thing, but from what I've seen, we were looking at a universe of options that included a bunch of Matt Cassels and Dustin Vaughans. Not a lot to choose from.

At RB...why are people upset about our running game? We're finally blocking for them better, and they've been relatively productive anyway. With very little in the way of passing game support to back them up. Murray's been a bust of a FA signing so far for PHI. He was old for his position, and wanted too much money. And was willing to go to a division rival for less than he'd have gotten elsewhere. Screw Demarco Murray. Are people just upset that this is not 2014? Or do they really think we should have compounded the problem by overpaying for a vet we deemed a poor value for an extension?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Try injuries to Tony AND Dez, as well as a few others.

While I will acknowledge the impact injuries have had on this team and the results in the couple of games following the Eagles game. However, given the fact that for the past three weeks we have been pretty healthy barring Romo and Dez (up until last week) and the uneven performance in the first two games, we really should be asking ourselves how good is this team and did we overvalue them based on last year results and offseason transactions. If this team was as good as we thought they were, they should have won at least two of the last five games even with the injuries, because that is what good teams do, they find ways to win. I think the next couple of weeks will be very telling on where this team stands. When you consider that we are only missing Romo and Scandrick, If this team was as good as we claimed they were in the offseason, they should be able to beat the Eagles and the Bucs, two below average teams. I mean think about this, this is where we thought we were compared to where we are:

• Coaching staff - maintained continuity expected to grow off of last years miraculous performance. Garrett might finally live up to his genius status. Marinelli and Linehan made up the basis of a capable coaching staff that finally knew how to best utilize their players and put them in position to succeed. Looking at the last 5 games this view of the coaches is questionable at best.

• QB - Losing your top 5 QB would devastate any NFL team, but as much talent this team supposedly had, I thought we could at least win 3 out of 5 even with our Div II quality backup QBs.

• OL - was being discussed as possibly becoming the greatest line of all time, and at least a top 5 OL right now. While this line is playing good, it is nowhere near the level of play from last year.

• RB - OK, this one is not the disaster that everyone thought it would be. We are currently ranked 6th in Yds/Gm, tied for 6th in Yds/Att, tied for 12th in rushing TDS (2 removed from being in 5th place). Despite the above average performance from our RBBC this is still a significant drop from last year and the eye test will tell you that it is not good enough to take pressure off of the passing game.

• WR - Dez getting hurt was devastating and it also showed that TW is at best a number 2 WR and Beasley is only as good as the double teams the WR and TE command. and we have absolutely no one after that (although I hope Brice can offer more to the WR corp.)

• TE/FB Witten is still Witten leads the team in catches and yds. Outside of that, we have nothing. Everyone had high hopes for Escobar yet this coaching staff still can't figure out how to get him involved in the game plan so far he has been target 8 times for 4 catches and 1 TD. Clutts is a waste of a roster spot.

• DL - Many thought this was the biggest improvement on the team and may very well be, Hardy is what everyone expected, Gregory is showing promise once he is fully healthy outside of that I think this group is underperforming. Hayden despite the fact the coaches love him even though he looks like he is overpowered on almost every play. Given the promise of T Crawford and D Lawrence, it is bit disappointing that through 7 games Hayden, Lawrence and Crawford only have combined for only 54 tackles (8/gm) and 3 sacks. 7

• LB - This was supposed to be the biggest strength of the team :eek:. We all anxiously anticipated seeing Lee and RoMac on the field together with Hitchens cleaning up anything the two of them missed. Once we got Ro Mac back, I think it is safe to say we have been a little underwhelmed by results. Maybe they put it together, but right now they look nothing above average.

• CB - This one was a little tricky Losing Scandrick hurt and not a lot of high expectations with Carr and Claiborne....funny enough they are disappointing are expectations, again average play which results in underperformance given their salary/draft pedigree. The only hope we had was that the DL pressure would generate opportunities....unfortunately this team has sucked at capitalizing on their opportunities I have never seen a team miss out on so many potential INTs and fumbles. Makes you wonder if the coaching staff really did place an emphasis on getting turnovers in training camp or did the players just go through the motions.

• ST - outside of Baily we knew this had the potential to be bad....unfortunately, the special teams did not disappoint.
The bottom line is despite all of the injuries, this team has underperformed against all of our expectations in every facet of the team except RB (which we really didn't expect much anyway). That can only mean that this coaching staff and the roster were not as good as everyone thought they were. If they were, we would be talking about the noise we are gonna make in the playoffs as opposed to whether we should tank the season if Romo loses more than one game when he comes back.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I wonder if they will learn from us. Are they going to upgrade the backup QB position next year or say it will never happen again?

Aven8

Reaction score
Against Cousins, McCown, Tannehill, and an awful Colts team.

Fitzpatrick would be 0-5 against the teams Dallas has played without Romo.

You're nuts. We would have won all of them except NE. Give me a break......