ARTICLE: Eagles viewed as a team ripe for rebounding

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I think a case could easily be made for every team in the east...

I think the NYG if Eli comes around might be the best...but it won't be by much...

The Commanders did a wonderful job in FA (not necessarily cap friendly) they got what they needed...

The Eagles are gonna be right in the thick of things and depending upon there WR play could again rule the east

The Cowboys if they have fixed their o-line look to be the deepest and most dynamic team in the east...

A "fan"tastic season could be waiting

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix360
no i didnt forget it, i couldnt find it, i still half asleep :D

It's still a 15 yard penalty.

...with all the new NFL penalties coming out this year ...he may need a swift kickoff!:rolleyes:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I have to admit, I like your sig-pic!

PT, who would you like you guys to get in the draft ?

ravidubey

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
It's always been the McNabb and Westbrook show on offense. The difference is they had a good defense. The D slipped last year. Still decent, but it wasn't as consistent nor dominating as I was used to seeing.

The effects of age and losing Corey Simon. IMO they are a big DT away from regaining that dominance. They've done fine in the past with average linebacking, trusting Simon to anchor the DL with Jim Johnson's blitz packages applying pressure. Kearse thus far has not been the guy they paid for, but he's been solid.

Add Howard and Philly becomes a much better pass-rushing team because both ends can bring it. Howard is solid against the run, too.

Philly needs a sure thing at RB, though, so I look for them to draft one in the 1st round unless a stud DT falls to them. Bunkley is not the complement to Patterson that Ngata would be, but they might take him if he falls, DeAngelo Williams ( :eek: ), or Lendal White (please).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I'm still more afraid of the Eagles than I am the Giants or the Commanders. That is a proud team that will get back healthy the best QB in the division, added a bookend DE to Jevon Kearse, and has the 14th pick in the draft.

I will not call them dead until I see the flat line.

I'm afraid of no one
I will have that attitude for now until opening game, then decide from there :D

felix360

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I have to admit, I like your sig-pic!

Juke gets the credit on that one, it was actually a dallas desperado player, he jut changed the jersey color and helmet and the name

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Jarv said:
PT, who would you like you guys to get in the draft ?

It's funny that you would ask that question. I was just discussing that with some other Eagle fans ...we all seem to have various Opinions about what position(s) is/are needed. But I'd really like to see another OG/C come into the fold. I'd like to create a very strong front line to create more options for D-Nabb.

Also, I'd like see a big RB/CB. How about you?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm still more afraid of the Eagles than I am the Giants or the Commanders. That is a proud team that will get back healthy the best QB in the division, added a bookend DE to Jevon Kearse, and has the 14th pick in the draft.

I will not call them dead until I see the flat line.
Maybe, but to me the 2006 Eagles are the 1997 Cowboys. A team whose best players on either side of the ball (McNabb, Dawkins) are on the wrong side of 30 and have been plagued by injury problems. Brian Westbrook, perhaps the only player in his 20's to make a meaningful contribution to the team, is coming off the dreaded Lis-Franc injury. The offensive line is in shambles. The defensive line lost the NFL's leader in sacks (Burgess) and proved that their secondary is mediocre at best when they can't get pressure.

When you think about a team which is good and will continue to be good for years to come, you need to have a strong core of young, dynamic players. Dallas has that in Roy Williams, Terrance Newman, DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Jason Witten, Julius Jones. Name three players of that caliber on the Eagles who are under 28.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time or the last) but I just can't imagine Philly as a playoff team this year.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
chinch said:
i don't see the eagles rebounding myself.

...best said in my favorite western movie; Tombstome ...by Doc Holiday ...

"Make no mistake it's not rebounding they're after ...it's a reakoning!"

Latin: Age Quod Agis. [Do what you do. - Meaning - "Do what you do best."]; we plan to!

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Understand ...i still half asleep too.:rolleyes:
:lmao: How does the DT situation in Philly look... since the Eagles lost Corey Simon that IMO might have hurt the Eagles a bit... I know you got two good pass rushing ends in Kearse and now Howard, what is your take on your current crop of DTs?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
aardvark said:
How does the DT situation in Philly look... since the Eagles lost Corey Simon

Good question aardvard. I heard Cole was being looked at for the DT spot; plus someone in the draft. There's more, but I'm getting ready to walk into a meeting.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
aardvark said:
:lmao: How does the DT situation in Philly look... since the Eagles lost Corey Simon that IMO might have hurt the Eagles a bit... I know you got two good pass rushing ends in Kearse and now Howard, what is your take on your current crop of DTs?
Losing Simon last year didn't hurt nearly as much as losing Burgess did (16 sacks!). What's strange is the Eagles' philosophy in recent years is to re-sign and extend young talent and cut older players (30+ years). Their philosophy has changed these last few years and it has burned them. They lost two young talented players in recent years in Burgess and Simon (both under 30) but took chances on older players like Kearse and Howard. This makes me think that they are gearing up for one last shot then will devolve into a rebuilding era.

To answer your question, Darwin Walker and Mike Patterson are probably penciled in as starters at DT for the Eagles. I disagree with PT in that Cole played well on the outside and will probably rotate with (or displace) Darren Howard.

The Eagles' biggest needs are WR, DT, C, LG, and OLB in that order and you could probably make the case that they need to replace Dawkins at FS, Kearse/Howard at DE and Runyan at RT within the next few years. Other than Westbrook, there isn't a single player with better than average talent on their roster under the age of 28.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put me down in the Eagles are done camp. Their championship window has closed.

The optimists will point soley to injuries as the reason for last season's collapse. But if you look at their entire season, they played one good game - against the 49'ers. Other than that one, they were lucky to win any (other than maybe the seocn Dallas game, they were unlucky there).

The Cowboys blew them off the field when everybody was healthy last year. I'm confident they'll do the same this year.

It's my opinion that the Eagles were never that good, only the best of a terrible NFC.

Looking back, what good team did the Eagles ever beat? In the 4 years they were good, what other good team did they ever beat? None.

I think the rest of the NFC East has passed them by and they'll be cellar dwellars again this year.

8-8

:disseags:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Maybe, but to me the 2006 Eagles are the 1997 Cowboys. A team whose best players on either side of the ball (McNabb, Dawkins) are on the wrong side of 30 and have been plagued by injury problems. Brian Westbrook, perhaps the only player in his 20's to make a meaningful contribution to the team, is coming off the dreaded Lis-Franc injury. The offensive line is in shambles. The defensive line lost the NFL's leader in sacks (Burgess) and proved that their secondary is mediocre at best when they can't get pressure.

When you think about a team which is good and will continue to be good for years to come, you need to have a strong core of young, dynamic players. Dallas has that in Roy Williams, Terrance Newman, DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Jason Witten, Julius Jones. Name three players of that caliber on the Eagles who are under 28.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time or the last) but I just can't imagine Philly as a playoff team this year.
Make no mistake about it Skaven, I hope you are right. I really do. I am leery of wounded animals.