WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FOX EYES 'SUPER' WOMAN

NEXT NFL PREGAME HIRE COULD BE HISTORIC

By ANDREW MARCHAND

May 5, 2006 -- Fox Sports is strongly considering Pam Oliver or Jeanne Zelasko to host its Sunday NFL pregame show, according to sources.

If Fox executives pull the trigger, it arguably will be the highest profile position a woman sportscaster has ever held, because the role would include hosting the Super Bowl in January 2008.

Whoever gets the gig will replace James Brown, who bolted Fox to become host of CBS' NFL pregame.

Zelasko already has been in for a tryout with Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long and Jimmy Johnson. Oliver is expected to do a trial run with the trio sometime in the next month.

"We think the world of both Pam and Jeanne, but are refraining from comment in order to be fair and respectful to everyone involved," Fox Sports spokesman Tim Buckman said.

Fox also is considering former Fox 5-New York anchor Curt Menefee, former SportsCenter anchor Kevin Frazier and Fox Sports NASCAR host Chris Myers, and is still brainstorming for more ideas.

Zelasko has hosted Fox Sports' World Series pregame show, but does not play a huge role in its coverage. Hannah Storm hosted the World Series and the NBA Finals for NBC, but no woman has been the main anchor on a Super Bowl.

LINK

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I am not trying to be a jerk here, and it is not because they are women, but those two choices are pathetic.

This is the nfl, this is the best fox can come up with? Pam Oliver or jeanne zelasko?

Why not hire away suzy kolber, she is excellent and better looking than both of those women.

I guess I just dont understand why they would put Pam Oliver in as host...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I saw Melissa Stark was behind the desk doing news on CNN. Still lookin' good.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Give Bonnie Bernstein a Chance...I've always liked her.

bb_nfl_001.jpg

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Why did Brown have to bolt? The team of Brown, Johnson, Bradshaw, and Long really had chemistry. I actually looked forward to watching it each week, and most years I could care less whether I miss the pregame.

Was the best pregame show since Musberger, Irv Cross, and Jimmy The Greek.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday said:
Maybe Im in the minority but I like Pam Oliver.
If you're speaking strictly from a reporting aspect, I agree. I think she'd be great.

However, I imagine because she's not considered a traditional beauty, there might be some resistance to the idea. She's not "beautiful." This is not to say she's ugly, but her looks would be considered average by some.

And unfortunately, when we're judging female journalists, in sports or wherever, looks tend to be the overriding factor and then her reporting skills. JMO.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
If you're speaking strictly from a reporting aspect, I agree. I think she'd be great.

However, I imagine because she's not considered a traditional beauty, there might be some resistance to the idea. She's not "beautiful." This is not to say she's ugly, but her looks would be considered average by some.

And unfortunately, when we're judging female journalists, in sports or wherever, looks tend to be the overriding factor and then her reporting skills. JMO.

Go for it WG! You could make it. :bow:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Thats the biggest problem with the credibility of having women covering men's sports. I find it annoying when they have people covering a sport that know nothing about the sport or are just their to collect a paycheck and look pretty. Dont get me wrong I love a pretty women as much as the next guy, but come on. I guess there are only so many jobs at CNN, MSN and Fox to go around.:) I forget her name but one of the MNF sideline reporters had mentioned how she didnt even watch the Super Bowl one year.

trentmonster

Reaction score
I kind of hope one of those two get the job. Otherwise, it won't take Fox long to get to Jillian Barberie. Oh brother, does she get on my nerves.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

I agree completely, very well made points. And in looks department, she doesn't pass the eyeball test, but then, my wife would say, I am a very picky guy or wierd guy :D

I think, personally, she might be a good choice, since she is pretty good at what she does, especially her interviews etc. Although not sure if she can control Terry that much, but I have feeling they would fit pretty well though.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
trentmonster said:
I kind of hope one of those two get the job. Otherwise, it won't take Fox long to get to Jillian Barberie. Oh brother, does she get on my nerves.

I'll take Jillian over Pam anytime. Count me as one who cannot stand Pam Oliver.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trentmonster said:

I haven't used this word in quite a few years, but when I see Jillian Barberie, the term "skank" comes to mind. ;)

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Chris Myers would be my first choice, but I like Pam Oliver, and she could be good. I love Bonnie Bernstein. In fact, I love her so much I'm seeing a psychologist to try to talk it out.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Give Bonnie Bernstein a Chance...I've always liked her.

bb_nfl_001.jpg

Bonnie is pretty close to perfect.

Plus, she's from New Jersey, which means should would get Parcells' vote.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To think Phyllis George was the 1st woman to cover the NFL on TV. Overall I still think the group of Brent Mustburger,Irv Cross,Phillis George,and Jimmy the Greek is still the best I have seen.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I never thought one way or anotherr about Pam until that mini-feud with Keyshawn Johnson. I thought they both acted ridiculous, but ever since them I always got the feeling that she tried to create stories.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
To think Phyllis George was the 1st woman to cover the NFL on TV. Overall I still think the group of Brent Mustburger,Irv Cross,Phillis George,and Jimmy the Greek is still the best I have seen.
I agree 100%.