Article: Jeb Bush as NFL Commish?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
You are making it about politics. I am making about getting a long term commitment. I think you are confusing a legitimate concern the league might have about his career path (which happens to be in politics) with a political discussion. That has nothing to do with his politics -- it has to do with his career path.

I'm questioning the guy's commitment to the job - unlike, Rozelle and Tags, here is someone who could aspire to an even bigger position (e.g., Senator or President -- oops! I brought up politics again). My point, again, is that this is something the league will likely be concerned about. You can't simply put blinders on and say "is he qualified" and ignore potential factors relevant to his career aspirations.
Tags might have aspired to the Supreme Court. Rozelle had other options as well.

Moot point.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Tags might have aspired to the Supreme Court. Rozelle had other options as well.

Moot point.

Now that's just silly -- Tags wasn't on a career path that would lead to the Supreme court and Rozelle's other options would have been as a GM or in PR.

Jeb on the other hand is in a position where the Senate or even Presidency is a REALISTIC option. You don't think the league has ANY concern to that regard? Come on.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Now that's just silly -- Tags wasn't on a career path that would lead to the Supreme court and Rozelle's other options would have been as a GM or in PR.

Jeb on the other hand is in a position where the Senate or even Presidency is a REALISTIC option. You don't think the league has ANY concern to that regard? Come on.
The point is, and always has been, the fact he has options that are all big options makes him a better candidate, not a worse one.

Not sure why that is so hard to grasp. To think Tags and Rozelle had no other options or other goals and that they dropped all other aspirations once the NFL called is naive. Or calculated, which I think is more likely at this point.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Jeb already said he was not running for President, and why would you think he would run for senate? That would be a demotion from the job he already holds

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The point is, and always has been, the fact he has options that are all big options makes him a better candidate, not a worse one.

Not sure why that is so hard to grasp. To think Tags and Rozelle had no other options or other goals and that they dropped all other aspirations once the NFL called is naive. Or calculated, which I think is more likely at this point.

So you can't see how that can be seen as both a plus AND a minus? To say it is a moot point suggests you fail to grasp that many owners might fear the use of this position as a stepping stone.

As far as Tags and Rozelle go, both were somewhat unknown (compared to Jeb) so for them most options would involve a step down (e.g., big corporate lawyer, head of a large PR firm) -- for Jeb, a step up is possible.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
So you can't see how that can be seen as both a plus AND a minus? To say it is a moot point suggests you fail to grasp that many owners might fear the use of this position as a stepping stone.

As far as Tags and Rozelle go, both were somewhat unknown (compared to Jeb) so for them most options would involve a step down (e.g., big corporate lawyer, head of a large PR firm) -- for Jeb, a step up is possible.
No, I do not see it as a minus.

You assume he'd move on. I don't. You assume owners would fear this. I don't.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
No, I do not see it as a minus.

You assume he'd move on. I don't. You assume owners would fear this. I don't.

I would think if the owners didn't even bring this up that they would be doing a very bad job in the interview process.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I would think if the owners didn't even bring this up that they would be doing a very bad job in the interview process.
:laugh2:

Auntie Em, Auntie Em, it's a twister! It's a twister!

david_jackson

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yes, but does that trasnlate to every aspect of his life?

I'm sorry but football is NOT politics. A person's political leanings have NOTHING whatsoever to do with their ability to run the NFL.

Let's see we are working on a 14 page post on this crap so it obviously generates a lot of heat. I doubt anyone would watch football because of Jeb's politics, but people my NOT watch it because of politics. If two candidates are close in ability then a strong argument can be made to picking the apolitical candidate.

Also....I wonder if Jeb would get a sniff if not for politics.....

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Please I hope not, I want a football guy. Marv Leavy springs to mind but I am not sure he would want a year round job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:
Please I hope not, I want a football guy. Marv Leavy springs to mind but I am not sure he would want a year round job.

Jeb Bush has already said he was not intersted in the job. The league needs a commissioner now and Jeb is not going to leave his office as Gov to be the next NFL commissioner.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
Let's see we are working on a 14 page post on this crap so it obviously generates a lot of heat. I doubt anyone would watch football because of Jeb's politics, but people my NOT watch it because of politics. If two candidates are close in ability then a strong argument can be made to picking the apolitical candidate.

Also....I wonder if Jeb would get a sniff if not for politics.....
Anyone who would not watch football because of his politics needs to wear panties of some material other than lace. That is the dumbest idea since not watching the Cowboys because they signed TO. Great ideas. :rolleyes:

It reminds me of a spoiled kid holding his breath and throwing a tantrum. Understand something, I'm not rolling my eyes at you, I'm rolling them at the idea that his politics matters. I'm rolling them at the idea TO or Jeb will be forced to go away if you don't watch.

Remember when baseball resumed after 9/11? One of the things we said was that the terrorists were not going to interupt they way we live. TO can do that to some fans here? Jeb Bush could do that to some fans out there? Yeah send the message baby. What message? That he's got power over you. Great idea. Uh, no it isn't.

The topic generates heat. Yeah, it did, but I'm here arguing that it shouldn't. It should not matter what the man's politics are. I'm saying keep his politics out of football. Ya'll are saying keep them there. That doesn't make any sense.

If the man got the job and reporters asked him a political question it would be his fault for answering right? Proof that he hasn't put his politics behind him right? Unreal.

There is no doubt that the NFL is looking for a name that commands respect. If he were a name that commanded respect outside the political arena that the owners felt would lend some credibility or power then I imagine he would get some sniffs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:

You mean aside from the job Levy has with the Bills as their GM?

Of course, Levy is 80 years old (looking very good for 80 there Marv!) so he wouldn't be a realistic option.

Reaction score
abersonc said:
You mean aside from the job Levy has with the Bills as their GM?

Of course, Levy is 80 years old (looking very good for 80 there Marv!) so he wouldn't be a realistic option.

Thats just tooooo old, any Commish prospects should be penciled in for at least 5-6 yrs... I'll bet Levy doesn't even buy green bananas... :p: