Article: Jeb Bush as NFL Commish?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cleverusername said:
My sister has worked with both of George's (Texas and D.C) administrations and Jeb's in Florida. When I first read this article I emailed her to see If she could get us the scoop. Her best friend still works for Jeb so we'll see what happens. Here is a quote from her email.

"I think Jeb's pretty serious about waiting until
January before he decides what he'll do next.

But if Tagliabue would stay on til then... I think
he'd have to seriously consider it. If only to make
Condi really, really jealous!"

She said Condi Rice was always saying that this is her dream job (NFL Commish) and George was always saying that his dream job was being the MLB commish and acted like he would seriously persue it after his presidency.
That's wild. Thanks.

I can't see Condi as NFL Commish. Not a chauvenist opinion either. Not sure what it is.

I still think a former player needs strong consideration. Troy Aikman would be a good choice.

:grin:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
That's wild. Thanks.

I can't see Condi as NFL Commish. Not a chauvenist opinion either. Not sure what it is.

I still think a former player needs strong consideration. Troy Aikman would be a good choice.

:grin:

Former players like Gene Upshaw or Ozzie Newsome? Upshaw is rumored to be on the interview list forwarded by the Pollard Alliance. He is highly qualified and has done very well by his players -- of course, a lot of folks in this country react very negatively to the word "union" so his candidacy might not be publicly popular -- plus we know the owners hate him.

Ozzie is one of the more respected GMs in the league (2000 executive of the year). If the league goes the former player option, Ozzie would have to be on that list. There will be a minority applicant interviewed and he's the highest ranking minority NFL team executive.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Former players like Gene Upshaw or Ozzie Newsome? Upshaw is rumored to be on the interview list forwarded by the Pollard Alliance. He is highly qualified and has done very well by his players -- of course, a lot of folks in this country react very negatively to the word "union" so his candidacy might not be publicly popular -- plus we know the owners hate him.

Ozzie is one of the more respected GMs in the league (2000 executive of the year). If the league goes the former player option, Ozzie would have to be on that list. There will be a minority applicant interviewed and he's the highest ranking minority NFL team executive.
I do think Ozzie Newsome is a good candidate. I don't think Upshaw is. Too Union oriented.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I do think Ozzie Newsome is a good candidate. I don't think Upshaw is. Too Union oriented.

I agree that he isn't seen by the owners as a good candidate -- but if you want to talk objectively about what sort of skills and experiences are relevant to the commish job, you'd have to admit that Upshaw meets all the other criteria. Call it highly relevant but almost totally undesireable work experience.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I agree that he isn't seen by the owners as a good candidate -- but if you want to talk objectively about what sort of skills and experiences are relevant to the commish job, you'd have to admit that Upshaw meets all the other criteria. Call it highly relevant but almost totally undesireable work experience.
I'd call it adversarial contempt for their needs personally.

Ozzie would be someone I think who'd be great at this.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Ozzie would be someone I think who'd be great at this.

To me Ozzie would make a very positive PR splash as well. I'd be shocked if the league doesn't bring him in for an interview.

He's my official (no pun intended) Dark Horse candidate.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
To me Ozzie would make a very positive PR splash as well. I'd be shocked if the league doesn't bring him in for an interview.

He's my official (no pun intended) Dark Horse candidate.
I'll go out on a limb. The NFL will guarantee Jeb Tags will stay in place until he leaves office in January before this is over. Not saying he'll take it or anything, just saying if they are serious they will try to gauge his comfort level with the idea.

I still say Aikman should be the guy. It'll never happen of course, but I can dream.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'll go out on a limb. The NFL will guarantee Jeb Tags will stay in place until he leaves office in January before this is over. Not saying he'll take it or anything, just saying if they are serious they will try to gauge his comfort level with the idea.

I still say Aikman should be the guy. It'll never happen of course, but I can dream.

I think for such a high level position like this, the league is going to want to go through a full interview process with a number of candidates. rather than just say "ok Jeb -- here you go" --

Also, my bet is that Tags really doesn't want to stay in place. That would leave the league with a full season under a lame duck commish -- any negotiation on any issue would be very tough since the other side would have nothing to lose by taking a hard line with Tags. This would create a considerable power void at the top of the league. Plus, it is an awful way for such a successful commish to end his term.

Another issue to consider is that the league would need a commitment from Jeb that he give up politics -- the NFL wants a long term guy -- and Jeb very well might run for Senate or some other high level position in '08

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
A Bush in the whitehouse and a Bush as NFL Commissioner? Who says the US isn't about having royal families.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think for such a high level position like this, the league is going to want to go through a full interview process with a number of candidates. rather than just say "ok Jeb -- here you go" --

Also, my bet is that Tags really doesn't want to stay in place. That would leave the league with a full season under a lame duck commish -- any negotiation on any issue would be very tough since the other side would have nothing to lose by taking a hard line with Tags. This would create a considerable power void at the top of the league. Plus, it is an awful way for such a successful commish to end his term.

Another issue to consider is that the league would need a commitment from Jeb that he give up politics -- the NFL wants a long term guy -- and Jeb very well might run for Senate or some other high level position in '08
No doubt Tags wants to leave in July. But he has already stated he will stay on longer if a replacement isn't found.

You keep dragging politics into this process. His candidacy doesn't have to be about his politcs. The sooner you get over that the clearer your mind will be on it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
No doubt Tags wants to leave in July. But he has already stated he will stay on longer if a replacement isn't found.

You keep dragging politics into this process. His candidacy doesn't have to be about his politcs. The sooner you get over that the clearer your mind will be on it.

I don't see that I'm dragging his politics into it -- my comments only accurately reflect that his current position is one that places him as a logical candidate for other high level positions -- that has nothing to do with his politics -- it has to do with his job. It isn't my fault that he's a politician. I'm only noting that if he took this job the league would need a commitment that he put any political aspiration aside.

It has nothing to do with "politics" per se. If the owners were considering Paul Allen as commish, they'd expect him put his work with Microsoft aside so he could be commish full-time.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know why people get so pissed off about politics. My life hasn't changed one iota from Clinton to Bush. The bus still runs on time, hamburgers taste and cost the same, pay about the same in taxes, etc. Had maniacs not flown airplanes into buildings, I'm guessing Bush and Clinton would have looked even more similar. In short, you're the master of your own destiny, not some guy in the WH.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't see that I'm dragging his politics into it -- my comments only accurately reflect that his current position is one that places him as a logical candidate for other high level positions -- that has nothing to do with his politics -- it has to do with his job. It isn't my fault that he's a politician. I'm only noting that if he took this job the league would need a commitment that he put any political aspiration aside.

It has nothing to do with "politics" per se. If the owners were considering Paul Allen as commish, they'd expect him put his work with Microsoft aside so he could be commish full-time.
You're the only one I see saying he needs to guarantee to keep his politics behind him. His politics are an issue with you. As someone who is non-political in nature I do not get this. I'd be saying the same thing to someone on the other side of your political fence if Bill Clinton were the candidate. His politics don't matter. How well could he do the job? That's the only criteria. Or at least it should be.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun said:
I don't know why people get so pissed off about politics. My life hasn't changed one iota from Clinton to Bush. The bus still runs on time, hamburgers taste and cost the same, pay about the same in taxes, etc. Had maniacs not flown airplanes into buildings, I'm guessing Bush and Clinton would have looked even more similar. In short, you're the master of your own destiny, not some guy in the WH.
I'm with you. I don't get it. How thinking people can look you in the eye and say one party is 100% better than the other is laughable. Things barely change with either party in power. It's always politics as usual. Time to wake up to that reality.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You're the only one I see saying he needs to guarantee to keep his politics behind him. His politics are an issue with you. As someone who is non-political in nature I do not get this. I'd be saying the same thing to someone on the other side of your political fence if Bill Clinton were the candidate. His politics don't matter. How well could he do the job? That's the only criteria. Or at least it should be.

This has nothing to do with how I feel about Jeb Bush. Hell, I actually think Jeb is the best Bush out there. It has to do with what the league is looking for in a commish.

Do you honestly think the league wants to hire a guy who plans to run for President or Senate in '08? My point -- rather than the point you attribute to me -- was that the league wants someone long term. We've had 2 commishioners in the last 46 years -- the owners have an eye toward a 20 year hire -- not toward someone who may have other jobs in mind in the future.

I certainly would be saying this about ANY person who was hired into this position. Bill, Obama, Condi, Ross Freaking Perot for that matter.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm with you. I don't get it. How thinking people can look you in the eye and say one party is 100% better than the other is laughable. Things barely change with either party in power. It's always politics as usual. Time to wake up to that reality.

95% of the things that impact your life (positively or negatively) stem from local politics, not the Feds. Dems might take the House this Fall? Big deal.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun said:
95% of the things that impact your life (positively or negatively) stem from local politics, not the Feds. Dems might take the House this Fall? Big deal.
One party could be in total control and nothing would truly change. Politics is crusie control. It always has been.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
This has nothing to do with how I feel about Jeb Bush. Hell, I actually think Jeb is the best Bush out there. It has to do with what the league is looking for in a commish.

Do you honestly think the league wants to hire a guy who plans to run for President or Senate in '08? My point -- rather than the point you attribute to me -- was that the league wants someone long term. We've had 2 commishioners in the last 46 years -- the owners have an eye toward a 20 year hire -- not toward someone who may have other jobs in mind in the future.

I certainly would be saying this about ANY person who was hired into this position. Bill, Obama, Condi, Ross Freaking Perot for that matter.
Where did he say he was running for office in 2008? I ask in all sincerity because there's no way I would know if he did. I could care less. I did see in 2 articles in here that he has said he will not seek the Presidency in 2008.

I think the reason he's a candidate is real simple, he's not in his 60's or 70's and he's high profile with some experience in big affairs. Wouldn't that be a potential long term candidate in your eyes?

That has nothing to do with his politics and never will.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Where did he say he was running for office in 2008? I ask in all sincerity because there's no way I would know if he did. I could care less. I did see in 2 articles in here that he has said he will not seek the Presidency in 2008.

I think the reason he's a candidate is real simple, he's not in his 60's or 70's and he's high profile with some experience in big affairs. Wouldn't that be a potential long term candidate in your eyes?

That has nothing to do with his politics and never will.

You are making it about politics. I am making about getting a long term commitment. I think you are confusing a legitimate concern the league might have about his career path (which happens to be in politics) with a political discussion. That has nothing to do with his politics -- it has to do with his career path.

I'm questioning the guy's commitment to the job - unlike, Rozelle and Tags, here is someone who could aspire to an even bigger position (e.g., Senator or President -- oops! I brought up politics again). My point, again, is that this is something the league will likely be concerned about. You can't simply put blinders on and say "is he qualified" and ignore potential factors relevant to his career aspirations.