ARTICLE: Law, Fabini are interesting possibilities for Dallas

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

Law, Fabini are interesting possibilities for Dallas

By Connor Byrne ; 02/23/06

Of the players that the New York Jets released on Wednesday, two of them jump to mind as being stellar players: cornerback Ty Law and offensive right tackle Jason Fabini. Both are veterans who have been in the league for a long period of time, and the only reason they were released is because of the Jets' salary cap woes.

The two aforementioned big-name veterans are both terrific options for the Dallas Cowboys to evaluate. Already with a solid veteran core, the Cowboys' window of opportunity may be on its way to closing completely in the next two years. Head coach Bill Parcells' contract expires at the close of the 2007 season, and he is unlikely to continue with the Cowboys beyond that. Other than Parcells, quarterback Drew Bledsoe, wide receivers Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson, offensive guards Larry Allen and Marco Rivera, defensive tackle La'Roi Glover, and cornerback Aaron Glenn are all into their 30s and on the brink of decline--if it hasn't started already for some of them.

At this point, it makes sense for the Cowboys to go for the gusto and sign two key veterans who could aid in their push for a Super Bowl title.

In 2005, Law managed to make the Pro Bowl in his first and only season with the New York Jets. He may have been the AFC's best cornerback as he intercepted 10 passes and made life miserable for opposing passing games. Law played his first two seasons of his career in 1995 and '96 under Parcells with the New England Patriots, intercepting six passes to begin his rise as one of the NFL's best cornerbacks. Not only that, but Law gained the utmost respect for Parcells and still swears by him to this day. A Law-Parcells reunion is a match made in heaven at this point. He would solidify an already well-rounded Cowboys secondary, and in a couple of years, would be able to make the transition to free safety. As a probable future Hall of Famer, the 32-year old Law would love to leave the league as he came in--with Parcells as his coach. Law would fancy nothing more than to aid in delivering a third Super Bowl title for Parcells.

The Cowboys' two starting corners at the moment are Terence Newman and Anthony Henry. Veteran Aaron Glenn is the nickel corner, but he would make for an impressive free safety next season. A secondary that would include Law, Newman and Henry rotating at the other starter and nickel position, Glenn at free safety, and Roy Williams at strong safety would be enough to scare any opposing offense. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to say that a secondary constructed of those players would be the NFL's best.

As for the other veteran ex-Jet now on the open market - right tackle Jason Fabini - he played for Parcells with the Jets from 1998-1999 and enjoyed a great deal of success. Fabini was a major part of what was a solid Jets offensive line all the way to 2004. Unfortunately for Fabini and the Jets, he was injured last season and appeared in only nine games. Still, at age 31, Fabini still has a good amount of football in him to offer. At 6'7", 304 pounds, Fabini is an imposing force who can swallow up opposing defensive linemen, which is something that Bledsoe could certainly use since he does not exactly possess Michael Vick, or even Kurt Warner speed.

No disrespect to incumbent right tackle Rob Petitti, but he is not on the same level as Fabini at this point. A rookie in 2005, Petitti did a decent job as a starter, but the Cowboys have an opportunity to make a significant upgrade by agreeing to terms with Fabini. With the re-emergence of Flozell Adams at left tackle next season, the Cowboys would undoubtedly have one of the league's best, most respected lines.

As of right now, the Dallas Cowboys are an estimated $3 million under the salary cap. In order to accommodate Law and/or Fabini, they would have to restructure some contracts and release some players. It can be done. With their window to a championship closing, the Cowboys need to make every effort to acquire the best players to win big. Obviously, owner Jerry Jones already knows that. Will he follow through on it this offseason? Only time will tell.

- Connor Byrne can be reached at cbyrne@realfootball365.com.

Dallas Cowboys News

superpunk

Reaction score
trickblue said:
As of right now, the Dallas Cowboys are an estimated $3 million under the salary cap. In order to accommodate Law and/or Fabini, they would have to restructure some contracts and release some players. It can be done. With their window to a championship closing, the Cowboys need to make every effort to acquire the best players to win big. Obviously, owner Jerry Jones already knows that. Will he follow through on it this offseason? Only time will tell.

Who is this idiot? We've barely cracked the damn window, and now it's closed?......moron.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
In my dream of dreams, I hope Law finds his overpriced butt too much for the market, and we have a realistic shot at signing him as a safety and become another one of the teams that gets 3-4 good years out of a aging Pro Bowl corner converted to safety. I'd much, much, much rather have Law at safety than Hope, Davis or any rookie. Here's to hoping that pipe dream comes true.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Who is this idiot? We've barely cracked the damn window, and now it's closed?......moron.

Not really, the Cowboys are too old on offense. Quarterback, receiver, offensive line have a lot of againg vets with no legitimate young players ready to step up and take over. Defensively, we're set. But I think it would be wise if the Cowboys start listening to those articles that preach it's time to draft on offense in the first round. :)

KingTuna

Reaction score
Do IT! We have 2006 and 2007 for the "superbowl" run...2008 will be the rebuilding year with a new probably young QB and overhauled offense.'

WE need to do this NOW....

superpunk

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Not really, the Cowboys are too old on offense. Quarterback, receiver, offensive line have a lot of againg vets with no legitimate young players ready to step up and take over. Defensively, we're set. But I think it would be wise if the Cowboys start listening to those articles that preach it's time to draft on offense in the first round. :)

That's a bit too much of a blanket statement for our offense. Glenn can probably play for a few more years. Witten's young, Our RB's are young. Adams has some good years left. Our Centers are young. pettiti's young. Crayton looks like he'll be decent. The turnover at the rest of the positions, can be achieved before the aging vets retire.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
superpunk said:
That's a bit too much of a blanket statement for our offense. Glenn can probably play for a few more years. Witten's young, Our RB's are young. Adams has some good years left. Our Centers are young. pettiti's young. Crayton looks like he'll be decent. The turnover at the rest of the positions, can be achieved before the aging vets retire.

Glenn is going any day. He's getting up there in the 30's and speed is the only thing that let him succeed. Crayton hasn't proven anything yet. I'll give ya that he may be a decent #2 one day, but he has yet to show that he's worth cutting starters for.

Our best linemen is our left tackle, and he's 30 with a few more years, but Larry and Marco are the next most accomplished fellas and they'll be gone by next year. I'm not ready to turn this line over to guys like Al Johnson, Al Petiti and Andre Gurode as the premier linemen, are you?

Again, at quarterback, unless Romo becomes the stud Parcells is thinking he will, we're screwed if Bledsoe goes down. Henson is in NFL Europe, that's all I have to say about that.

Henson, Romo and Crayton are up there with Julius, Barber and the rest of 'em. We have a lot of young players that are better than the Campo depth charts, but Witten is the only one that you can say without a doubt will have a solid career, but how many teams win because of a Pro Bowl tight end?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This is the same guy who was all over Moulds.

Aaron Glenn as a FS? Now that's a stupid idea. 5'9" 185 doesn't cut it at safety. Especially when a guy is older.

superpunk

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Glenn is going any day. He's getting up there in the 30's and speed is the only thing that let him succeed. Crayton hasn't proven anything yet. I'll give ya that he may be a decent #2 one day, but he has yet to show that he's worth cutting starters for.

Our best linemen is our left tackle, and he's 30 with a few more years, but Larry and Marco are the next most accomplished fellas and they'll be gone by next year. I'm not ready to turn this line over to guys like Al Johnson, Al Petiti and Andre Gurode as the premier linemen, are you?

Again, at quarterback, unless Romo becomes the stud Parcells is thinking he will, we're screwed if Bledsoe goes down. Henson is in NFL Europe, that's all I have to say about that.

Henson, Romo and Crayton are up there with Julius, Barber and the rest of 'em. We have a lot of young players that are better than the Campo depth charts, but Witten is the only one that you can say without a doubt will have a solid career, but how many teams win because of a Pro Bowl tight end?

WRs can play, and be productive well into their thirties. Glenn just had his best year, ever. I'd give him a few more, not go at any time. Crayton's a #2, I agree, but there's time to find a legit #1. Who's Al Pettiti?;) The line needs some help, and my hope is that these young fellas can start to come along. If not, there's still some time there. I don't think Rivera's at the jumping off point, yet, although last season was disappointing. Hopefully another year in out system, and a healed back, will work wonders for him.

Julius has had a heck of a start as a RB, unfortunately, his injury history is horrible. I just don't think this "ancient" picture people paint of our offense is accurate. We have some older players, but look how quick we rejuvenated our defense. It can be done.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
superpunk said:
WRs can play, and be productive well into their thirties. Glenn just had his best year, ever. I'd give him a few more, not go at any time. Crayton's a #2, I agree, but there's time to find a legit #1. Who's Al Pettiti?;) The line needs some help, and my hope is that these young fellas can start to come along. If not, there's still some time there. I don't think Rivera's at the jumping off point, yet, although last season was disappointing. Hopefully another year in out system, and a healed back, will work wonders for him.

Julius has had a heck of a start as a RB, unfortunately, his injury history is horrible. I just don't think this "ancient" picture people paint of our offense is accurate. We have some older players, but look how quick we rejuvenated our defense. It can be done.

I think older players can work. Look at the Raiders run to the Super Bowl a few years ago. Look at Kansas City's offensive line. It can happen. But I would guess that the original statement about a limited window is entirely correct if the Cowboys don't bring in some young free agents or quality draft picks on offense. Even though it's gotten a lot better under Parcells, we've still been struggling on that side of the ball since the Triplets left. Defensively, the Cowboys are ready to go for the next decade, especially if they find another good pickup or two at linebacker. I just hope Parcells can have better success than the "Rogers & Peterman Debacle of '04" when he concentrates on offense in the high rounds. :eek:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
superpunk said:

Yeah...I had the same reaction.

superpunk

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I think older players can work. Look at the Raiders run to the Super Bowl a few years ago. Look at Kansas City's offensive line. It can happen. But I would guess that the original statement about a limited window is entirely correct if the Cowboys don't bring in some young free agents or quality draft picks on offense.

Why would anyone assume that's not going to happen? Or at least be attempted?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Ty Law is not coming here. Not. Coming. Here. It is a tired discussion to say the least.

Fabini? It's a possibility. He's 31 not 67. People need to get off the age thing for our OL. OL guys can thrive well into their 30's. Since we KNOW Flo will be back, Rivera will be back, LA will probably be back, we're only talking about a younger guy vs an older guy at one position- RT. The other positions are what they are anyway. But it's not all doom and gloom either- Petitti will be given a chance to develop. We will probably select a couple guys in the draft to develop. Johnson is still young. I don't understand all the gnashing of teeth about age. It makes no sense to me.

Jay

Reaction score
My dream has been to have Law/Newman at CB, Glenn at Nickel CB, and move Henry to FS (10 picks there as a rookie) and Roy at SS.

Would be quite an expensive secondary, but I can dream, can't I?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jay said:
My dream has been to have Law/Newman at CB, Glenn at Nickel CB, and move Henry to FS (10 picks there as a rookie) and Roy at SS.

Would be quite an expensive secondary, but I can dream, can't I?

My dream would be... :)

Oh forget it. ;)

aikemirv

Reaction score
Law will be a hired gun for the rest of his carreer IMO. He will go to the highest bidder and that won't be Dallas. Now if this were two years ago and Law was free we probably would be singing a different tune, but I just cannot see any possible way we spend more big dollars for a CB when we are set at that position.

I also don't think we spend big dollars in FA for a FS. We had the chance to court Sharper last year and I don't recall any interest and our FS was better last year than the year before.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
Do IT! We have 2006 and 2007 for the "superbowl" run...2008 will be the rebuilding year with a new probably young QB and overhauled offense.'

WE need to do this NOW....

That's an awesome idea. Let's win the SB and then sell the farm so we can rebuild. I guess that is every franchises wish... win the big one then rebuild.

:bang2: :bang2:

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Law will be a hired gun for the rest of his carreer IMO. He will go to the highest bidder and that won't be Dallas. Now if this were two years ago and Law was free we probably would be singing a different tune, but I just cannot see any possible way we spend more big dollars for a CB when we are set at that position.

I also don't think we spend big dollars in FA for a FS. We had the chance to court Sharper last year and I don't recall any interest and our FS was better last year than the year before.

Cornerback was a bigger issue last year and BP thought he had someone going into camp who could play FS. This year we know we have an awesome ST player in the defensive backfield who shouldn't be there.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Law makes no sense here, not unless he will come for much less money and play free safety. Cornerback was NOT a deficiency on this team last year. If this team upgrades at linebacker, offensive line, free safety and kicker they're the favorite for the NFC East. There will be plenty of opportunities through FA and the draft, anxious to see how this all plays out.