ARTICLE: Law, Fabini are interesting possibilities for Dallas

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Norm Hitzges just gave his .02 ....

The Cowboys are desperate at offensive tackle. Absolutely desperate. Everyone assumes the position will get better when Flo comes back, and he’s a good player, but he won’t set the world on fire. As the year went on, Pettiti just didn’t get the job done.

Think how far the Jets have fallen in 1 year. They went from 1 missed kick away from competing for the Superbowl to absolutely collapsing. This is why when you talk to people in the Cowboys organization, they say respect Stephen Jones because he understands the cap. The Jets found themselves 26 million over the cap so they had to gut the organization. Jason Fabini is going to be 32 years old. Red Flag. Coming off an injury. Red Flag. So why should we consider this guy. Look at the bigger picture. The Cowboys could get this guy cheaply because of the injury and age. He was drafted in 1998 by Parcells, who liked him so much he immediately started him as a rookie for all 16 games. Bill leaves New York, and they move him to left tackle and he starts all 16 games for five seasons in a row. Before last year’s injury, he had 89 consecutive starts. Bill drafted him, and he obviously liked him since he started him as a rookie. So why take on another 30+ offensive lineman? The Cowboys will draft an offensive lineman in the draft this year. Mak no mistake about it. Look at the age across the board on the offfensive line, and the Cowboys will draft 2 or 3 offensive lineman. At least 2, probably 3. With Fabini in place, you don’t have to throw a rookie out there who will be in way over his head like Pettiti was.

Ty Law is no longer a cornerback in the NFL. Some people feel he can be a cover safety. That's exactly what Dallas needs. He’s another over 30 guy. So? The Cowboys could still draft a guy to groom behind him in the draft. Would he come cheaply? With his age, I believe he would.

The Cowboys are going for it next year. That doesn’t mean another year of putting your hands over your eyes at the offensive tackle position. I especially expect to see Fabini here, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Law too. Fabini would certainly fill a hole on the football team.

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

The Cowboys are desperate at offensive tackle. Absolutely desperate. Everyone assumes the position will get better when Flo comes back, and he’s a good player, but he won’t set the world on fire. As the year went on, Pettiti just didn’t get the job done.

Think how far the Jets have fallen in 1 year. They went from 1 missed kick away from competing for the Superbowl to absolutely collapsing. This is why when you talk to people in the Cowboys organization, they say respect Stephen Jones because he understands the cap. The Jets found themselves 26 million over the cap so they had to gut the organization. Jason Fabini is going to be 32 years old. Red Flag. Coming off an injury. Red Flag. So why should we consider this guy. Look at the bigger picture. The Cowboys could get this guy cheaply because of the injury and age. He was drafted in 1998 by Parcells, who liked him so much he immediately started him as a rookie for all 16 games. Bill leaves New York, and they move him to left tackle and he starts all 16 games for five seasons in a row. Before last year’s injury, he had 89 consecutive starts. Bill drafted him, and he obviously liked him since he started him as a rookie. So why take on another 30+ offensive lineman? The Cowboys will draft an offensive lineman in the draft this year. Mak no mistake about it. Look at the age across the board on the offfensive line, and the Cowboys will draft 2 or 3 offensive lineman. At least 2, probably 3. With Fabini in place, you don’t have to throw a rookie out there who will be in way over his head like Pettiti was.

Ty Law is no longer a cornerback in the NFL. Some people feel he can be a cover safety. That's exactly what Dallas needs. He’s another over 30 guy. So? The Cowboys could still draft a guy to groom behind him in the draft. Would he come cheaply? With his age, I believe he would.

The Cowboys are going for it next year. That doesn’t mean another year of putting your hands over your eyes at the offensive tackle position. I especially expect to see Fabini here, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Law too. Fabini would certainly fill a hole on the football team.

How is a CB who was at the top of the NFL last year in INT not a CB anymore?

Eddie

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Who is this idiot? We've barely cracked the damn window, and now it's closed?......moron.

What window? There hasn't been a window in Dallas in over 10 years. ha ha

Definitely a MO-RON!!!

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

exactly. I thought it was funny, too, that they want to take A. Glenn and put him in the FS spot. Isn't he kind of small to play FS? I love the Lil Aggie, but I don't think that is the place to play him. I think I could tolerate Law at FS a little more.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
aikemirv said:

INT's is not a good indicator of a CB's play. Having 10 INT's just tells me that teams threw at you all game long. The five year stretch where Ty Law was probably the best CB in the NFL, from 1999-2004, he was getting 2 or 3 INT's a season.

What will hurt Law's demand in the league is that he isn't capable of playing man to man. He's strictly a Cover 2 Zone CB these days. How many teams in the league use strictly Cover 2 with all the blitzing schemes en vogue around the league? As a CB he's pretty much limited to Tampa, Indy, KC or Chicago.

I'm still not sold Law can be a FS.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Yeah...I had the same reaction.
..is a Fantasy League failure. And a Skins fan, to boot.

Every name player that is on the downside of their career because they once played briefly for Parcells and now have salaries bigger than their production..

..we're supposed to gobble them up.

Ridiculous.

I'd hold our cash and see what's available to be traded for at draft time and immediately thereafter who maybe cut by other teams when they draft a younger player and they need cap room to sign them.

Those types of players will be more affordable than the ones bubbling up now that are bloated cap fodder.

Heck, we need to figure out who we are going to keep before we go shopping right now, we've got cap issues ourselves if we go after anybody, too.

parcellswaterboy

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
I'd hold our cash and see what's available to be traded for at draft time and immediately thereafter who maybe cut by other teams when they draft a younger player and they need cap room to sign them.

Can you list me some examples of the great players that were made available after the draft last year? Or the year before?

Far better quality players are released before March, when teams are forced to get under the cap, than after the draft when teams have absoultely reason or imperative to purge starter quality players from their roster.

Your offseason philosophy sounds very much like the one the Cowboys took in 2005. "We'll just hold out ... there's going to be somebody out there one day. I just know it." I don't think the wishfull thinking approach is a very pragmatic one. It certainly wasn't that offseason.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I'm still not sold Law can be a FS.
He probably could be, but he won't want to be. Last year, coming off that bad injury that wouldn't even let him work out for teams, he claimed he would be the best corner in the league and would get paid like it. I can't believe that's going to change after one year when he gets ten INTs. As you say, that number doesn't mean much in itself, but some stupid team with corner woes will still overpay him partly because of it.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Ty Law thinks he is still one of the best, if not the best CB in the league. Delusional? Sure. But that is his perception and it speaks of the size of his ego which is massive. Nothing wrong with a CB with an ego, you need one to survive. But the point is with 32 teams in the league you only need 1 to agree with him that he's still an excellent starting CB. And since there is always a shortage of talent at that position I believe there is little doubt he will find such a team and he will get paid a heck of a lot more than FS money.

FS is probably the very last position on the entire defense that you want to get caught overspending for. Ty Law will not sign on as a FS but in the event he did he would demand to be the highest paid FS in the league. IMO he would not be worth the money. But it ain't happening anyway.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Ty Law thinks he is still one of the best, if not the best CB in the league. Delusional? Sure. But that is his perception and it speaks of the size of his ego which is massive. Nothing wrong with a CB with an ego, you need one to survive. But the point is with 32 teams in the league you only need 1 to agree with him that he's still an excellent starting CB. And since there is always a shortage of talent at that position I believe there is little doubt he will find such a team and he will get paid a heck of a lot more than FS money.

FS is probably the very last position on the entire defense that you want to get caught overspending for. Ty Law will not sign on as a FS but in the event he did he would demand to be the highest paid FS in the league. IMO he would not be worth the money. But it ain't happening anyway.

Doesn't matter what he demands, only what folks are offering. ;)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Doesn't matter what he demands, only what folks are offering. ;)

Yep, Ty Law doesn't set the market.

Would he want to play CB for $750k a year when he has a $1.5 offer to play free safety?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
..is a Fantasy League failure. And a Skins fan, to boot.

Every name player that is on the downside of their career because they once played briefly for Parcells and now have salaries bigger than their production..

..we're supposed to gobble them up.

Ridiculous.

Those types of players will be more affordable than the ones bubbling up now that are bloated cap fodder.

Heck, we need to figure out who we are going to keep before we go shopping right now, we've got cap issues ourselves if we go after anybody, too.

parcellswaterboy

No, here's what ridiculous. That a OT that's any good will be let go late. Don't you think BP has been kept up late thinking about why he didn't fortify the OT position better last year? Do you honestly think he's going to repeat that mistake again and wait for guys like Brooks and Price and Columbo to get released? I don't. The three positions I believe will be addressed quickly in FA are RT, FS and K.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
Norm Hitzges just gave his .02 .......

Is it weird that I want us to sign Law more to watch the reaction on this board than to actually see him on the field in a Cowboy uniform? Can you imagine how much fun that would be at this point? God, I hope it happens.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Good stuff!

Last offseason was one of the most exciting in a while. Free agency blitz and a great draft. I hope the Cowboys really are going for it next year. I can't wait to see some of their pick-ups this year. Gonna be a fun one. :cool:

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I think he was looking for $18 million last year.

He got $2.5 on what was essentially a 1 year deal.

He had a foot that no one knew was healthly or not.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
He had a foot that no one knew was healthly or not.

That and he has a long history of ridiculous quotes. He's a Postons client, afterall.

I'm not saying he'll be a Cowboy. I'm not saying I want him as a Cowboy. I'd almost prefer to sign Marcus Coleman to the cheap for a year or two and go with a rookie in the middle rounds if value is there to groom behind him. I'm just saying he's not going to be a high dollar free agent.