Article on how predictable Cowboys were on offense

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I would be curious to see how predictable our offense was during our 3 super bowls.

You can be as predictable a you want when you are loaded with superior talent at nearly every position. Name one team that is loaded like those SB winning Cowboys teams? It simply is not done anymore because the era of parity makes it impossible.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
So when Romo kept predicting plays from the booth... were those teams predictable?

Maybe... just maybe... hear me out now... maybe football isn't as complicated as some fans want to think. Maybe offensive plays are dependent on presnap reads and there are certain principles used by every team in the league. Maybe all the crying about predictability is just fans trying to explain why certain plays fail when they aren't executed well.
Pretty sure Romo knows the playbook.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So what happens to the Eagles if Garrett was at the helm there instead of Pederson and Jason Peters, Carson Wentz, Jordan Hicks, etc, get injured? Does he find a way to win games if everything isn't perfect? This is the chatter you hear on Dallas radio. Oh if everything is perfect the team looks great, but if any major adjustments are required, the team falls flat on its face.

FYI the schedule in 2016 was extremely easy as well, that was a huge factor.

We know the answer to this.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So when Romo kept predicting plays from the booth... were those teams predictable?

Maybe... just maybe... hear me out now... maybe football isn't as complicated as some fans want to think. Maybe offensive plays are dependent on presnap reads and there are certain principles used by every team in the league. Maybe all the crying about predictability is just fans trying to explain why certain plays fail when they aren't executed well.

Yeah, if you spend any time listening to Romo you can pick up a lot of information. He was doing a bit for some company where they were talking to him live during the Denver vs. Carolina Super Bowl and he was explaining the type of offensive plays that needed to be ran to attack certain defensive looks.

He mentioned on another occasion the type of "inside information" people who came to his fantasy convention in Vegas would received. For example, if you were thinking of drafting Jason Witten they would inform you of when you would want to start him based upon opponent because he would be utilized more when facing certain teams due to scheme. Other games you would want to sit him because he probably wouldn't get as many looks.

They all know the tendencies of the opponent. They have plenty of tape. I have no problem with being predictable. I have a problem when they get too cute for their own good, like throwing 3 straight times inside the 5 instead of punching the other team in the mouth.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Did he know the playbook for the other teams he covered? All you have to do is watch tape to understand each teams tendencies.

everybody has tendencies. however, there is a difference between tendencies and rushing from a 2-TE formation 100% of the time when you are within the defense's 35 yard line. stuff like that is plain stupid and shows the coaches do not self-scout.

Roland

Reaction score
Switzer is a rookie transitioning to a pro WR which is among the hardest transitions in football for a rookie. Besides that he was taking on return duties and had a very productive vet in front of him. Pointing to his lack of production or his lack of usage in a run heavy offense seems....weird.
I am hoping that Switzer gets more plays this year. Everyone is clamoring for less passes to Witten. Maybe more 4 wide sets with Switzer. Put him on the opposite side of Dez. If the safety shades to Dez, send Switzer downfield. That boy is fast!

waldoputty

Reaction score
I am hoping that Switzer gets more plays this year. Everyone is clamoring for less passes to Witten. Maybe more 4 wide sets with Switzer. Put him on the opposite side of Dez. If the safety shades to Dez, send Switzer downfield. That boy is fast!

actually switzer runs ~4.5
but there are rumors of more wr's and less te's

sulu1701

Reaction score
There are usually 2 reasons why a team is very predictable on offense:

1. The offensive coordinator and HC don’t care if the defense know what we’re doing, our offense is so good, we believe we can be successful anyway.

2. Our HC and offensive coaches are incapable of being creative enough to operate outside of their own perameters.
I'll take door number 2

Haimerej

Reaction score
everybody has tendencies. however, there is a difference between tendencies and rushing from a 2-TE formation 100% of the time when you are within the defense's 35 yard line. stuff like that is plain stupid and shows the coaches do not self-scout.

How's it stupid if it works? They're one of the better red zone teams over the last few years.

waldoputty

Reaction score
How's it stupid if it works? They're one of the better red zone teams over the last few years.

it is stupid because they are not doing as well as they can, and it is easy to fix.
certainly one less in the box does make things easier?