Article on how predictable Cowboys were on offense

waldoputty

Reaction score
players complained about how predictable the offense was. this article did a nice job of quantifying how predictable there were:
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...revealing-stat-tendencies-of-cowboys-offense/

Some highlights which the articles went into depth:
2) Inside the opponent’s 35-yard line with 2+ tight ends attached to the formation, Dallas ran the rock 88.9 percent of the time.
3) Inside the opponent’s 35-yard line, the Cowboys ran 100% of the time when in a straight I or offset I-formation.
6) With less than three minutes remaining in a half, the Cowboys ran 100% of the time when using multiple tight ends or multiple running backs.
7) Dallas passed 74.8% of the time when there was a bunch, stack, or couple as part of the formation.

Last edited:

pansophy

Reaction score
I would be curious to see how predictable our offense was during our 3 super bowls.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I would be curious to see how predictable our offense was during our 3 super bowls.

I would be curious to see how we rank ("tendencies" per the article) with the 2017 playoff teams. It would be a heck of a lot of work to out together though.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
No team can assemble that kind of talent any more in the salary cap era, so it is not comparable.

Thank you, thank you and thank you. People that bring that up is really missing the boat on how good a talented team that was.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Those three Super Bowl offenses were very predictable.

The problem for defenses is they still couldn't stop it.

And we had a larger wallet.

Now you're seeing teams throw passes to Quarterbacks in the Superbowl to try and get an edge. Bending the rules with plays like rub routes. Hurry up offenses at random. Anything to get an edge.

Except in Dallas where we are trying to replicate 1992.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nobody complained with our run heavy offense in 2016.

I wonder why?

It's not the run heavy part that bothers me.

It's the playing into our tendencies that bother me.

In this league you have to stay ahead of things.

In 2014 we came out with a power run game which was the complete opposite of the pass happy Garrett offense.

2015 Romo was injured, they got rid of Murray, and had a year of tendencies.

2016 Dak and Zeke changed things up. Teams weren't ready for them.

2017.. Year of tendencies and shut down everything we like to do.

The coaches need to stay ahead of things and keep defenders thinking but instead defenders know exactly what Dallas will do based on their tendencies.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does this compare with how predictable we were in 2016 I wonder?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are usually 2 reasons why a team is very predictable on offense:

1. The offensive coordinator and HC don’t care if the defense know what we’re doing, our offense is so good, we believe we can be successful anyway.

2. Our HC and offensive coaches are incapable of being creative enough to operate outside of their own perameters.