Article on the Eagles roster building that is applicable to the Cowboys

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Want to know why the roster is often imbalanced and we seemingly have clear holes each season? It's the fact we continue to sit out FA for impact players and instead believe (despite the constant failures) that the draft will solve all our problems.

The Cowboys typically give themselves little room or flexibility come draft time. They head into the offseason with clear needs and instead of trying to address some with good FAs and give themselves some flexibility come draft time, they often, instead, have to focus on certain positions for sure and it can lead to taking a need over a quality player.

It's maddening and frustrating. Here is a blurb about Roseman and the Eagles. Now sure, they didn't fill all their needs in the offseason with top notch FAs. White is nothing but a stop gap type at LB, for example. But nevertheless by adding the players they did at positions that were clear needs, they now can be more liberal in the draft and often take quality over need. We, however, have done nothing in FA to address OL issues, or the RB spot, or the DT spot, for example. So it will not be surprising to see us draft an OL at 1 and then force a pick on a TB in the 2nd. Because we've tied our own hands.
Great insight.
We have an incompetent front office.
Until that gets corrected we are at too much of a competitive disadvantage to ever compete for a championship.

Mannix

Reaction score
Skip dead nutz 100% correct.....again....give it up to him!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
Skip dead nutz 100% correct.....again....give it up to him!!!

Lol, at watching Skip's show. Do you watch the George Jefferson show with Stepen A.? Do you get those channels with ME TV in the package?

plasticman

Reaction score
Why is there this perception that the Eagles are better at drafting than the Cowboys? That absolutely isn't true.

And again, there is a reason the Eagles are active in veteran free agency. They don't have a choice. They've whiffed on draft picks so often in the past ten seasons that they are forced to find and pay for talent elsewhere.

Let's look at the past ten seasons. The Eagles have drafted five players that made a total of seven Pro Bowls. Meanwhile, the Cowboys have drafted 15 players that accounted for a total of 36 Pro Bowls.

Yes! Eagles 5, Cowboys 15......Eagles 7, Cowboys 38.

The reason the Eagles advance farther in the playoffs isn't about talent, it has always been about coaching and management. Simply put, the Eagles know how to maximize their talent and opportunities for most of the past decade.

The Cowboys have wasted so many opportunities. They have been so close and the difference is in the skill level, commitment and attitude of their front office. The Cowboys are superior in drafting talent but fall short in utilizing this advantage to their benefit.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Eagles were embarrassed in the playoffs last season. However they got to that point who cares? Standing pat with that roster was not going to improve their fortunes next season. They are trying to address the many holes in their roster. The Cowboys seem content to “run it back”. And before you say “but the draft”, my point is they’re in a better draft posture than Dallas. No one here cares who they signed. It doesn’t matter if they’re terrible. It’s teams like the 49ers and Chiefs that our going to the Super Bowl. Not the Eagles. But my god, at least try to match up with big boys. There’s no trophy for beating Philadelphia.
It absolutely doesn't matter if the Eagles are in a better draft posture, the Cowboys have been dominating them for a decade in the draft. In the past ten drafts the Cowboys lead in 1st team All-Pros 13-0, they lead in Pro Bowl selections 35-7, and they lead in starting seasons 113-74.

The same is true for the 49ers. As the level of talent goes, the Cowboys still lead them in every draft category over the past ten seasons. Ditto against the Chiefs.

Again, the real issue has never been about talent. The issue is poor management and squandering the real opportunities that existed.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It absolutely doesn't matter if the Eagles are in a better draft posture, the Cowboys have been dominating them for a decade in the draft. In the past ten drafts the Cowboys lead in 1st team All-Pros 13-0, they lead in Pro Bowl selections 35-7, and they lead in starting seasons 113-74.

The same is true for the 49ers. As the level of talent goes, the Cowboys still lead them in every draft category over the past ten seasons. Ditto against the Chiefs.

Again, the real issue has never been about talent. The issue is poor management and squandering the real opportunities that existed.
So you’re saying being able to draft well cannot be counted on to compete well with teams that reach the playoffs?

plasticman

Reaction score
So you’re saying being able to draft well cannot be counted on to compete well with teams that reach the playoffs?
On the contrary, I'm saying that they had enough talent to where they should have played in a few Super Bowls over the last ten years. They didn't because they cannot match the determination, commitment, and intensity of other good, but less talented playoff teams.

This is due to a culture that is satisfied with being good with a false sense of entitlement that is personified in the way Jerry Jones operates the franchise.

The only time an owner's name should be relevant and his voice heard is when they hand him a Lombardi and give him an opportunity to thank everyone.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
On the contrary, I'm saying that they had enough talent to where they should have played in a few Super Bowls over the last ten years. They didn't because they cannot match the determination, commitment, and intensity of other good, but less talented playoff teams.

This is due to a culture that is satisfied with being good with a false sense of entitlement that is personified in the way Jerry Jones operates the franchise.

The only time an owner's name should be relevant and his voice heard is when they hand him a Lombardi and give him an opportunity to thank everyone.
The only entitlement I see is your demonstrated entitlement for a Lombardi and Super Bowl appearances here.

Twisting being content with less than what you claim your entitled to as being entitled is nice doublespeak though.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Yeah the Eagles made some questionable decisions. Paying Barkley Zeke money, paying the Jet free agent pass rusher, and bringing back Garderner-Johnson with a big contract. They still haven’t replaced their two legacy linemen and the secondary is a mess. I think they way overpaid Hurts as well.
They have replaced their 3 big time lineman all ready. Doesn't mean they'll pan out but Jalen Carter for Cox and Cam Jurgens for Kelce

plasticman

Reaction score
The only entitlement I see is your demonstrated entitlement for a Lombardi and Super Bowl appearances here.

Twisting being content with less than what you claim your entitled to as being entitled is nice doublespeak though.
"Demonstrated entitlement"?

But I'm the one using "doublespeak"?

I'm the one being deliberately ambiguous bv using obscure language?

I think I'm being pretty direct. I make a claim. I then attempt to justify this claim by backing it up with facts and statistical information. I'm not part of any conspiracy to corrupt the morals of our youth today. I have no destructive agenda. I have no obsessive need to be the undisputed authority on everything Dallas Cowboy.

I just want to discuss my favorite sports team with other fans in order to get more information and to share information. Can we go back to doing that?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
On the contrary, I'm saying that they had enough talent to where they should have played in a few Super Bowls over the last ten years.