Article on the Eagles roster building that is applicable to the Cowboys

rambo2

Reaction score
I follow it enough to know they’ll have to use their first round pick on one of those three because all will be selected before the Cowboys’ second pick. And it’s a rare rookie who is a capable center in the NFL.
They can trade back and draft Zach Frazier or take the Georgia center in round 3.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Taking a one year look is typical excuse making
Over the last 10 years with the same GMs which team has been more successful?
Excuse to who? You?

I get you need to blame someone for the above but I reject your entire paradigm.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They can trade back and draft Zach Frazier or take the Georgia center in round 3.
I think you’re minimizing the difficulty of playing center effectively in the NFL. It takes years for interior offensive lineman to become significant contributors, particularly centers. You just can’t reach into the college ranks, draft one, and then decide you’ve improved the spot vs. prior year. And you’re ****** sure not finding an immediate all-pro in the 3rd round. Even from the University of Georgia. Some fans are a fan as in “fanatic” and some are fans as in “fantasize”.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think you’re minimizing the difficulty of playing center effectively in the NFL. It takes years for interior offensive lineman to become significant contributors, particularly centers. You just can’t reach into the college ranks, draft one, and then decide you’ve improved the spot vs. prior year. And you’re ****** sure not finding an immediate all-pro in the 3rd round. Even from the University of Georgia. Some fans are a fan as in “fanatic” and some are fans as in “fantasize”.
Some people think they are fans and they are casual observers.

rambo2

Reaction score
Let's see what happens.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Tyron Smith
Tyler Biadasz
Armstrong
Fowler
Gallimore
Hankins
Pollard

Sorry. 7.

Look at that list. Starting LT C DE DT RB.

You replacing 5 starters in the draft? You expecting them to go 7 for 7? My God man.

Wake up.
Gallup was a starter

plasticman

Reaction score
Why would we care about the drafting and free agent strategy of a team that was lucky to win the close ones last season only to flatline in December and January.

The Eagles lost six of their last seven and looked tired while doing it. Maybe if they didn't fill their roster in with chubby old veterans they might have had enough energy to make it through the last two months of the season.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why would we care about the drafting and free agent strategy of a team that was lucky to win the close ones last season only to flatline in December and January.

The Eagles lost six of their last seven and looked tired while doing it. Maybe if they didn't fill their roster in with chubby old veterans they might have had enough energy to make it through the last two months of the season.
Both teams came up with nothing in the playoffs, but the Eagles draft in front of the Cowboys once in the first round, twice in the second round. The Eagles locked down the guys on their rosters they want to keep. Took a risk on an expensive RB. Signed free agents they could afford. They seem to be trying to be better than the team that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs. It seems like they think they were not good enough to compete with the 49ers. Because they’re not. The Cowboys aren’t even trying to compete with the 49ers.

plasticman

Reaction score
Both teams came up with nothing in the playoffs, but the Eagles draft in front of the Cowboys once in the first round, twice in the second round. The Eagles locked down the guys on their rosters they want to keep. Took a risk on an expensive RB. Signed free agents they could afford. They seem to be trying to be better than the team that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs. It seems like they think they were not good enough to compete with the 49ers. Because they’re not. The Cowboys aren’t even trying to compete with the 49ers.
Last season 22 Eagles players started 10 or more games for them. Only 12 of them were drafted by the Eagles. There were 3 undrafted players and 7 that were drafted by other teams. Of the 7 veteran free agents, one was a former 1st round pick, 5 were 2nd round picks, and one was a 3rd round pick.

Last season the Cowboys also had 22 players with 10 or more starts. The Cowboys drafted 15 of them and 6 were drafted by other teams. They were 3 former 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 7th round pick. There was one undrafted player.

The glaring difference I saw between the two rosters was the abundance of mid-round starters for the Cowboys and lack thereof from the Eagles. The Cowboys have 9 starters they drafted beyond the 2nd round while the Eagles have 4.

The Eagles engage in the veteran free agent market because they must. Their lack of success in the mid-rounds of the draft has forced them to look more for outside help. The players the Eagles sign through veteran free agency have big names but they rarely end up with big numbers for them.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Last season 22 Eagles players started 10 or more games for them. Only 12 of them were drafted by the Eagles. There were 3 undrafted players and 7 that were drafted by other teams. Of the 7 veteran free agents, one was a former 1st round pick, 5 were 2nd round picks, and one was a 3rd round pick.

Last season the Cowboys also had 22 players with 10 or more starts. The Cowboys drafted 15 of them and 6 were drafted by other teams. They were 3 former 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 7th round pick. There was one undrafted player.

The glaring difference I saw between the two rosters was the abundance of mid-round starters for the Cowboys and lack thereof from the Eagles. The Cowboys have 9 starters they drafted beyond the 2nd round while the Eagles have 4.

The Eagles engage in the veteran free agent market because they must. Their lack of success in the mid-rounds of the draft has forced them to look more for outside help. The players the Eagles sign through veteran free agency have big names but they rarely end up with big numbers for them.
The glaring difference to me was that the Eagles team quit on the season before the season was over.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

The Eagles were embarrassed in the playoffs last season. However they got to that point who cares? Standing pat with that roster was not going to improve their fortunes next season. They are trying to address the many holes in their roster. The Cowboys seem content to “run it back”. And before you say “but the draft”, my point is they’re in a better draft posture than Dallas. No one here cares who they signed. It doesn’t matter if they’re terrible. It’s teams like the 49ers and Chiefs that our going to the Super Bowl. Not the Eagles. But my god, at least try to match up with big boys. There’s no trophy for beating Philadelphia.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Eagles were embarrassed in the playoffs last season. However they got to that point who cares? Standing pat with that roster was not going to improve their fortunes next season. They are trying to address the many holes in their roster. The Cowboys seem content to “run it back”. And before you say “but the draft”, my point is they’re in a better draft posture than Dallas. No one here cares who they signed. It doesn’t matter if they’re terrible. It’s teams like the 49ers and Chiefs that our going to the Super Bowl. Not the Eagles. But my god, at least try to match up with big boys. There’s no trophy for beating Philadelphia.
the Cowboys are intent to run it back it definitely seems like but the difference is your paying Hurts $51M AAV and prorating it down the road while the Cowboys are looking to get rid of their overpaid albatross.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
the Cowboys are intent to run it back it definitely seems like but the difference is your paying Hurts $51M AAV and prorating it down the road while the Cowboys are looking to get rid of their overpaid albatross.
Whatever the Eagles are paying Jalen Hurts is not going to help the Dallas Cowboys be more competitive with the best teams in the NFC. At halftime of the Cowboys/Packers playoff game was there a single Cowboys fan that said “yes, but the Eagles are paying Hurts $51M AAV”? I’m betting no one cared about Hurts or the Eagles at that point in time. Because it didn't matter then and doesn’t matter now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Whatever the Eagles are paying Jalen Hurts is not going to help the Dallas Cowboys be more competitive with the best teams in the NFC. At halftime of the Cowboys/Packers playoff game was there a single Cowboys fan that said “yes, but the Eagles are paying Hurts $51M AAV”? I’m betting no one cared about Hurts or the Eagles at that point in time. Because it didn't matter then and doesn’t matter now.
You were comparing the two clubs and I was pointing out the substantive difference. Nice red herring.

You have to know that those prorations from restructures will come home to roost. When looking at your page on sportrac it seems that you restructured everyone because just about everyone on the Eagles roster is making the minimum salary this season.