Article: The Dumbsday Defense

burmafrd

Reaction score
Like how he just brushes off Henry not playing and TNew being less then 100%. If that had not happened, there is no way the Pats hang 48 on us.

thewireman

Reaction score
Yeah the Defense is average but the offense has to step up to and score in the 1st quarter...oh and stop with the penalties. 12 penalties for over 100 yards agaist the top team in the leage, yeah thats gonna work in your favor:mad:

Coach Wade chould fine players everytime the force a penaltie, maybe it will help cut it down

khiladi

Reaction score
You can rant all you want about what he says, but like Parcells said. You are what you are. The Cowboys have gotten eaten alive against teams that can actually throw the ball. They've had six games to *fix* that issues and obviously have not done so.

So of the Cowboys suck, than what does that mean for the Patriots win? All the teams they played sucked... But yeah, they are the greatest offense to ever step foot in the history of this universe.... Brady could out-wit even Superman...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;1717003 said:
So of the Cowboys suck, than what does that mean for the Patriots win? All the teams they played sucked... But yeah, they are the greatest offense to ever step foot in the history of this universe.... Brady could out-wit even Superman...

What does the Patriots have to do with this. I said the Cowboys have two clear flaws that they have been unable to address. If they do not address them, they aren't likely to win a SuperBowl. The Patriots already proved they could exploit those flaws.

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;1717022 said:
What does the Patriots have to do with this. I said the Cowboys have two clear flaws that they have been unable to address. If they do not address them, they aren't likely to win a SuperBowl. The Patriots already proved they could exploit those flaws.

Did Nate Jones cover the receiver in the slot against NYG? Last time I checked, the 'flaws' of the Giants game was unrelated to how the Patriots beat us...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;1717031 said:
Did Nate Jones cover the receiver in the slot against NYG? Last time I checked, the 'flaws' of the Giants game was unrelated to how the Patriots beat us...

The Giants also lacked Osi, Justin Tuck, Strahan was not in shape, and their starting RB went out also. Who said if the Giants had there best defensive players in game 1 they wouldn't have came out on top?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;1717031 said:

It's not just about the Pats. We have some tough games ahead. This article points out some valid points that need to be addressed. What are you going to say in a few weeks if things still don't click? It's only week nine?
We have McNabb, Manning (who torched us) and favre ahead.
Not to mention the Skins who will play us tough. Five and one could go south quickly if things aren't fixed.

Every team has injuries, the great ones overcome them.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1716344 said:
Maybe not the worst ever but the guy has a point.

Hell I was embarrassed for our defense last Sunday. Any Cowboy fan would be. That was downright shameful.

Many were embarrassed.
Others, with their heads in the sand, gave us the "it was the Patriots, what did you expect?" line.
It's fun when our defenses manhandle cream puffs but embarrassing when we go up against a stellar team like the Patriots and are are outcoached, outhustled and outmanned.

I can still hear the plaintive cry: All is well! All is well!:)

Iago33

Reaction score
I won't name names, but I think "The Dumbsday Defense" is a good name for this group. We need a Dat and/or a Darren Woodson who knows what's going on.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Iago33;1717141 said:
I won't name names, but I think "The Dumbsday Defense" is a good name for this group. We need a Dat and/or a Darren Woodson who knows what's going on.

:banghead:

Dat = Fan Favorite
Dat != Great Linebacker

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;1717037 said:
The Giants also lacked Osi, Justin Tuck, Strahan was not in shape, and their starting RB went out also. Who said if the Giants had there best defensive players in game 1 they wouldn't have came out on top?

The point is the Giants scored against the Cowboys in a different way than the Patriots. Dallas had rectified to a degree those problems that were apparent in the Giants game. It was Plaxico Burress that killed us. Why do you think Randy Moss didn't kill us this time around? If Wade didn't fix anything or address certain pass issues, than Randy Moss should have had at least 3 touchdowns. The only TD he had was because of a breakdown in a new coverage. It is obvious we got better in certain respects. So when you claim the following:

They've had six games to *fix* that issues and obviously have not done so.

It isn't true... Dallas has made adjustments and the Patriots got away with a lot based upon Nate Jones, which is a totally different situation regarding the Giants. The fact is Wade has adjusted and will adjust after this game. To argue he hasn't addressed problems over the course of a season is absurd.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
nyc;1717037 said:
The Giants also lacked Osi, Justin Tuck, Strahan was not in shape, and their starting RB went out also.

Tuck, Umenyiora and Strahan all played in that game. And Ward outperformed Jacobs after he came in.

Who said if the Giants had there best defensive players in game 1 they wouldn't have came out on top?

The only guy that was missing for any part of the game was Umenyiora. Romo has been sacked eight times all season. Umenyiora has one sack in five games when he's not facing Winston Justice. Do you really think he would put so much pressure on Romo that he'd be able to prevent their secondary from getting torched? (Romo averaged 14.4 yards per ATTEMPT and threw four TD passes in only 24 attempts.) And keep in mind that we had the ball deep in the Giants' territory at the end of the game and ran the clock out instead of pulling a Belichick. We could have won by more than 10 if we had wanted.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1717251 said:
Tuck, Umenyiora and Strahan all played in that game. And Ward outperformed Jacobs after he came in.

I swore Tuck left the game also. As for Unmenyiora, say what you want, he is their best pass rusher. Strahan wasn't in football shape. As for Jacobs and Ward. Jacobs only had six rushing attempts before being injured. Ward broke a 44 yard run that skews his numbers a bit. Subtract it for the game and he averaged 3.75YPC compared to Jacobs 4.3YPC. Of course it's not fair to subtract that 44 yard run, but then again lets compare over a longer haul since it's not fair to judge Jacobs on six rushes.

Code:
   [b]Player              Att            Yards          Long     YPC[/b]
Brandon Jacobs:         39             212            20      5.4
Derrick Ward:           94             421            44      4.5

To me, it appears Jacobs is the better back. Not only does he average more yards, he did it with his longest run being less than half of Ward's longest of 44 yarder he got against Dallas.

EDIT: I would just like to say, if the Cowboys play the way they did in the first game of the season, they will probably lose against the Giants. The Giants are playing better and this one will be in the Meadowlands.

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;1717326 said:
EDIT: I would just like to say, if the Cowboys play the way they did in the first game of the season, they will probably lose against the Giants. The Giants are playing better and this one will be in the Meadowlands.

Irrespective of records, NFC East rivals always tends to have tough games against each other....

sacase

Reaction score
What is funny to me is that people are calling the pats offense possibly one of the best ever. Well our D didn't do to bad considering we are missing 2 starters and one CB is not 100%. Our O is missing a player that will make other teams pay for doubling TO. How bad can this team actually be if we are hanging with one of the best teams ever assembled with a squad that is far from 100%