As amazing As Tyron Smith is it is time to find the change of tackle

Tussinman

Reaction score
There has been a gray area for the past 6-7 years.
I wouldn't even call 2017 to 2019 gray or confusing because it was pretty obvious what was happening. he was playing through pain because he and the team thought it was their window to win and he didn't want to ruin it by having a 1.5 year surgery process in between that.

The situation wasn't optimal but it was pretty clear cut what was happening.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know. That was my point. Since it was a corrective surgery it will either work or it won't. I don't foresee there being this weird confusing gray area where he gets strung along

There's also the possibility that it does work but he retires anyways. He has the accolades to get into the Hall of Fame and he has more than enough money. kind of like how Frederick could have probably kept playing but chose not to
There has been no inclination that Tyron is even considering retirement, whole different situation then Frederick, who career was is serious jepordary.

Tussinman

Reaction score
There has been no inclination that Tyron is even considering retirement.
I don't understand why you keep saying this. It literally changes nothing that I have stated ? (surgery will work or it won't, no weird gray area going into the draft).

The OP was in regards to tackle situation in the Spring and I'm merely pointing out we should have a good glimpse of post surgery during that time.

I literally have no idea why my post is confusing for you or why you keep fixating on the retirement portion of my post (I never said retirement is likely, it's merely the logical alternative if the surgery doesn't work).

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
I'll take a 70% Tyron Smith in terms of both ability and availability over anybody else the Cowboys can get. It's not like other teams are going to get generous with their starting or backup Left Tackles, those guys don't grow on trees.

Tyron time is up when he either retires or the Cowboys find someone better...,just like every other single player in the NFL, hurt or not, old or not.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't understand why you keep saying this. It literally changes nothing that I have stated ? (surgery will work or it won't, no weird gray area going into the draft).

The OP was in regards to tackle situation in the Spring and I'm merely pointing out we should have a good glimpse of post surgery during that time.

I literally have no idea why my post is confusing for you or why you keep fixating on the retirement portion of my post. It's pretty clear the message I was conveying
We will get more clarity in the off-season.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dallas moving on from Tyron, is not about him wanting to retire, or go to another team. It is what's best for the team that counts. You do not have to hate a player to let him know his services are no longer needed, this is a business.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Luckily it's going to be a pretty clear cut verdict.

The surgery either works or he retires, I don't really see there being a confusing gray area

Exactly.. The problem has been pretty much the same over the last 3 years.. if the surgery took care of it we get 5-6 more years of a top 5 tackle .. If it doesn't we need to get aggressive seeking his replacement. A third or fourth round pick should suffice.. But you don't dump a great player like Tyron if there is any chance you can get him back.