As NFLPA Braces for 18-Game Push, Plenty of Younger Players have No Problem With It

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It seems more of a possibility now than ever.......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ty-of-younger-players-have-no-problem-with-it

As NFLPA braces for 18-game push, plenty of younger players have no problem with it​

Published June 20, 2024 12:39 PM

The NFL has wanted to expand the regular season to 18 games for years. It accepted 17 as a compromise, a stepping stone toward more.

And it’s just a matter of time before the NFL makes its move to move the line between regular-season and preseason games from 17 and three to 18 and two.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL Players Association is already bracing for it. And one of the things the NFLPA has to ponder is whether and to what extent the players want it.

There’s a sense, we’re told, that plenty of young players are fine with it. Their votes count the same as the older players who bristle at adding to the workload.

Although comments from the Commissioner in late April boosted the conversation, the truth is that the issue first returned to the front burner when Browns G.M. Andrew Berry explained on PFT Live from the Scouting Combine that Cleveland had proposed a two-week delay in the trade deadline to account for the 17th regular-season game — and in anticipation of an 18th.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...r-rosters-more-players-in-uniform-on-game-day

18 games likely will mean bigger rosters, more players in uniform on game day​

Published June 20, 2024 04:44 PM

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Increase roster size from 53 to 60. Keep the 48 man game day rosters Limit the number of games any player may participate in to 16. Add a bye week, which the owners want anyway. The NFLPA would certainly agree to it. Over 200 more players on rosters, huge win for the union. 16 game limit takes away the additional injury argument.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Increase roster size from 53 to 60. Keep the 48 man game day rosters Limit the number of games any player may participate in to 16. Add a bye week, which the owners want anyway. The NFLPA would certainly agree to it. Over 200 more players on rosters, huge win for the union. 16 game limit takes away the additional injury argument.
I don't see any game limits taking place.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I’ve always felt the season is too long— even at 16 games.

With attention spans shortening, I wonder if this is a good move for future years.

18 games, 3.5 hours per game. Just doesn’t feel like younger generations will have time for that

Chasing6

Reaction score
Scale down preseason games to 2 (if not eliminate them), add an extra bye week for teams and be done with it.
Exactly. Preseason games are a waste of time, but half our fans can't wait to see what Trance does.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
League wide bye weeks, make it fair
I haven't considered that, but yes, that's a great idea. In fact, have 1 of them on Thanksgiving week. Traditionalists will cry about the loss of the holiday game, but I would be on board with it. It would get teams ready for the December push to the playoffs.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Problem with the current training camp rules is that the teams all look sloppy the first two or three weeks in the season. That needs to be changed

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I haven't considered that, but yes, that's a great idea. In fact, have 1 of them on Thanksgiving week. Traditionalists will cry about the loss of the holiday game, but I would be on board with it. It would get teams ready for the December push to the playoffs.
someone finally hears me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm serious hell, someone said awhile ago that there would be no football that week and would cost them money, but hey it is what it is. Make it fair for everyone. I always hate those early bye weeks anyways, damn bye weeks in week 5 and you have all those games left to play??? Nahhhh, week 9 bye!

Flamma

Reaction score
A 17th game wasn't needed. An 18th would be needed even less. Just like a 7th playoff team wasn't needed, but they'll probably add an 8th. It's not improving the game. They just see more money. I still don't see it happening anytime soon.

They're not going to limit the games players can play. Not unless they make QBs, kickers and punters exempt. Even then, when do you decide not to play your star WR or RB?

They're not going to remove Thanksgiving day games. You know it's not going to happen.

Damn, I'm being a real killjoy today. :p

John813

Reaction score
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I’ve always felt the season is too long— even at 16 games.

With attention spans shortening, I wonder if this is a good move for future years.

18 games, 3.5 hours per game. Just doesn’t feel like younger generations will have time for that

If it's good for fantasy football then no one, even young will care imo
Outside of fans of teams that truly suck/tanking

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scale down preseason games to 2 (if not eliminate them), add an extra bye week for teams and be done with it.
I would do away with pre-season games all together. They are an outdated part of the game anyway. They used to be needed when pro football players were part timers and needed to get in shape. Now being an NFL athlete requires being in shape year round.

And PS games are essentially exhibition games. Don’t count in the standings, there’s zero game planning done and only about 25% of the playbook and defensive schemes are used. Nowadays most skill position players don’t even play anymore in ps.

College FB does not use ps games. They have about 4-6 weeks of practice prep and the regular season starts. The only reason those games are still in the NFL is the almighty dollar.