As NFLPA Braces for 18-Game Push, Plenty of Younger Players have No Problem With It

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Remember - the league is worried about injuries so we have to ban basic tackle techniques that are as old as football itself.

BUT - the league isn't worried about more injuries when the topic of extra games and extra cash comes up.

plymkr

Reaction score
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I’ve always felt the season is too long— even at 16 games.

With attention spans shortening, I wonder if this is a good move for future years.

18 games, 3.5 hours per game. Just doesn’t feel like younger generations will have time for that
You’re dead on accurate. The average attention span is 3.5 minutes. The league is counting on due hards to watch the game and everyone else to use social media. So they’re cool with watering down the league by extending the season because that will give them a couple extra weeks to allow podcasters, influencers, and talking heads to provide the 3.5 minutes that appease attention spans of the casual fan.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Remember - the league is worried about injuries so we have to ban basic tackle techniques that are as old as football itself.

BUT - the league isn't worried about more injuries when the topic of extra games and extra cash comes up.
When teams play 3 games in 11 days they obvious have no care for injuries. They care about ratings.

Flamma

Reaction score
Older players are the ones that have been getting paid their entire careers. They make enough money that they dont need the extra game. I heard a comment yesterday that was perfect. Today/s players want to show up to work on Zoom. They try to get less and less time with the team. No practice days, no contact days. They want to play football, they want to get paid for being an NFL player, but they dont want to actually do the work required to be an nFL player.

18 games has been done in Canada since 1986 and Ive never heard of one of them dying due to their schedue.
I'm sure they wouldn't die after 30 games either. But is it necessary? Adding games and playoffs teams at this point is about one thing, extra money. Not what's better for the game. As a fan I am only concerned about what is better for the game. I realize the owners have a different opinion. That doesn't mean I support their opinion.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm sure they wouldn't die after 30 games either. But is it necessary? Adding games and playoffs teams at this point is about one thing, extra money. Not what's better for the game. As a fan I am only concerned about what is better for the game. I realize the owners have a different opinion. That doesn't mean I support their opinion.
More football for me is better for the game. And yes, there is no clue that money is the driving force. They dont have to be mutually exclusive.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I haven't considered that, but yes, that's a great idea. In fact, have 1 of them on Thanksgiving week. Traditionalists will cry about the loss of the holiday game, but I would be on board with it. It would get teams ready for the December push to the playoffs.
Thanksgiving Day games are probably huge cash cows for the league. I don't see them canceling.

Flamma

Reaction score
More football for me is better for the game. And yes, there is no clue that money is the driving force. They dont have to be mutually exclusive.
More football is better for you, not necessarily better for the game. Adding playoff teams and more regular season games is for money, and no other reason. Mainly because they aren't necessary.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
More football is better for you, not necessarily better for the game. Adding playoff teams and more regular season games is for money, and no other reason. Mainly because they aren't necessary.
well a 12 game regular season would work also.

Flamma

Reaction score
well a 12 game regular season would work also.
I know. But we can all come to a reasonable conclusion, can we not? There is a point in almost everything that there is excess. We can argue how many games is too many. But at some point there are too many. League's make money off of playoffs and games. Does MLB need 162 games? Of course not. Every league packs as many games as possible to make money.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Baseball only went from 154 to 162 back in 1960. Not much of a jump and none since.
NBA I think is the most ridiculous with an 82 game season and like two months of playoffs
NHL (who cares anymore as its a minor sport)
As regards the NFL, more money is all that matters to everyone; no matter what the player union says