As time passes, Cowboys contract with Ezekiel Elliott looks even worse

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is my guess. If he has a really good year this upcoming season, they might keep him another year. Because Dallas saves 5M in cap space by releasing him. So it's costing Dallas 11M regardless of what they do. I think there's zero chance he's here in 2024

Agree ....100%
They are watching to see if he has enough left for this season AND next

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is my guess. If he has a really good year this upcoming season, they might keep him another year. Because Dallas saves 5M in cap space by releasing him. So it's costing Dallas 11M regardless of what they do. I think there's zero chance he's here in 2024.
Agreed. If he has a solid year I expect them to restructure his deal. Reduce his base salary with a bonus and add 2 years to his deal.
Could see them do that once or twice to get all the tread of his tires at low cap costs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yea, if this season flops or Zeke is hurt, doesn’t produce, etc.. he’s gone.

I think they already know Pollard will likely price himself out of our range. So next season could come down to Zeke and a draft pick but the straw I think is stirring their thought process here is making sure we have a complete RB. Why is that important.......one word/person Dak. They are to protect that investment at all costs.

Flamma

Reaction score
Pollard's market value right now is 6.3M. If Dallas gave him an extension, I wouldn't go more than 2 years 10-12M. Because he's 25 already. He's not lasting much longer. I'm only saying that because I'd rather not waste a pick in the top 4 rounds on a RB until it's absolutely necessary.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm not sure Jerry and/or Stephen are sure what they will do with him right now. A lot depends on how he plays this season IMO, hence Jerry calling for him to be the focal point of the offense. Notice he didn't say, Pollard but Zeke.
Zeke is still their best RB which is why he is the focal point.
Pollard is more explosive but can't handle the 20 snaps a game plus protection blocking duties.
No need for the front office to do anything with Zeke for 11 month so they can wait and see how it goes this year.
If he has a top 5 RB type season they likely kick the can a year down the road.
If he is banged up or tails off more this year then he likely simply gets released.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pollard's market value right now is 6.3M. If Dallas gave him an extension, I wouldn't go more than 2 years 10-12M. Because he's 25 already. He's not lasting much longer. I'm only saying that because I'd rather not waste a pick in the top 4 rounds on a RB until it's absolutely necessary.

The problem with Pollard is I don't think Jerry and Stephen trust him enough as a starter. By that, I mean being a complete RB......we know he can run and catch but protecting Dak is critical. Is he a starter on another team, another offense, absolutely, no question.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Do we really need another Zeke dis-like thread? :laugh:

How many times has then been hashed over and over. Saturday can't get here fast enough. At least we will get the ...this team sucks ...threads for a few days.
That’s funny. Good Counter post would be Romo vs Dak. Who is better. That one hasn’t been done is a few weeks

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm not sure Jerry and/or Stephen are sure what they will do with him right now. A lot depends on how he plays this season IMO, hence Jerry calling for him to be the focal point of the offense. Notice he didn't say, Pollard but Zeke.
Elliott makes $12.4 Million per season verses Pollard's $800 hundred thousand per season. Why wouldn't Jerry want him to be the focal point?! What's crazy? The one whose better is on his last year w/rookie contract. Take a wild guess who will stay & who will be gone in 2023?!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elliott makes $12.4 Million per season verses Pollard's $800 hundred thousand per season. Why wouldn't Jerry want him to be the focal point?! What's crazy? The one whose better is on his last year w/rookie contract. Take a wild guess who will stay & who will be gone in 2023?!

Zeke is far better and more valuable to the offense.
Yes, it is that simple.

starfan1

Reaction score

Haimerej

Reaction score

starfan1

Reaction score
The article is saying they went 4-0 in the last 4 games Zeke didn't play but context is key. Those wins were against the 5-11 NYG in the last game of 2018, then in 2017 against the 6-10 Raiders, the 3-13 NYG, and the 7-9 Skins.

Not exactly wins to brag about.
thought we couldnt win without zeke. and a win is a win Ill take them regardless. tom Brady beat up on patsys for years in the AFC east but you still have to do it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article is saying they went 4-0 in the last 4 games Zeke didn't play but context is key. Those wins were against the 5-11 NYG in the last game of 2018, then in 2017 against the 6-10 Raiders, the 3-13 NYG, and the 7-9 Skins.

Not exactly wins to brag about.
:muttley:

Haimerej

Reaction score
thought we couldnt win without zeke. and a win is a win Ill take them regardless. tom Brady beat up on patsys for years in the AFC east but you still have to do it.

Who said they couldn't win without Zeke?

To elaborate further- the defenses they faced in those 4 games ranked 20th, 23rd, 27th, and 28th. So even their points about better offensive efficiency don't mean much.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Who said they couldn't win without Zeke?

No one said it although its been implied.Hey you can only play whose on your schedule. I agree that the entire team needs to lift their level of play when it gets to playoff time

Take it to the Pound where the other Dogs can play who has the best WOOF WOOF where Dak can pad his garbage stats!!

hate it when actual fact rebutt your nonsense huh?

Haimerej

Reaction score
No one said it although its been implied.Hey you can only play whose on your schedule. I agree that the entire team needs to lift their level of play when it gets to playoff time

The point you responded to was about how bad the offense looked when Zeke was suspended. That definitely played a role in Zeke's negotiations for his contract. Rebutting that with an article trying to say the team was better without Zeke opens the article up to scrutiny. I'm sure every offense looks better when playing against defenses ranked in the lower third of the league. That's why the context is important.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Christian McCafferty has done virtually nothing since he signed his big contract in 2019. He got paid off of one big season. He’s had less than 700 yards rushing the past two seasons combined and only 6 TDs. I said when he signed his contract he’ll never sniff 1300 yards again. Zeke has outplayed him by a long way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember how many fans on this board were saying they wished we had McCafferty instead of Zeke. Lol Didn’t take long for McCafferty’s body to break down. You don’t hear anyone talking about him anymore.

starfan1

Reaction score
The point you responded to was about how bad the offense looked when Zeke was suspended. That definitely played a role in Zeke's negotiations for his contract. Rebutting that with an article trying to say the team was better without Zeke opens the article up to scrutiny. I'm sure every offense looks better when playing against defenses ranked in the lower third of the league. That's why the context is important.

I responded to pappy because he has continued to say that zeke is the engine (im paraphrasing) and hes not. AThe Line is the engine. But dak for as much as yall want to critisize him plays an important part of it. He can win without zeke and regardless of who you play the offense can put up big numbers without zeke.

Zeke didnt get the contract because hes so valuable zeke got the contract because jerrys an idiot he did it with several other cowboys and it ended up being bad contracts.