AsthmaField here, I survived Katrina...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Barely.

I finally got to a place with electricity today. I had to get a dial-up account, but I'm back and ready for some Cowboy news!!!

It's amazing how much I missed this place and the information provided here.

Anyways, I'm really grateful to be alive and able to finally come here! It was a harrowing experience these last two weeks or so on the Mississippi coast.

Questions:

What happened to Burnett? How long will he be out?

We got Peerless Price? Wow.

Who impressed in the game the most? Clearly Bledsoe did well, but who else made plays of note?

Any catch-up info will be greatly appreciated. Good to be back... even with dial-up :eek::

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
welcome back man, gald to hear that you survied hopefully you well get back on your feet soon.

Burnett looks to be out 1-3 weeks, maybe coing back monday

HEnry Key Crayton and BLedsoe impressed me the most

and i think thats it i'm not sure

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll let others give you a recap, but I'm glad you made it out safely and are stable enough to have internet.

Check the Members Zone. I think others were looking for you as well...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Barely.

I finally got to a place with electricity today. I had to get a dial-up account, but I'm back and ready for some Cowboy news!!!

It's amazing how much I missed this place and the information provided here.

Anyways, I'm really grateful to be alive and able to finally come here! It was a harrowing experience these last two weeks or so on the Mississippi coast.

Questions:

What happened to Burnett? How long will he be out?

We got Peerless Price? Wow.

Who impressed in the game the most? Clearly Bledsoe did well, but who else made plays of note?

Any catch-up info will be greatly appreciated. Good to be back... even with dial-up :eek::
Oh man it is great to see you here.

We also acquired Scott Fujita from the Chiefs for a 6th in 06, and conditional 7th in 07.

Burnett should be back this week or next. Minor clean up surgery.

In the game Henry impressed me the most on D. Bledsoe was stellar on O. I wish I could say anyone was a standout on ST, but we won. Hell of a good game too.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Oh man, you totally missed us winning the SB!

Anthony Henry was a monster for us against SD as was Crayton. Petitti did a very good job at RT although he did have a couple of false starts but then so did the other OLs early in the game.

Ware didn't do much nor did Spears or Canty.

Bah, here's what I wrote up on the game:

Had a very busy day yesterday and again this morning so this is coming a bit later than usual.

First off I have to hand it to the Cowboys for winning a close game against a tough opponent when no one in the media, and even very few of the fans, picked them to win, especially in San Diego. I expected a close game and predicted a win for us.

The Boys stuck together and hung in there, played tough, made plays when they had to, and showed a lot of heart. Man it was good to see that again!

OFFENSE:

QB: Bledsoe did everything that was expected of him and other than the fumbled snap (which looked to be Al Johnson's fault) he didn't make any costly mistakes. When he had time he made good throws and hit the receivers where they had the best chance to catch the ball. He completed 75% of his passes and ended up with a 143.4 passer rating which puts him just behind Big Ben as the best performance of the weekend. If he can continue to play like that we will have a great season.

RB: Julius Jones made some tough yards against a very good rushing defense. He didn't have a lot of holes to run through but he did a good job with what he had. San Diego gave up less than 82 rushing yards per game last season and actually improved their defense in the off-season so for Julius to gain 93 against them was huge!

WR: Patrick Crayton certainly confirmed my confidence in him as a real weapon for us yesterday. I wanted to kick Bill in the can for not playing him more last year when he stuck with that zero Dedric Ward instead because I could see that this Crayton kid had something special and he is proving it this year. We may end up seeing a rotation at WR like we do with the D-Line where Crayton and Price come in for Keyshawn and Glenn. Have to see how Price does first though.

Keyshawn came up big with some tough, clutch catches for us. So much for the media's declaration that he and Bledsoe are not on the same page. They sure seemed to click when they needed to yesterday. Glenn also had a couple of nice grabs.

Looking forward to seeing Price play, hopefully he will give us a 4th solid WR and we can rotate these guys to keep them fresh.

TE: Witten didn't get many chances as the Chargers were covering him like a blanket all day. I am not worried about him at all though as he will get a lot of passes thrown his way this season.

O-Line: The O-Line did a pretty good job overall but had a few breakdowns and some dumb penalties early in the game. Rivera got pushed back into Bledsoe on one of the sacks and all of the others had at least one penalty called on them so it wasn't like any one of them stood out. They worked well as a group and played better as the game wore on.

In the 4th quarter they had worn down the Chargers D-Line and were starting to dominate them. This was a very good sign and they should continue to improve each week as the season progresses.

Overall: The offense worked well and made plays. They struggled a bit early in the game but got better and looked fresh late in the game. Playcalling seemed pretty vanilla and I scratched my head a few times when we ran the ball on 3rd & long but for the most part we played ball control and didn't make many mistakes after the 1st quarter.

DEFENSE:

CB:
Anthony Henry looks like he will be the best FA signing of the off-season for us. He did a great job out there making big plays and is a solid tackler. McCardell made a couple of plays against him but overall I thought Henry was outstanding. In fact, he had the best day of any DB in the league yesterday recording 12 tackles, 5 passes defensed, and an INT.

Newman also did a very good job and Glenn filled in nicely as the nickel and made the game ending INT.

Safetys: Roy made his usual "statement" hit when he de-cleated one of the Chargers' receivers. He didn't make a lot of big plays but you could also see that he was in the heads of the receivers as they were looking to see where he was. Davis did a good job at FS and was just short of sacking Brees a couple of times.

Overall our DBs look very solid and appear to be a strength this year especially when compared with what we had back there last season.

LB: Ware was active but ended up out of position on LT's TD run. He will learn to direct his energy a bit better and will start making more big plays. Dat was very solid and made several good stops on LT limiting his runs to a few yards in most cases. James and Singleton did OK but need to make more of an impact.

I didn't see the LBs blitzing very often or at least they didn't get near the QB very much. This didn't surprise me though as Zimmer doesn't have a clue how to design a blitz. DC is still my biggest concern for this team.

D-Line: I like the rotation we used bringing in a fresh D-Line rather than mixing the guys up. The starters, Coleman/Glover/Ellis were replaced with Spears/Ferguson/Canty as a group which was very cool and seemed to work well. I love the depth and talent we have on the D-Line and expect to see them making a lot more plays as the weeks roll by.

Overall: I thought the defense did a pretty good job against LT and didn't allow him to get into a rhythm. They didn't give Brees all day to throw and made him move around a lot and not get too comfortable. Brees did make some plays on the move but sometimes there's not much you can do about that. We were hitting hard, pressuring the QB, not allowing LT to run wild, and breaking up passes. The defense also didn't have many penalties which was a good thing but I would have liked to see more big plays by them.

For the team, we did pretty well. Lots of new players involved this season, both FAs and rookies so some time to learn and gel is expected. This was a big win for us and starts us off on the right foot going into the season. We get the Commanders next and they struggled against a lame team with a rookie QB and could barely squeak out a win. We can expect them to be fired up next Monday night when they come to Dallas but I'm not too concerned about them and we should have no problems handling them giving us a 2-0 start. That would be really nice as we head out West again for two games in the Bay Area (SF & OAK).

A great win for us and I like the way we are playing. Things should get better as we go along.

Go Cowboys!!!

Glad to see you survived and made it to a safe place with access to the internet.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Henry played good? great.

I thought he'd be a good pickup. Did we get any sacks? I guess I can look it up now that I have Internet access... We haven't been getting any real newspapers down here since the storm.

Crayton looked good? I gathered that Price wasn't active from another thread... Does it look like Crayton will still get playing time once Peerless is activated?

Man, I can't believe I'm sitting here reading and typing on the Internet... I wondered if I ever would again...

50cent

Reaction score
Glad your back, I went through a small bit of Katrina as well.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
We are certainly glad to see you back and ok AsthmaField.

We played a real fine football game Sunday. Overcame a very suspect 1st qt but prevailed coming from behind in the 4th.

Run D did a good job on LT.....held him to 74yds, Secondary especially the corners excellent game....Henry is a stud. We pressured Brees all day not many sacks.

The moved the ball well, JJ 94 yds, Bledsoe played an excellent game 146 QB rating.
converted 3rd downs and scored 28 points. OL did a nice job of pass protecting Drew, run blocking ok but could be better.

Our ST left alot to be desired.........We let Sproles chew up the yardage on kick returns allowing SD excellent field position. Something we need to fix asap.

One positive I know you will be glad to hear is that our D kept them from scoring in the last 2 min of the game with an INT in the endzone by Glenn.

It was a game not for those with a weak heart.lol Great Season opening win.

My game Balls:

Henry

JJ

Bledsoe

Crayton

Key

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It sounds like we started the year off right!

I hope we kick the Commanders all over the field!

And I hope cable is restored so I can see it (yeah, right)!!!

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
glad to hear all is well. We did alot of good things,none bigger then going 4 for 4 in the redzone :D

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
welcome back !! i was worried about you and yours............ glad to see you are well.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Did we get any sacks?

Two, should've had three. The pressure on the QB was okay. Tough to tell since San Diego only gave up 18 sacks last season. Got a sack in the 4th quarter which is a good sign and more importantly the defense didn't turn to mush in the 4th quarter.

Crayton looked good?

Looked great. Caught everything thrown his way. His first reception he had a lot of yards after the carry. Essentially, the Chargers were double teaming Witten and Crayton wound up getting his catches.

I gathered that Price wasn't active from another thread... Does it look like Crayton will still get playing time once Peerless is activated?

Yes, Jerry and Parcells have repeatedly commented they don't want to take time away from Crayton. Plus, Price and Crayton play two different positions. It appears that Price is more or less an insurance policy and a guy to give Glenn and Keyshawn a breather. Also, I think they want to try some 4 WR sets, but they probably don't have enough confidence in the O-Line at this point to do so.

Check out Calico's videos. He's got highlights of the game.

Glad to hear you're okay

Rich.......

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Nothing I can really add **... glad you are ok and good to have you back!

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
It is nice to have you back, I am glad you made it through the storm. We here on the OBX of NC are getting ready for Opheila tonight. It was a great game on Sunday. The Cowboys looked really good except on kickoff coverage.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
It is nice to have you back, I am glad you made it through the storm. We here on the OBX of NC are getting ready for Opheila tonight. It was a great game on Sunday. The Cowboys looked really good except on kickoff coverage.

Where on TOB man? Im near Emeriald Isle.(Cedar Point)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Great to have you back, **!

Best thing about last week's game imo was the D not blowing it on the final SD drive.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Good to see you back **. I hope that you and all of your family are safe. Are you still at home or have you moved?