Astral Projection/ Sleep Paralysis?

Phoenix

Reaction score
It scares me so much because I get a feeling almost like something is trying to possess me or something.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
DragonCowboy;4443543 said:
JonJon, when you get sleep paralysis, do you see everything as normal, or does it feel like you're seeing things that are supernatural over the backdrop of your room?

A lot of sleep paralysis cases (one of the reasons why it's so scary) is because you're still in dream state but your eyes are open, and that sensory information is being sent to the brain. So, say we sometimes have dreams of scary stuff -- imagine that being presented to you in your room -- it feels as if it's reality.

I was just interested to see if this was your case...you seem to suggest that you notice nothing supernatural.
I see everything in the room, but it does have a supernatural or extra sense to it occasionally. It's hard to explain. Like I could see everything in the room, in its exact location as it is now, except everything was vibrating. When I focused on the fan above, it was the same color brown, but the vibrating sensation also made it look like it was surrounded by plasma rainbow, the same way an oil spill looks like it has a rainbow-like sheen of colors in it.

zrinkill;4443557 said:
Set up a recording ..... It will help.
I might do that just to see what I look like when all this is going on and to see if my eyes are open (I happen to believe I'm seeing with astral/spiritual eyes rather than my physical eyes). I don't have a camera or a tripod though, so I can't do it right now.

rkell87

Reaction score
InsidiousCover.jpg

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
rkell87;4443669 said:

LOL, I actually thought of that. But I don't think it is possible to become "trapped" or lost while having an out of body experience. The astral plane is void of distance and time as we know it now in the physical form, but your spirit will still stay connected to your body no matter where you go with what is called a "silver chord" until your body dies, then the chord is broken.

rkell87

Reaction score
JonJon;4443753 said:
LOL, I actually thought of that. But I don't think it is possible to become "trapped" or lost while having an out of body experience. The astral plane is void of distance and time as we know it now in the physical form, but your spirit will still stay connected to your body no matter where you go with what is called a "silver chord" until your body dies, then the chord is broken.

how do you know? you have never done it:laugh2:

also if you could get lost how would we ever know?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
rkell87;4443783 said:
how do you know? you have never done it:laugh2:

also if you could get lost how would we ever know?

That's what I am reading from people that have. But don't worry...I will let you know if and when it happens. If for some reason I don't show up on this site for a long time, chances are, I got stuck... :eek:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Phoenix;4443170 said:
I've had a number of experiences with the sleep paralysis thing. You are quite right - it is very frightening. And you also are right...I am definitely awake when it happens, but unable to move or speak, until through a monumental effort of sheer will I am able to finally overcome the paralysis.

This. I have this every now and then. I have to bite my tongue to wake myself up.

I hate when this happens. :(

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
It's interesting. I've experienced this several times, but it's never been a scary experience, and it only happens during very specific dreams. That being dreams where I am under water.

I'm not sure why but any time I dream that i am under water, the realization that I am still able to breath, and am taking breaths causes this sensation every time. I am fully aware that I am in bed, what position I am in, and that I am breathing, yet I am still fully aware that I am under water in my dream. It's like having a foot in both worlds. I've not yet been able to open my eyes to focus on things, but I can see the outline of things out of my partially closed eyes. It is definitely a surreal experience.

I've never experienced the panic of being unable to move when I try really hard, but it is rather difficult at first. I am either able to snap myself fully awake, or mush back into dream land. I am an incredibly comfortable sleeper and it's really easy for me to just choose to go back to sleep.

Definitely an interesting topic though.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Trendnet;4443501 said:
I suffer from Sleep Paralysis.

Sheer will to make myself move, to stand up and fight whatever it is that happens to be standing in the dark just out of eyesight, has made me scream out loud a few times. Scares the heck out of my girlfriend!

However, once I learned it was a dream , and I was indeed asleep, I don't suffer from it as much and can control those feelings of fear much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I have experienced it a few times myself and every time it happened to me I was sleeping on my back, it never happened to me when I was lying on my side.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
I use to have sleep paralysis on several occasions but its been a long time and happened mostly as a child. I distinctively remember having this and thought i was only one.
During this time I am dreaming that I am pulling myself out of the paralysis only to realize I am still asleep. This happens in a torturous cycle until I finally can move and can never seem to breathe enough oxygen .
I am relieved this has not happened in a long time.

kmp77

Reaction score
I remember being around 10 or so and sleeping...and waking up staring at the ceiling....the feeling of dread and panic rushed over me. I don't know if I was really awake or dreaming. Maybe this explains what happened to me. That was the most surreal feeling I've ever had. It was like the world's 'panic' was combined and on top of me pushing down. Does this make any sense?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
All you're experiencing is a common physical phenomenon that the vast, vast majority of humans experience at some point. To put it in simple terms, sometimes when you "wake up" only part of your brain is truly "awake" yet. You can take in all the physical stimuli around you but can't respond to it.

The majority of people who experience this fall back to sleep and write it off as a dream, but others actually do just completely wake up after a few seconds to minutes. There's no such thing as astral projection and this is nothing more than one of the most common sleep issues people report experiencing. The other stuff people report hearing and/or seeing that isnt there during these events are hallucinations and electrical misfires that the brain unintentionally creates in it's haste to boot up. It's much like to lights and sounds people report experiencing after a near death experience, nothing more than chemical and electrical impulses in your brain.