At some point, teams are going to shift their thinking on QB contracts

Proof

Reaction score
I think this is more of a 'I wish teams would' instead of it actually being the case. QBs are not RBs. The second KC says, "we've decided to pull back on how much we're gonna offer Patrick Mahomes.." is when the New York Giants mention they have 60m$ in cap space and will give him whatever he wants. Supply and demand, there's only about 10 guys in the world who can do everything you ask of them, so it's worth overpaying the other 20 guys in the league just incase they make that jump.

Obviously it doesn’t apply to guys like mahomes. He’s generational and you get it done and consider the ramifications later. It’s tge Daks, and Goff’s and Wentzs you should be cautious on. If you’re not certain your guy can lift the rest of the team, then you can’t put the franchise in position where he has to.

The Glennon’s , Osweilers and Beathards of the world deserve next to nothing but an opportunity

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Obviously it doesn’t apply to guys like mahomes. He’s generational and you get it done and consider the ramifications later. It’s tge Daks, and Goff’s and Wentzs you should be cautious on. If you’re not certain your guy can lift the rest of the team, then you can’t put the franchise in position where he has to.

The Glennon’s , Osweilers and Beathards of the world deserve next to nothing but an opportunity

But the point is when you have guys who may have a 5% chance of becoming a poor man’s Mahomes, someone out their is willing to overpay for that. 10 guys in the world, give or take. 32 teams with huge cap room (if they didn’t have QBs with massive contracts). Somebody will be left out and needs to try desperately to fill the gap.

Proof

Reaction score
But the point is when you have guys who may have a 5% chance of becoming a poor man’s Mahomes, someone out their is willing to overpay for that. 10 guys in the world, give or take. 32 teams with huge cap room (if they didn’t have QBs with massive contracts). Somebody will be left out and needs to try desperately to fill the gap.

Oh understood. Just saying they shouldn’t.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Wake me up when top-tier QB salaries start going down.

Until then, keep rubbing that magic lamp and wishing.
:thumbup:

The problem isn't top tier QBs being paid as such.

The problem is when middle of the road QBs are paid like top-tier QBs, just because you don't have anyone better. Teams making that mistake don't hit rock bottom, but they don't reach the summit either. It's an investment in being average.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think teams will continue, as the cap increases (and the rookie deals and the league-minimum both continue to be relatively low), to pay the premium positions bigger and bigger chunks in order to retain them.

They basically have to.

The second you decide to be "the grown up in the room" who brings sensibility back to how well-paid a given position is, you'll immediately get those guys swiped by teams who have holes at those premium positions and tons of money to fill the hole.

QB. LT. Pass rushers. And CB.

It's why our fans would flip their wigs if we let Lawrence walk right now. Our fanbase and media would immediately pitch hissy fits, screaming: "Why'd Jerry let a premium pass-rush piece leave just to draw a financial line in the sand to save a few bucks? We didn't have an elite replacement ready."

Also, the premium positions hoovering up a disproportionate amount necessarily means that it's dampening the market value of other positions (because that's how zero sum games work, where one position's gains are other positions' losses). So the result of refusing to "overpay" a premium position means not much except that you're now uniquely positioned to overpay non-premium positions (paying bigger amounts than necessary to non-premium positions, amounts that can't/won't be matched by teams who are already paying the market rate for their premium positions). Which, okay. It's just that it's weird to cry about not wanting to overpay premium positions just so you can turn around and overpay non-premium starters and backups and special teamers.

Actually no. It allows you to have depth and survive the season. Top heavy rosters usually start out well but finish soft because any critical injury is amplified due to the lack of depth.

How bad would this team have been without Joe Looney? Top 10 pick EASILY.

Verdict

Reaction score
The only cycle we have seen is QB's get paid more than everyone else even as the cap goes up every year; if I am wrong about this please share. I dont get why fans care; but Dak deserves to get paid. 20 mil is only 3 million more than Romo got on his big contract back in 2013 after leading his team to 3 straight 8-8 seasons. Not only has the cap gone up significantly since then but Dak the last 3 seasons has led his team to the second most wins in the NFL since he has been in the NFL.

I'm not anti Dak.

Verdict

Reaction score
Those ideas don’t necessarily go together though. It’s simple economics as far as the elite / franchise guys go. I don’t think anyone bats an eye at paying them what it takes because they’re so rare. Where it gets stupid, is paying guys who are not good exorbitant amounts simple because the good guys cost so much.

When mike Glennom gets 15 million a yr simple because there aren’t many Tom Brady’s, that’s a problem. And more teams should err on the other side. Mike Glennom is closer to Tom Savage or Nathan Peterman than he is Aaron Rodgers, so he should be paid closer to the veterans minimum than a franchise guy. Then if you strike out, who cares. And if you miss out on him, move on to the next bum and hope for the best. But don’t pay a bum franchise money, because you’re crippling your franchise and ****** up the market. I also hate how mistakes become the negotiating point. Like everyone (agents/media/fans) will say “if Kirk Cousins got 28 mil there’s no way you can justify Dak getting less”.

Well yeah, you can. Kirk didn’t deserve it, and that albatross of a contract should serve as a cautionary tale, not a market setter

This guy gets it. Bingo. We have a winner.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think this is more of a 'I wish teams would' instead of it actually being the case. QBs are not RBs. The second KC says, "we've decided to pull back on how much we're gonna offer Patrick Mahomes.." is when the New York Giants mention they have 60m$ in cap space and will give him whatever he wants. Supply and demand, there's only about 10 guys in the world who can do everything you ask of them, so it's worth overpaying the other 20 guys in the league just incase they make that jump.

Its not so much about Pat Mahomes as Blake Bortles, Andy Dalton and the like. Although Mahommes would make more longer term if he takes a little bit less in the short run so they can keep a team around him and win lots of SBs

SSoup

Reaction score
Actually no. It allows you to have depth and survive the season. Top heavy rosters usually start out well but finish soft because any critical injury is amplified due to the lack of depth.

How bad would this team have been without Joe Looney? Top 10 pick EASILY.
Um, Looney signed with us for 2 years at 1.7M and then re-signed with us for 2 years at 2.1M. You understand that's nothing more than inexpensive backup money. Paying the premium positions (a QB, a LT, a pass rusher, and a corner) market value isn't the difference between us being able or not able to sign a guy for backup money at barely over a million a year. We were a more top-heavy roster when we signed him, and it didn't stop us from signing him. So, yeah.