at what age did your vision become a problem?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i've always had great vision... but in the last 4 months or so i can't read small print up close..

i have to look at it about 18 inches away or so.

i'm 43

anyone else experience this after 40?

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
I was about 30 when I started having trouble reading license plates at night.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Yep. I'm just about 42 and my vision has been declining in the last year. I haven't seen a doctor, but I'm betting staring into this cursed monitor for a living is finally taking it's toll.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
well when i was about 5 my parents realised i had been cursed from god with CRAP for eyes lol

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Right around 14. Dad started losing his a bit, but it was stress related. He wears reading glasses and prescription shooting glasses, but that's it.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
my mum had to get glasses around that age. the optician told her most folk experiance this around that age due to the fact that not that long ago thats how long we lived for so thats how long our eyes lasted. we haven't evolved as quickly as the science which has us living longer. don't know if thats entirely true but its quite a cool theory and sounds fairly probable to me.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I got glasses when I was 8. I can see about 4 inches past my nose without my contacts.

Kilyin was the same (before laser surgery) so our daughter is pretty much doomed to poor eyesight from an early age.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I got prescription reading glasses about 2 months ago. I started having trouble reading when I hit 45.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
lane;3425857 said:
i've always had great vision... but in the last 4 months or so i can't read small print up close..

i'm 43

It is called presbyopia and virtually everyone who lives long enough eventually gets it. It gets progressively worse with age. ( link )

I added presbyopia to my myopia and astigmatism while in my mid-40s.

Because your vision is otherwise great, it might be worth it for you to check out a decent pair of nonprescription generic reading glasses. They come in different strengths.

I have a brother who has otherwise good vision and the higher quality drug store glasses do the trick for him.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Around 10. I'm damn near legally blind without contacts, but with 'em I have 20/10 vision. Pretty neat.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Around 9 I had problems reading the chalkboard. At 11 I couldn't read it at all and the teacher busted me. I got glasses shortly after.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Jon88;3425942 said:
Around 9 I had problems reading the chalkboard. At 11 I couldn't read it at all and the teacher busted me. I got glasses shortly after.

Yep, a blurry chalkboard in 8th Grade was my first sign. Also, I kept swinging and missing in Little league.

"Maybe you just sucked."

Shut up.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3425910 said:
I had my annual checkup in late Dec and they said I still have 20/20.

But thats hindsight --what can you see in front of ya:)

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
7th grade when I couldn't read the board ---went to progressive lens in my mid fortys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If not for an eye infection I got 10 years ago, I'd have 20/20 in both eyes.

One eye is 20/20, the other is 20/40 without flareups. With a flare up, I stay off the road.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
lane;3425857 said:

i'm 43

Mine went South at 43 as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lane;3425857 said:
Welcome to the rest of your life. It all goes down hill from there.

:lmao:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My vision went in 2nd grade and my contacts are a 8.3.