At what moment did Jerry transform from cheapskate to big-spending splurger?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
There was a time when Jerry was stingy and tried to stiff Emmitt by giving him an unsatisfactory contract, and also charged the Cowboys players for the cost of their meals (the only team in the NFL to do that - I'm not sure if they still do.) He was also known for being a cheapskate.

Now, Jerry is a big spender and has to be restrained from throwing big money at people, and is accused of giving players much heftier contracts than they deserve. At what point did he cross over?

Shinaoi

Reaction score
The cowboys are worth about 40 times the amount now than when he bought them. Something like the difference between 140 million and 5 billion. Good investment there.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He was a cheapskate when his primary focus was paying off the loan he took to purchase the team. He splurged after he became rich and wanted more notoriety as a General Manager trying to prove any coach could win with the talent he amassed.

Also, it is easier for him to splurge when there is a cap in place to control his costs and guarantee profits.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As the owner of the team, Jerry has historically not spared any expense to advance the value of this franchise, but it took baby steps to get there. He had to pinch pennies, in the beginning, to get his loans paid. But that had to be hard on him because it was really against his nature. Moving from Texas Stadium to Jerryworld was huge for the Cowboys value. Moving from Valley Ranch to the Star in Frisco was even more of a sign of the times. Jerry has always been a big deal in his own mind. Even when he was borrowing money to buy the team, he had visions in his head to make what is now a reality. Even if it took some coaxing from his children to proceed with the Star, earlier than he anticipated, Jerry is all about the glitz and show. It's all about marketing.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
When? My guess is once he figured out that any of 500 coaches couldn't win with Johnson's team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There was a time when Jerry was stingy and tried to stiff Emmitt by giving him an unsatisfactory contract, and also charged the Cowboys players for the cost of their meals (the only team in the NFL to do that - I'm not sure if they still do.) He was also known for being a cheapskate.

Now, Jerry is a big spender and has to be restrained from throwing big money at people, and is accused of giving players much heftier contracts than they deserve. At what point did he cross over?

This is the VERY FIRST time I've heard ANYONE at ANY time refer to Jones as a cheapskate. The same guy who as as soon as he became an NFL owner proceeded to pay backups starters money that eventually did become starters on other teams when the cap started. And what you think is some big example that is actually funny that Emmitt held out because he didn't like the offer the Cowboys made. It would be a legit example if, that huge word if, IF Emmitt was the only player in the NFL who ever held out because he didn't like the contract offered to him, but as we both know that's not the case. In fact before there was free agency and teams had a strangle hold on players there were a couple that held out because they didn't like the contract they had. One became pretty famous because he held out for the entire 1980 season, John Riggins. Oh did I also mention that at the time Emmitt was STILL under contract and wasn't living up to the contract he already signed and was worried about what he was going to get paid in 2 years. At that time Emmitt had led the league in rushing but was a long long ways from being the all time rushing leader yet eventually who you call a cheapskate paid him and he was the highest paid RB in the history of the NFL.

The next thing you're going to say is Tom Landry isn't a legend.

Blue64

Reaction score
I myself have called old Jerrah many things but cheap isn’t one word I’ve associated with him.
Despite all his inabilities as a GM this man is a marketing genius... look at what he’s done for the brand and the NFL
However, he is a businessman first and foremost, but I do remember reading an article about him and his generosity towards players where they described critical moments in their lives / careers where Jerry stepped up wether it was giving the player use of his personal plane or financial support or services paid for by JJ himself.
Despite all his failings I have yet to see a player knock old JJ as a person and that in itself speaks volumes.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He was never a cheapskate. Jerry was a businessman who bought the cowboys on credit and was losing money every month. He had to cut corners to get out of debt and make a profit. "Cheap" is when you have money but refuse to spend it. He might be the "poorest" guy ever to buy an NFL franchise. Most other NFL owners make more money in other businesses. The cowboys have been Jerry's primary business since the day he bought them.

Swanny

Reaction score

Probably when he started making money