Atlanta Braves thread!!!

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Risen Star;4131363 said:
Yeah, the Phillies went all out in those games. Sitting starters and such. They clearly had a ton to play for.

The Nationals just swept us in four games. Our lineup tonight was littered with names like Orr, Gload and Bowker. Give me a break. They went into spring training mode a week ago.

Now maybe the lull here prevents them from getting back in stride and they end up getting beaten in the first playoff series. That's possible. But these games being played right now mean absolutely nothing to the Phillies and they're playing like it.

They better start playing well because right now it seems like deja vu from the end of last year when our bats went cold and it cost us a trip to the Series.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4131427 said:
They better start playing well because right now it seems like deja vu from the end of last year when our bats went cold and it cost us a trip to the Series.

Could happen.

Could also mean nothing. The Yankees lost 12 of their last 15 games in one of their World Series title years in the late 90s.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Well, stick a fork, Braves are done. Needing to preserve a 1-game lead and they run derek lowe out there, who, to no one's surprise, gives up 4 runs. **** Derek Lowe.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
As a Phillies fan, I take nothing for granted. Anything can happen. For you Braves fans, you may just get in on the final day, like last year, right?

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I knew this was going to happen. The front office needs to brutally murder (ok ill settle for firing) every single person from the manager on down to the trainers. Clean ****in' house.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DIAF;4147683 said:
I knew this was going to happen. The front office needs to brutally murder (ok ill settle for firing) every single person from the manager on down to the trainers. Clean ****in' house.

Braves fans should stay out of the Rangers thread acting like a fan when they clearly aren't.

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
I'm sick but it's our protocol....We always and I mean always.

..CHOKE

There's no way around it...

Go Braves in 2012 !!!!!!!!!!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Easily one of the worst implosions in baseball history!

Anyone want a Derek Lowe? We got one for sale - he's FREE :banghead:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
That was hard to watch, indeed. The Braves were up 10 1/2 games on St. Louis on August 27th. I really can't believe that it happened. It's pretty shocking for a team that had the 2nd best record in baseball and led the wildcard since June 8th. That was an epic meltdown, indeed. I thought the team was done in Florida, honestly.

The Braves had a good year, but they have to finish that. There really are no excuses, but it's a young team. That shouldn't have happened, and they can thank their ice cold bats with runners on base, too.

I stated it earlier in the thread. You can look back at two games.

@ St. Louis- Atlanta leads 3-1 in the bottom of the 9th and has 2 outs and a man on first base and loses. That was the first game of the series, and the Cardinals needed to win every game of that series. The Braves never recovered, and the Cardinals continued to roll.

@ Florida- Atlanta has a 1 run lead (in the bottom of the 9th) with 2 outs and the bases empty and loses. Chipper lost the game ending out in the lights, and Kimbrel didn't pick him up. Crusher.

Those were back breakers. Losing their two best starting pitchers caught up to them in September and ultimately did them in. The backbone of the team (Venters and Kimbrel) looked tired in the end due to the starters not going deeper into the games. These guys had to be perfect for the Braves to win, and that is a ton of pressure on them. They had great years, and the Braves are not even close to contending without them.

Nevertheless, those young rookie pitchers gave the Braves every opportunity to close this out. They did their jobs well and pitched good and gave their team a chance to get it done and win. This is a pitching team, and the hitting with runners in scoring position (during September) was atrocious.

If you lose 2/3 to New York, @ Florida, @ Washington, and get swept @ St. Louis, you really don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals. They deserved it in the end. They went 5-1 against the Braves.

I expect the winner of the Phillies/Cardinals series to go to the World Series. I thought the Phillies would get old this year, but that wasn't the case. They are very experienced and very good. It wouldn't surprise me if they won it all, again. However the Cardinals (especially in a short series) are very dangerous to them.

The Braves have some great young pitching and found a stud first basemen. Craig Kimbrel had a great year, and he's just a rookie. Venters was a stud, again. Hope to see Chipper Jones back. That old man had a great year, especially when you consider his age. Dan Uggla had a very strong, good year after a horrendous start. He's a really good player and watching him everyday will show you. Micheal Bourne is a really good player, and he performed great for the Braves. Prado had a very surprising down year, and McCann and Prado really struggled in September. However, there is plenty of blame to go around with the offense for sure. Tim Hudson was really good, but Brandon Beachy really struggled in September. Derrek Lowe looks done, and starting him was pretty much an automatic loss in September for sure.

The Braves need a new shortstop, and Jason Heyward needs some good coaching. They have to get him back on track. He has too much talent.

Randall Delgado is about to take someone's job, and Mike Minor is, too. The Braves better be glad that they didn't trade them to the Mets. Julio Tehran is lurking, too.

Tommy Hanson's shoulder is a concern, and Jair Jurrgen's knee has to be a concern, too. Losing Jurrgen's was a killer. He won 12 games (16 starts) before the All-Star break and was an All-Star himself and the Cy Young frontrunner at the break. Then he starts just 7 games after the break and wins 1 game. He was the team's best starting pitcher. He was the Ace.

Tommy Hanson was 10-4 at the break after 17 starts, and he should have made the All-Star game. He was the team's 2nd best starting pitcher. After the break, Hanson starts 5 games and wins 1.

Jurrgens and Hanson combined for 22 wins before the All-Star break, but they combined for 2 wins after the All-Star break.

That is the root of the collapse, imo. However, the rookie starting pitchers did their job. This wasn't their fault.

The Braves were not going to last long in the playoffs, anyway. The team was just a shell of what they were in August.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That "unhittable" bullpen ran out of gas.

Shame on the Braves and Red Sox. They're too good to let those teams catch them from that far back.

And now we get the red hot St. Louis Cardinals. I know they CAN beat us, but I don't think they will. And if they don't, I think the Phillies walk to the World Series. They're not losing to the Brewers or Diamondbacks.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Risen Star;4148893 said:
That "unhittable" bullpen ran out of gas.

Shame on the Braves and Red Sox. They're too good to let those teams catch them from that far back.

And now we get the red hot St. Louis Cardinals. I know they CAN beat us, but I don't think they will. And if they don't, I think the Phillies walk to the World Series. They're not losing to the Brewers or Diamondbacks.

The braves missing their two top starting pitchers for much of August and Sept didn't help things, either. The offense wasn't good enough to make up for such a blow to the pitching staff. Next year they have got to have Heyward step up and probably add another bat. Left field is a complete black hole.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DIAF;4149258 said:
The braves missing their two top starting pitchers for much of August and Sept didn't help things, either. The offense wasn't good enough to make up for such a blow to the pitching staff. Next year they have got to have Heyward step up and probably add another bat. Left field is a complete black hole.

You may look back on this and say this was the time the team learned how to be a winner.

I don't know what the deal is with Heyward. Chalk it up to a sophomore slump, I guess. If he shows this form next spring, I'd start worrying.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Well, it was a real bummer of a season, but I wore my Bravos hat till the bitter end. Cardinals deserved to be in the post-season because they are streaking and I don't see the Braves putting up much of a fight at this point anyway.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, I don't want to get into that Ibanez/Uggla debate on here, because I think Uggla is an outstanding player but Ibanez has really come up big for the Phillies the last month or so and including game 1 of the NLDS.

Halfway through the season I was looking forward to next year without him. Now, I don't know.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Risen Star;4152367 said:
Man, I don't want to get into that Ibanez/Uggla debate on here, because I think Uggla is an outstanding player but Ibanez has really come up big for the Phillies the last month or so and including game 1 of the NLDS.

Halfway through the season I was looking forward to next year without him. Now, I don't know.

You know i gotta do it, but MAN that "Suckbanez" is KILLING US!!

:D